Preferred AE Version?

A place for beginners to start

Preferred AE Version?

Postby Sibnosis on 03/17/2009, 11:03 am

Hi,
I love the tutorials on VideoCopilot.net and I plan on buying After Effects very soon. But, I'm not sure which version to buy. I am on a Mac OS X "Leopard" and don't have tons of experience in effects. I have some experience with Final Cut Express and Maya and am a quick learner. So far, I'm partial to CS3 because the puppet tool looks useful, but CS4 might have that as-well. But either way, I'd hate to spend and regret the purchase. What version of AE do you recommend? Thanks a ton :) -Andrew
Sibnosis

Re: Preferred AE Version?

Postby tommie12P on 03/17/2009, 11:43 am

There are already topics on that.

Definitely CS4!
Because:
-most recent version
-Every Fearture that every other version has +the new in CS4

Of course CS4 has the puppet tool, why would adobe take a (new) feature out? wouldnt make sense.

Why would you have a old version if you could have a new one?
and yes, all tutorials and project files, scrips, presets will work with CS4 as well as with the version they were created with.
tommie12P

Postby tony on 03/17/2009, 1:44 pm

If you are a beginer and you have no money.... trust me when i say this.... in all honesty... Just get AE 7.0... You don't need CS4 or CS3....

1. Money- 7.0 is two generations back so its ultra cheap on ebay or Amazon...
2. compatability... there are very few.. and i mean VERY FEW things that AE can't do that CS$ can. and all 7.0 projects open in CS4 or CS3... all of your plug ins work across all versions and so do VC products... so if you upgrade later all your stuff will work...

Unless you are majoring in GD or mographics or VFX... then you only need AE for all of your homevideos and even DVD movies... all that search functionality is only for when you are working on a huge project and have tons of footage and layers and stuff.. So save your money and buy AE 7.0 ... then when you feel you are about ready.. (takes about a year to sort of master AE [ AE is so big you can't realy know everything]) then you can upgrade to like CS5 when its out... skip these.. they are only worth it if you depend on them as income and you are very fluent in them...
I make pixels twerk.
http://www.AntonioRodriguez.co
tony

Postby tommie12P on 03/18/2009, 11:23 am

tony, your´re right
its actually all about the money

like you said. If you dont have much money, you can just grab 7.0. If you have a lot of money, you can grab CS4.
If you´re a student (like me), grab CS4, but with a student licence (student licence: about 80% off for students, I have bought CS4 Prod. Premium for about 350€, adobe just needs to prove if you´re an actual student)
tommie12P

Postby Jackhammer on 03/18/2009, 7:51 pm

I agree with the above recommendations, however, one thing to consider is the Camera you are using. I have a Canon HF100 which records in AVCHD. Only CS4 works natively with this codec.
Jackhammer

Postby Fabian on 03/18/2009, 7:59 pm

tommie12P wrote:Why would you have a old version if you could have a new one?

Have you ever installed Nero 9? :D

ok back to topic.
Fabian
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: speedbreaker

Postby NikanA on 03/18/2009, 9:16 pm

@Speedbreaker
lol

Back on Topic

Well you got no money right? Go with AE 7 or some less Legal Ways.
CS4 is great thats undeniable but Money is probably A More Important Issue Here
NikanA

Postby tony on 03/18/2009, 11:25 pm

LOL @ nero 9.... OMG.. i still use Nero 7 ultra.. best version i think HAHAHAHA IDK i found that funny cuz i know how lame Nero 9 is HAHAHAHAHA.....

Nways yhea like i said if you have to ask this question you should prob. get AE 7.0 .... If ur pro.. well then you would already have gotten CS4..

IMO, i only liked AE.. IDk perhaps im just used to CS3... PS has a terrible UI and it seems bigger.. IDK i preffer CS3 as it has a more free creative spacey look.. and CS4 lags on my computer... but eh...

K :)
I make pixels twerk.
http://www.AntonioRodriguez.co
tony

Postby tielax11 on 04/14/2009, 12:56 pm

I am in the same spot. What are some of the new features of CS4 that I can absolutely not deal without? Is it worth it?
tielax11

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)