Intresting Reel I Found

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Intresting Reel I Found

Postby kjverine on 02/19/2009, 12:09 am

Hi guys,

I saw this reel on this website http://www.vrabchev.com/web/en/index.html and was wondering if I can get some feedback on how certain parts of it were done?

1. In the intro scene, how did they do the fade effect where they went from original video to the color corrected video?

2. How did they get the green screen lady into the covertible BMW? (also noticed that if that car is moving at such speed her hair and clothing would need to be blowing in the wind)

Thanks
Benjamin
kjverine

Re: Intresting Reel I Found

Postby Vizion on 02/19/2009, 12:19 am

Ok well the intro seems like a simple mask and feather sort of thing. They could have used a transition wipe and it doesn't necessarily have to be from After Effects.

The green screen lady (my guess at least) is that they have the car and the lady on the green screen. You never really see the wheels of the car so you cannot say 100% that the car itself is actually driving and with your observation of the hair, it would be flailing, etc. They could have simply gotten someone to walk backwards on that road and then did a speed up to match the speed as if the car was actually driving. How they got an aerial shot is a little beyond me though T_T.

EDIT: Ok after looking at the shot I guess I was wrong because the shadows match perfectly with the road, etc so I am not really sure about how they did that shot lol... really good masking perhaps?
Vizion

Postby kjverine on 02/19/2009, 11:42 am

Hi Vizion,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm glad i have some sort of direction head when attempting effetcs like those in this reel.
kjverine

Postby Mox911 on 02/19/2009, 11:51 am

It looks to me that besides the few masks and post, there was tons of 3D rotoscoping done.
Mox911

Postby vrabchev on 02/19/2009, 12:17 pm

Hi,
First of all, excuse me for my bad english. I'll try to answer to the questions, has i can, and i hope you’ll understand me.
The original shoot was made using Silicon Imaging 2K camera on RAW video, and the original video isn’t white balanced, so we do that on postproduction. After the shooting, we have change the original car, with this 3d car, and only the window, and the interior of the car is from the original video. On the final video, the car will be completely different, because the client made some corrections, and very soon you can see it on the website.
For the video with lady in the car, only lady is real green screen video. Everything else is 3d animation. The lady is sit on one chair. She hold on her hand one stand instead of wheel and we’ve made the shoot using camera crane. After that we track the motion, and make one virtual camera in 3d studio max, necessary to project the video with the lady on one plane in the car. The camera is linked to the car, so when we move the car to the road, the projected video is linked to the plane. After that we made one new camera, whose pat is near to the original, but her motion start far from the car and only the second part is near to the original, so the perspective is correct.
This is a part from one architectural animation we have made 3 years ago. Maybe I must show the parts – original video, tracking animation and postproductions. There is a wind on her shawl, but the fan we use was very small and the wind effect is not so visible.
I hope this info was useful.
vrabchev

Postby muckyman on 02/19/2009, 1:40 pm

thanks for sharing :D
After Effects hates my ram :(
Mylenium said "in this case the problem most likely sits 50cm in front of the computer"
muckyman

Postby kjverine on 02/20/2009, 5:46 am

Hi vrabchev,

Thanks for your quick response!! I hope you don't mind me posting the link for your reel. Your explaination was great. Will you have time to help me with an animation I am preparing? Please PM me so we can talk.
kjverine

Postby vrabchev on 02/20/2009, 7:55 am

I'm glad you like my reel, and explaination. You can post watever you like from my studio works. I'll be glad to help you has i can.
vrabchev

Postby kjverine on 02/23/2009, 2:27 pm

Hi vrabchev,

I am currently working on the storyboard for two projects, both of them are arch viz exterior scenes. Some of interiors will be shown as well but the majority will be exterior shots. Below is the link to some of the test renders done to the first project:
http://archigraphixdesign.carbonmade.com/projects/2082901
I have been working hard storyboarding the entire scene.The story of the scene is to show off the
architectural elements of the house in colaboration to viewing the life of a young professional.

The second project features a design of a home in a gated community. I think its a very simple scene to produce. Below is the link to the test renders and a small fly thru animation:
http://archigraphixdesign.carbonmade.com/projects/2189363 Test Renders
http://archigraphixdesign.carbonmade.com/projects/2189374 Animation

In both of these scenes I would really like to incorporate some green screen people. Some nice camera motions, and some good lead-in's (animated and flashing logos) to the animation. I saw a few of Andrew Kramer's tutorials that gave me some ideas with a few parts of my project. What I would like to know is what is the best way to add the green screen people in my scenes and what file format do I use when saving my animation (Max & Vray). I am asking this because I have been reading where people have saved their images to .EXR formats. I just want to know which is the best workflow for saving the files so i can use them in After Effects.

Thanks,
Benjamin
kjverine

Postby vrabchev on 02/24/2009, 5:59 am

Hi,
in our projects, we use mostly *.png or *.tif format. for DOF, Zdepht, higlights and so, we use render elemnts.
To incorporate people in your scene, you can use many different ways. But first you must choose for every one scene, what will be the lightening, where the sun will be, the camera, and if there something else is important you must to pay attention on it, to make scheme, and when you make green screen, you must to arrange the people conforming to the scheme. if you can use camera crane you must to place on the scene camera trackers, to make easy your virtual camera perfect. Every single shoot must be estimate carefully. Some scene need to be shoot with static camera. after that, you can place the people on the 3ds max scene using planes, mapped with the video of the peoples, render them in different sequence, and after that using after effects to combine them.
You can use some other way to make your video. You can place in the 3ds max scene some markers, and after that to track them in after effects. In this way you will have more possibility for best CC.
In general try different methods, so you can personal to choose your favorite way. I think, that there is not best way for every one.
vrabchev

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects