How do I create this effect?

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

How do I create this effect?

Postby yensic76 on 11/12/2014, 7:44 pm

This may be ambitious but I am trying to throw someone through a wall (visually). So far I have stacked 2 layers of footage and used the shatter effect to open the front layer (a row of lockers) to the back layer (a classroom environment). I need help in making the top layer, in this case a wall with lockers, look like it has depth. I also need to make the back layer look like it has depth or is away from the row of lockers. I used a drop shadow on the locker layer but it looks terrible. The ultimate goal is to make to look like someone is thrown through the wall into the classroom. Any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-12 at 8.42.04 PM.png
yensic76

Re: How do I create this effect?

Postby JPT7505 on 11/13/2014, 11:31 am

You may want to make the layers 3D and stagger them in Z space. Then you could do a slight pan or zoom and achieve a parallax effect. To be most effective though you would need to isolate the foreground/background of each within Photoshop and stagger them too. Andrew has done several of these tutorials as well.

Best option is to recreate the lockers within a dedicated 3D program like C4D etc. You may want to simply look on TurboSquid for some free models
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

GPU: Titan X
GPU RAM: 12288MB

GPU: Titan X
GPU RAM: 12288 MB

Postby MotionGraphics ab on 11/13/2014, 3:10 pm

To add to the above which will definitely help, also play with depth of field. i.e. have the lockers so close they are slightly out of focus and the classroom in focus or using depth of field in the classroom, defocusing as it goes further back using Z-depth or plugins to get a more realistic look.
MotionGraphics ab

Twitter: https://twitter.com/mo_graph

Postby Brandon Brumfield on 01/27/2015, 1:17 pm

If you feather the drop shadow then pull the edges in more that can help some. Also I would use VCP's action essentials 2 for adding some cracks on the wall and stuff to sell that effect.

Brandon
VFX isn't everything... It's the only thing!
Brandon Brumfield

Postby Brandon Brumfield on 01/28/2015, 8:42 am

I would feather the drop shadow and give it some opacity, and make the shadow less noticeable. You also need cracks and bends on the edges to look more like metal lockers bending in. To sell the effect, separate the classroom into layers like (students on layer 1, classroom wall layer 2, etc.) it needs more depth to that still image. Just my thoughts. Good luck
VFX isn't everything... It's the only thing!
Brandon Brumfield

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects