Want to add voxel style weapons to my arms

Discuss techniques and films related to VFX

Want to add voxel style weapons to my arms

Postby Scrybe on 06/11/2018, 5:55 pm

I'm going to be doing a short project where I'm battling voxel videogame monsters. (Like the movie Pixels, but without Adam Sandler) The monsters will be flying, so I'm not too worried about compositing them into the scene. But I'm not sure what technique will work best for attaching an arm canon and shield to my arms. I'm assuming that making sure there are at least two tracking points will be necessary, but since we're going to be running, jumping, flipping, etc. I'll need to match virtually every angle. Since the weapons will be holographic looking we've got a lot of latitude for things, but I'd still love to get the illusion that they are 3D. Has anyone done anything like this and have any advice? All the tutorials I've dug up are using a locked down camera and rely on a practically 2D plane.
Scrybe

Re: Want to add voxel style weapons to my arms

Postby ElDirector on 06/12/2018, 10:14 am

Check out the making of "Tears of Steel", a live action VFX short made with Blender a few years back. They show how they attached canons to their arms. You need at least 8 track points for a 3D track
ElDirector

Postby Scrybe on 06/12/2018, 1:31 pm

Ah, yeah, that's very close to what I'm hoping to do. Thanks! I'm poking around on their site but can't find any behind the scenes stuff about the tracking or how they set up their 8 track points. I'm assuming they were holding some kind of rig with wires and balls...
Scrybe

Postby ElDirector on 06/22/2018, 6:19 am

Sorry for the late reply!
The DVD set for ToS has an entire video talking about it. You may be able to find it YouTube if you look. This breakdown shows a similar rig for the robot hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nawbpZOKpD8

EDIT
Here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcW8Gk ... DYKFKaAuJU
ElDirector

Return to Film Making & Visual Effects