After Effects || Element 3D - RAY TRACING

Share your homemade tutorials with everyone

After Effects || Element 3D - RAY TRACING

Postby VisualEffectsDude on 06/18/2019, 2:52 am

Hello my Visual Effects Artist,

In this somewhat tutorial, we explore Ray Tracing with Element 3D and After Effects. Although I was able to create something really cool and as realistic as best as possible, it is without a doubt that After Effects is still lacking true real time time Ray Tracing. But that being said, if you dig, LIKE AND SUB. And there is a free 3D model for you as well. ENJOY! Let your friends know and let's grow the channel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PWJ2Vemzw&t=4s

The Visual Effects Dude
"The best way to trick the negative nancies is to simply always have a double meaning ... Then ask for validity through their own failure and success."
VisualEffectsDude

System Specs: i7core 8400K
Nvidia Gforce 1080ti
32 gigs of ram
256 gigs ssd
1 TB at 7400 rpm

Re: After Effects || Element 3D - RAY TRACING

Postby JPT7505 on 06/18/2019, 10:55 pm

You're constantly saying after effects needs to improve because of one thing or another and it demonstrates you actually don't know what you're talking about.

The foundry nuke is the induwtry standard for composting and vfx.

After effects is the standard for motion graphics.

Now can each do the task of the other? Yes and no but please stop talking about how adobe must change this or that, it's rather ridiculous.

Adobe has updates every year through creative cloud. I just recently updated myself to cc 2019.

You mention we don't know how lights work? This is egregious. Just start looking at all the third-party render engines for the range of 3d software. It's all about accurately utilizing light in a scene, global illumination etc. Etc.

After effects was never intended to be used for composting but it shifted slightly to it and comparing nuke to ae and even fusion shows how you need to improve your knowledge in this space.

It appears you want adobe to change ae just for one plug-in,element? Really? There are hundreds if not thousands of plug-ins and you believe they should concentrate on enhancing one third-party plug-in? Frankly element does not keep the lights on at Adobe and that have dozens of improvements on their plate.

You're looking for better 3d, than yes you MUST go to an actual 3d program. That's what they're created to do, ae is for motion graphics with some abilities for Compositing and 3d effects and particle systems.

Please stop spreading inaccurate information.
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby VisualEffectsDude on 06/19/2019, 12:03 am

Hey there,

Thanks for your reply and helping in some education here. I always enjoy when people with more knowledge help light up places where I may not know or understand just yet. So, your thoughts are appreciated.

These are my thoughts though but I am glad that you are adding your thoughts in here as well. The more of us discuss this, perhaps the more of us can better decide which piece of software to utilize in the end or help each other with our own tutorials. And as you know, I have said that it looks like I will be switching over to Blender or Unreal Engine or Unity so I can do what I want to do. Learning a new platform is always time consuming. I haven't used Cinema 4D with After Effects so I am not sure how well it works with it. If you have, let me know. Element 3D is an awesome piece of 3rd party plugins and since so many of us use it with After Effects, wouldn't it be cool if Adobe just said "let's do something with element 3D"? I think so. But in the back of my mind, I think it totally would be awesome if After Effects could do some of the stuff I talked about but like you said, it is a motion design software but they do what they do because we ask them to and so I totally think it is okay for us to ask them for things like this even if it sounds completely ridiculous to the point where we're getting yelled at. Without us, companies can't survive.

And when it comes to lighting, I still think that we are just guessing even if we are 99% on point but with the help of today's tech, it probably covers that 1% that we can't get right. As I said, anyone who saw my lighting probably went that's crap lighting especially if they are expert at it and that's what I wanted, to bring awesome people with lighting to correct my lighting. If you have any tutorials on lighting I am all for learning from you.

You seem to have a lot of knowledge in the visual effects world. I love it and I'd love to learn from you. Come on, get some tutorials going so I can do that. Add your knowledge to what I know so I can take it to the next level. That would be totally cool. Youtube Channel? Website? Prior Work? Share your knowledge with us!!! :)

Thanks for your thoughts. Always appreciated.
"The best way to trick the negative nancies is to simply always have a double meaning ... Then ask for validity through their own failure and success."
VisualEffectsDude

Nvidia Gforce 1080ti
32 gigs of ram
256 gigs ssd
1 TB at 7400 rpm

Postby JPT7505 on 06/19/2019, 1:39 pm

I'm not here to post tutorials or videos, I'm here to tell you to get your facts straight before you dictate them as utter truths.
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby VisualEffectsDude on 06/19/2019, 5:03 pm

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts as we are all entitled to them. As always, it is always appreciated. And again, I think we would all want to see your work so we can learn from you.

The Visual Effects Dude
VisualEffectsDude

Nvidia Gforce 1080ti
32 gigs of ram
256 gigs ssd
1 TB at 7400 rpm

Postby WilmonBlack on 08/4/2019, 10:37 pm

Look I'm inclined to agree with JPT here. Yes, Adobe has started supporting 3d in some of it's software and has even acquired Algorithmic, but most of it's interest seems to be in product design and integration with programs like Photoshop. After effects is a great software to do simple 3d integration in, but large scale scenes in Cineware and E3D are going to struggle to look good and preform well compared to dedicated 3d programs and renderers on the market.

Game engines may become a valid method of real time rendering in the next few years commercially, but please understand that many networks and film studios are going to be hesitant to make the transition until it's a proven thing. This may seem silly, but it's a fiscal and pipeline issue that many departments are not going to be eager to make, especially since many people who make these decisions are not the artist themselves.

I see you are integrating mega scans into E3D. That's a very good idea that I have not seen someone attempt before. However the ceiling for what you can expect to achieve in E3D is going to be lower, in the present and in the future. I'm hoping that a V3 is in the future, as it seems that Andrew is still interested in doing volumetric lighting in AE and is still trying to support model packs. The lack of a displacement channel in E3D is sorely felt and is something you should make a request feature for if you want them to know that's something you would want to see in the future.
WilmonBlack

System Specs: Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
250G Flash Storage
12G DDR3 RAM
AMD FirePro D500 3GB

Sager Laptop (Custom Build)
Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache)
1TB Non-Flash Storage
24GB DDR3 RAM
AMD® Radeon™ HD 8970M 4.0GB

Return to Personal Tutorials & Websites