AndrewYY's AE CS4/CS5 Plugins

Share your homemade tutorials with everyone

AndrewYY's AE CS4/CS5 Plugins

Postby AndrewYY on 08/14/2009, 1:12 pm

These links are no longer supported! Please visit http://aescripts.com/category/plugins/andrew-yang/ for updates and new plugins!

-Andrew Yang, 5/23/2012

I've been fiddling with Pixel Bender recently, and made this little plugin while learning. Nevertheless, I think it's a pretty useful plugin, with some pretty unique features.

This plugin turns 8 bpc footage into 32 bpc footage, and lets you very easily tweak the results based on your needs.

Download link: http://www.box.net/shared/63cy0kld8x

To install it, simply drop the pbg file into your CS4 plugin folder, and start After Effects. (sorry CS3 users, but pixel bender plugins don't work with anything under CS4)

Find an image or video with some blown out parts, and some darker parts. Here's the one I used:

Then put it in a new comp, make sure After Effects is working in 32 bpc, and drop in the YY_BitExtender plugin.

These are the parameters you are presented with:

Leave them as they are for now, and apply a filter that works in 32bpc to test it out. I used fast blur with a blurriness of 20:

So far, everything I've done could've been achieved with Andrew Kramers tutorial on 32 bpc, and Maltaannon's Bitweiser plugin. Next I'll explain the parameters, starting with Threshold:

Changing this value will determine how bright a pixel has to be before it is considered "superbright". Generally, you'll want to leave this at a very high value, such as 0.98. Setting it to 0.6 leads to the following result:

As you can see, with the threshold lower, the blobs of light become bigger.

The next parameter is Intensity. It determines how much brighter the "superbright" areas should be. Generally, leaving it at 1 is ok, though sometimes you want a more subtle effect. (sorry, no picture)

The parameter after that is Boost Color. This checkbox determines the method for drawing the superbright pixels. If checked (default), the superbright areas will be more saturated. This is what it would look like, unchecked:

The last parameter is the most interesting one, the Colorize parameter. If left white, it doesn't do anything, but if we change it to another color, say, green...

The superbright areas will have a green fringe:

This is a very useful feature if you have bright lights in a shot, and you would prefer to give the lights a color. It can also achieve some nice, stylistic effects.

Of course, this plugin doesn't only apply to the fast blur filter. It also applies to any other 32 bpc effect, motion blur, and more:

Cheers,
AndrewYY
Last edited by AndrewYY on 05/23/2012, 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AndrewYY

Re: YY_BitExtender: CS4 Plugin to turn 8bpc footage into 32bpc

Postby John Scott on 08/19/2009, 12:29 pm

Very cool, I am downloading this.
John Scott

YY_UVmapper

Postby AndrewYY on 08/28/2009, 7:10 am

Here's something else that's been sitting on my hard drive. It's a small, very simple plugin which replaces textures by using a UV map (like maltaannon's youveelizer, but with much fewer features)

It doesn't work with normal maps (it might do something though, but I don't think it'd be useful.)

Anyways, here's what it does:
(the AO isn't part of the plugin, I just overlayed it)

The plugin is meant to be applied onto your UV map.
And here are the parameters:

Input 2: this is the texture that will be used.
Top Left: crops the top left corner of the texture
Bottom Right: crops the bottom right corner of the texture
Offset X: offset the texture on the X axis
Offset Y: offset the texture on the Y axis
Scale: scale the texture
Tile: whether or not the texture should tile

As you can see, there aren't too many parameters, but this plugin does work for some simple retexturing (and it's free :P)

Download: http://www.box.net/shared/t47pd719ru

Have fun :)
AndrewYY

Re: AndrewYY's AE CS4 Plugins

Postby filipe3x on 08/29/2009, 5:11 pm

That's amazing! How you develop those presets? Any third party program, or it's everything made inside After Effects?
filipe3x

Postby AndrewYY on 08/29/2009, 7:12 pm

These plugins are written in the pixelbender programming language. The pixelbender development package is available for free from Adobe.
AndrewYY

Postby tony on 08/30/2009, 12:09 am

Hmm interesting i found this i just.. and i mean literally just got reading maltaannons bitwiser light. Which does the same thing... LOL how random... :)
I make pixels twerk.
http://www.AntonioRodriguez.co
tony

YY_Ramp+

Postby AndrewYY on 09/1/2009, 3:29 pm

YY_Ramp+ provides a clone of the ramp effect, with more parameters, like opacity and blend modes.

A video tutorial this time (sorry, I lost my voice):

Download: http://www.box.net/shared/ymgsizjq2c

Cheers,
Andrew

Edit: I just updated the download with a more useful "rgb only". Now it multiplies the alpha of the ramp with the alpha of the original image. This makes "stencil alpha" work better with rgb-only off.
AndrewYY

Postby JorritSchulte on 06/17/2010, 2:21 pm

i still love these, there awesome!
but are you going to make a CS5 Version of these?
becouse they don't seem to work on there.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
JorritSchulte

Twitter: JorritSchulte

Postby XC LAUFER on 07/3/2010, 1:40 pm

andrew you are the man for making these very useful plugins!

thanks times 1000000
XC LAUFER

Re: AndrewYY's AE CS4/CS5 Plugins

Postby AndrewYY on 07/8/2010, 11:14 am

Re-uploaded all links with updated versions that also work in CS5 (backwards comparability should be retained).

Cheers,
Andrew
AndrewYY

YY_MorphShake

Postby AndrewYY on 07/13/2010, 8:12 am

A new plugin, as suggested by JorritShulte. This one is meant as a alternative to the motion-tile method for creating camera shake.
As you can see, motion tile can lead to oddly-shaped tessellations in the edges of the image. However, YY_MorphShake simply stretches the far edges, eliminating the strange shapes.

Due to the stretching, YY_MorphShake behaves poorly when dealing with geometric shapes and parallel lines, as they will be distorted.

Here are the parameters:
Dimensions: dimensions of the image, don't touch this as it is set automatically
Offset: Use this to move the image around (alt-click the stopwatch to add wiggle, etc)
Border Size: How big the stretched area will be (in percentage)
Show Border: Render a red overlay over the area subject to stretching
High Quality: Enable for bilinear interpolation (disable for faster rendering)

Download: http://www.box.net/shared/ptbx99xh59

Cheers,
Andrew
AndrewYY

YY_MagicKey

Postby AndrewYY on 08/19/2010, 4:10 pm

YY_MagicKey is a very powerful keying plugin, minus the complicated settings. It was designed specifically with the keying-out of premultiplied stock elements (explosions, blood, muzzle flares, etc) in mind, and never takes a long time to set up.

Each of these keys (free from detonationfilms.com) took only seconds to set up, and are ready to composite into any scene. YY_MagicKey always produces high-quality extractions (unless of course the footage is low quality).

Here are the parameters:
Background Color: Colour that will be keyed out
Crush Transparent: The bigger this is, the more stuff will be keyed out
Crush Opaque: The bigger this is, the more opaque the keyed image will be
Despill Amount: Removing any cast-colour from the background
Despill Size: Size of the border around the image to "despill" (0 for none, 1 for whole image)

View:
- Source: Unmodified source
- Alpha Matte: Transparency matte
- Despill Matte: Areas to perform despill
- Final Output: Exactly what it says on the tin

Download: http://www.box.net/shared/q3rue60b0d

Cheers,
Andrew
AndrewYY

Re: YY_UVmapper

Postby xavier-funkyprod on 05/10/2012, 12:55 am

Hello ... Good software :-)
My mapping is correctly and made with 3dsmax in rla (hd 1920/1080)
my picture for texture is very good quality
but after yy_uvmapper the new texture is lower quality
Why ?
xavier-funkyprod

Re: AndrewYY's AE CS4/CS5 Plugins

Postby leandrooliveira on 01/24/2013, 9:59 am

YY_UVmapper is a good plugin, but, why after apply the new texture, it is lower quality?

Thanks,
leandrooliveira

Return to Personal Tutorials & Websites