How can i do this? (video of effect included)

A place for beginners to start

How can i do this? (video of effect included)

Postby Qbeck on 04/10/2009, 3:08 pm

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.com/user/electricity95
Qbeck

Re: How can i do this? (video of effect included)

Postby gregalan on 04/10/2009, 4:21 pm

Hi Qbeck, welcome. You'll have to work out the fine detail but primarily start off with an empty picture frame and shoot the footage. Then drag two copies of the footage into the timeline, motion track the frame. Go to where the face is in the frame and mask the top layer down to just the picture frame, freeze the frame and drag the top layer back in time so that the face is still in the frame and glued to it - using the tracking data to glue the face and frame together. Fade it out when it's over the 'real' face at the same frame and do the reverse on the way back. Hope that gets you started in the right direction.
gregalan

Postby Qbeck on 04/10/2009, 4:28 pm

thanks

I just dont understand how to switch whats in the frame to the new one?
Qbeck

Postby gregalan on 04/10/2009, 5:38 pm

Probably easiest to use a 3rd version of the clip which is just a frozen frame (or jpg or psd grab for that matter) masked down into the frame and which appears in the timeline at the exact frame it replicates. Does that make sense?
gregalan

Postby Qbeck on 04/10/2009, 7:15 pm

I just dont understand-

do you have to make the same face that was made in the first place? in the first part of the video, when she puts it on her face, it takes that shape. Did she just make that face, and then erase the pic?
Qbeck

Postby gregalan on 04/11/2009, 5:23 pm

Sorry Qbeck for not being clearer. I'll try to keep it simple but... There are three elements that you need to create: Firstly the footage using an empty picture frame, then you take from that a still image of the first face and a still image of the second face.

Here's how to go about it;
Shoot our footage and make a new comp in AE and import your footage.
Motion track the movement of the picture frame to a null (if you don't know how to do that Andrew does it in several tutorials)
Go to the time when the picture frame is over the face (make a note of the exact frame you are using), then Composition/Save Frame As/Photoshop Layers and save the frame as a PSD file.
Then go to the point where you want the second still image and save it in the same way.
Then import them into your project and drag them into your comp above your footage.
Using the pen tool make a mask around the picture frame of each image (turn off the eye icon when you've done the first one so that you can see the second image that's underneath - then don't forget to turn the eye icon back on).
Go to the beginning and move the images over the picture frame and parent them to the null - they should now move with the picture frame.
Keyframe your second image's opacity to 0%. Right click on the keframe and choose 'Toggle Hold Keyframe' (this will make it do nothing until the next keyframe ie; stay transparent).
In the timeline go to the exact frame that your first image is a copy of and drag the end of its layer so that it stops at that exact frame (take your cursor to the end of the layer and your cursor turns into a double headed arrow that's when you can drag and shorten it).
(You should now have the first sequence of the 'photo' turning into the 'real' face and disappearing)
Then in the timeline go to the exact frame where the second image takes over and set the opacity to 100% this will create another keyframe (your second image should now appear and move with the frame).

I'm doing this in my head but I don't think I've left anything out.
Trust this helps.
gregalan

Postby Qbeck on 04/11/2009, 5:27 pm

Now i understand, thanks for the tut
Qbeck

Postby liambauckham on 04/16/2009, 1:13 pm

at a quick guess. havent read the advice before so if im repeating anyone just ignore me. but i would suggest freeze frame the picture u want to move and track it to the white frame thingy
liambauckham

System Specs: OS 10.12.6
2.2ghz i7-4770HQ
16gb RAM
1.5gb Intel iris pro

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)