Help with 3D Virtual Set using Element 3D (Ver 2)

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Help with 3D Virtual Set using Element 3D (Ver 2)

Postby wsharpless on 12/4/2014, 7:46 pm

Hello fellow VCP fans. I hope my post finds everyone well.
I have a question for those of you who are more advance at all this than I am. I was hoping that maybe someone knew where I can find a tutorial on how to create a 3D virtual set using Element 3D for a music video. I have access to a sound stage that has a Chroma Green set, and I have used it before for other music videos; but previously I have used pretty much static images for the background. I have seen some really good music videos where I can tell that it is filmed on a green screen, but the actors cast shadows/reflections on the flooring, and I'd like to achieve the same look. I know enough to know I probably need to create a plane for the floor and other planes for the background, and I am sure there is some camera tracking involved, but I am not so sure about all the techniques. Hoping that maybe someone knows of a online tutorial that can walk me through the steps to get the green screened actors to cast a shadow/reflection on the floor of the 3D set. I have Element 3D (ver. 2), Proshaders 2, Backlight, Motion Graphics Pack, used via After Effects CS6 on a 27" iMac (2012),Quad Core i7, 32Gb Ram. So, I should have everything that I need to recreate the look I am going for, just need help getting there. I have attached a YouTube of a music video to kind of explain what I am looking to achieve as far as the set goes. Anyone's suggestion on where to find a tutorial that could help me would be greatly appreciated. Video example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynbGXwNMQs
Thank you all for your time and for any assistance/direction you could provide.
-Sincerely,
-William
wsharpless

Re: Help with 3D Virtual Set using Element 3D (Ver 2)

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/5/2014, 8:01 am

You could create a plane in Element and apply your keyed footage as the material on the plane. Then it would automatically cast shadows and create reflections without too much work on your part.

If you're planning to have a moving camera, you're going to need to test various methods for placing tracking points in your scene. The process is different between 3d tracks and 2d tracks.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby wsharpless on 12/5/2014, 12:31 pm

Thank you for the advise Michael. I am going to try that! I appreciate the feedback! Thanks :D
wsharpless

Postby star+circle on 01/22/2015, 8:17 am

Michael,
Have you actually managed to cast a shadow from a keyed footage in element?
star+circle

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects