Advice on editing and compositing

A place for beginners to start

Advice on editing and compositing

Postby pvsciteach on 04/8/2009, 1:13 pm

Hi,
Sorry about the vague topic heading but I didn't know how to encapsulate my issue(s) in one phrase. Anyway...

I am in the process of creating a video that is for incoming students and their parents. It will introduce them to their new school, describe some of the expectations and programs available at the school etc.
I will be incorporating footage of various activities with interview clips that were shot on a green screen. I am looking at 40 or so composites each only a few seconds long.
THE QUESTION:
How should I go about the compositing? Should I edit the entire video together using Premier, export to AE, and composite the individual green screen elements and then re-edit?
What I was hoping to do is edit in Premier and export each short GS clip to AE, composite the background and bring it back to Premier. Can that be done automatically using Bridge or something?

Sorry if this sounds confusing.
btw I'm using CS2.

Thanks in advance. VCP RULES!
pvsciteach

Re: Advice on editing and compositing

Postby ngambles on 04/8/2009, 3:47 pm

If you have one of the production suites then they come with a function called dynamic link. This allows you to pass a composition from AE into Premiere or a timeline from Premiere into AE dynamically (meaning that no rendering is required inbetween and changes will show up automatically in the other.

If you have one of the Production Suites then you should really look into this function because it can save you a bunch of render time.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers
ngambles

Postby gregalan on 04/8/2009, 4:41 pm

Yes, you certainly can key in Premiere though it doesn't have 'Keylight'(unless its been added t CS4?). If you do decide to use dynamic link do a quick test with it, I only ever tried once and it frustrated me totally (mind you I didn't persevere with it and I may not be too bright :| )
gregalan

Postby ngambles on 04/8/2009, 6:42 pm

gregalan is right about giving dynamic link a test run.

It's not quite as user friendly as it seems like it should be. It is rather particular about how the workflow is handled, but if you spend a little time learning how to use it properly it can really save you time in the long run when you have to make fewer intermediate renders.
ngambles

Postby Vizion on 04/8/2009, 11:39 pm

For clarification, what are you trying to do in each software? I think this is what you said:

Sequence in premiere, eliminate green screen in AE and put whatever, and then re-edit with Premiere?

If possible, there should be a chromakey filter, as most have said, in Premiere and if you could put whatever you need in the background with just Premiere then you would not even need After Effects. Do you intend to make a background in After Effects? All Adobe software should be compatible with each other so Dynamic Link should work.
Vizion

Postby pvsciteach on 04/9/2009, 3:52 am

Thanks everyone!

I do have the Production suite (CS2), although I'm not sure I want to take on learning Dynamic link at this point... it sounds a bit daunting. Maybe after I finish this project, I'll look into it. Does anyone know of any good resources (tutorials, literature, etc.) for learning it? I haven't googled it yet and I know that should be my first course of action but I was already here so...

As far as keying in Premier, I had done some a while ago using Chroma Key and was not all that impressed with the end product. I think my footage is better (lighting wise) this time I will probably get better results.
I think I know the answer to this question already but I'll ask it anyway...
Can I use the Keylight plugin from AE in Premier?

Again, thanks for all of the input. This new forum is great for us non-pros trying to hack through this stuff!
pvsciteach

Postby Fietspomp on 04/10/2009, 8:12 am

The answer is as you have probably guessed, no.

My advice is after capturing it, bring it in to AE and make a super tight junk matte http://library.creativecow.net/articles ... mattes.php easy to do and will in most cases dramatically increase the result. After creating the matte just do some normal keying with keylight, and if your material was well lit, it should come out pretty good. Make sure to export it using the highest quality setting using the render queue with the alpha channel, (choose composition -> add to render queue) click on the arrow next to output module and choose lossless with alpha (to preserve transparency). Then bring it back into Premiere and put it together as you see fit.

Fietspomp
Fietspomp

Postby ngambles on 04/10/2009, 7:32 pm

You can check out the Adobe Video Workshop for a pretty good tutorial by Max Smith where he shows how you go about using Dynamic Link. It's only 6 minutes long and he goes over how to link things between Premiere, After Effects, and Encore so it's not that tough to grasp. Check it out.
ngambles

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)