How to adjust Null object without effecting children

A place for beginners to start

How to adjust Null object without effecting children

Postby varxtis on 10/13/2015, 6:13 pm

I have a series of properties spanning over a few layers all parented to a null object.
How do I readjust a null object without effecting its children layers? I hope Im asking that right. I just don't want to go through, cancel all parent settings, adjust null object, and re-link the parent setting.
varxtis

Re: How to adjust Null object without effecting children

Postby gregalan on 10/14/2015, 4:01 pm

Hi. You could try parenting your null to a new null - would that do what you need?
gregalan

Postby varxtis on 10/20/2015, 4:37 am

That still moves the Child layers.
Was I was thinking (hoping) was that there'd be some sort of shortcut key like holding alt or ctrl and some other button that would temporarily allow you to move the Null Object independant from the children, and then when you let go, they are all "connected" again....
Nothing like that?
varxtis

Postby ukilledkenny7 on 10/20/2015, 9:09 am

I hope there is as I'd like to know as well.

What I would probably end up doing is unparenting (assuming there's not too many children), move the null, and then re-parent everything. Then the null is moved and the children were unaffected. Obviously not as easy as a handy dandy shortcut, but it's the best way I know of.
Check out my YouTube channel!
http://www.YouTube.com/HaloUnion
ukilledkenny7

Twitter: HaloUnionPro

Postby varxtis on 10/20/2015, 4:28 pm

Ya, thats pretty much the only way I know of doing it. Thats the whole point of this thread... because the comp i have has around forty layers. And some of the layers have properties that are parented to the null object. So its extremely time consuming to just back a small alteration to the null object itself.
varxtis

Postby al board on 10/21/2015, 1:03 am

What do you want your Null to do other than control its child-layers? I'm asking because, maybe a copy of that Null would do what you want it to do. You know, without having to unlink EVERYTHING...
al board

Postby varxtis on 10/21/2015, 1:34 am

I see where you're going with this, but my interest still stands. Does anyone know how to adjust, move or otherwise change a null object that's parent to many layers, without effecting it's child layers AND without unparenting them. There's got to be a way.
varxtis

Postby krisq on 10/21/2015, 2:16 am

And some of the layers have properties that are parented to the null object.

Are you actually parenting or are you using expression pick-whip to get the value? That above suggests that you're pick-whipping.
krisq

Postby varxtis on 10/21/2015, 11:28 am

Your question implies that it matters. So, if it does matter, tell me how. I foresee the following.
1.)
Varxtis: Parented
Krisq: Oh ya, well just unlink all of them, move the Null Object, and re parent
2.)
Varxtis: I have expressions pick-whipped.
Krisq: Oh, well just copy your null object, unlink the original, move the original, and then .... relink?

Its safe to say it's mixed. If it were just straight parenting, it wouldn't be any trouble at all to just unlink, move Null Object, and relink.
Its an extremely straight forward request: How do I move a Null Object thats parented or has been pick-whpped, without effecting subsequent layers (Child layers) and without unlinking the layers???
varxtis

Postby star+circle on 10/21/2015, 11:12 pm

The simple answer, if you have all the layers parented is to create a new null at your desired location, size, etc., then select all the layers connected to the current null and re-parent them to the new null all at once.
star+circle

Postby varxtis on 11/2/2015, 12:34 pm

Well, if I understand it right, you don't know either. If I have to go through each layer and parent each property that I need to the new null object, what time do I save by creating a new one? If there were a button to see only the parented properties, like there is for key-frames by pressing "U", then ya... that might work.
Im sorry guys, but you're missing something. I dabble in this stuff and have to keep notepads for common steps so I don't forget. But you guys do this stuff all the time. I have a real hard time believing you guys spend nearly an hr just to slightly adjust a null object. I definitely don't think you're holding out on me, but...
and please don't respond "Why would you want to do this in the first place!?"
Its simple... How do I make an adjustment Null Objects properties without affecting layers parented to it?
varxtis

Postby ukilledkenny7 on 11/2/2015, 12:58 pm

What if you just parent the already created null to a new null?
Check out my YouTube channel!
http://www.YouTube.com/HaloUnion
ukilledkenny7

Twitter: HaloUnionPro

Postby varxtis on 11/2/2015, 5:53 pm

First off, I do want to apologize for being rude earlier. There was no excuse for it. I seem to be running into a trend.

Issue 1 I tried to find assistance on Forums: Ive contacted Canon Forums for assistance with a problem Im having on my print. FOr whatever reason, Im not allowed to print a 3.75x5.75 image onto a 4x6 card without the image being chopped to to "borders" or Margins. Try to go Border less, and the image expanse beyond the paper size. absolutely no practical solutions have been suggested. More along the lines of, adjust your image size. That doesn't help me get what I want... it just tells me how to do something else. No one ever says I Don't Know, or thats not possible. Only telling me how to do something that Im either already trying and not working for me, or something thats quite different than what Im needing

Issue 2 I tried to find assistance on Forums: Tried to get assistance on achieving a certain "ink-blot/water-blot spread" effect on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125189
The effect is Something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQEYUwL6XV0 Getting the black part to act as a mask is easy enough. Its the image distortion effect Im having an issue with. More accurately, the control of the distortion. Going frame by frame and smudging/warping 20-50 times per frame to get the effect I want is NOT an effective approach. And if it looks wrong and I want to undo it, is nearly impossible. There's got to be some sort of plugin that creates an evolving distortion based on source point an and minor keyframe spread.
The inspiration came from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cn6g9yyjyY
For anyone thats ever seen me post here on Videocopilot, YES, I am absolutely obsessed with the FFX-2 opening credits and want to create my own version of it, except with an Anime theme. so, the sprites the streaming across the screen with up/down/left/right motion leading to the circle pulsating, the Circle pulsating effect, and the Pyreflies emitting for the circle, and the Transition for foreground image to background image by a burn effect or inkblot effect. But it's not just the mask itself... its like the foreground image is bleeding outward, like its bleeding/smudging out.... I want to learn it all. No one ever says I Don't Know, or thats not possible. So far, only telling me how to do something that Im either already trying and not working for me, or something thats quite different than what Im needing

Issue 2 That I tried to find assistance on Forums: This specific issue with the Null Object. No one ever says "I Don't Know", or thats not possible. So far, only telling me how to do something that Im either already trying and not working for me, or something thats quite different than what Im needing

I Hate going to Creative Cow because thats 90% of the responses on that forum. People feel like they just HAVE to respond for the sake of responding, even if their feedback is so far off goal it's not even funny. And Im not talking about my own threads... I get frustrated for others that are posting and get response that don't address the specific question.

So, My Question: How do I move/adjust the existing Null Object without effecting the parented layers and properties?
varxtis

Postby al board on 11/3/2015, 1:50 am

varxtis wrote:Issue 2 That I tried to find assistance on Forums: This specific issue with the Null Object. No one ever says "I Don't Know", or thats not possible. So far, only telling me how to do something that Im either already trying and not working for me, or something thats quite different than what Im needing
So, My Question: How do I move/adjust the existing Null Object without effecting the parented layers and properties?

Alright, I'll start with: I can't, for the love of... I have no idea why you would need to move Nulls without affecting what's linked to them. That would mean that your layers/elements/whatever are already where they're supposed to be and doing what that they should do. One explanation would be that you want the Nulls control something else that is NOT yet correctly animated. As I suggested, you could do that with copies, leaving the originals unaffected.
Or this is a purely academic question to which I would reply: "I don't know of any way to do this in After Effects. And I don't think it can be done."

I don't know why other people don't say "I don't know", but I would have thought that that particular answer is less than helpful to you. But what do I know, 'ey?
I would not have the arrogance to say "That's not possible.", because maybe it is and somebody else knows how to do it. That is why I wanted to know WHY you want to to this in the first place. From what little I have learned VFX is not about trying to get your tools to behave in a specific way but to get the results you want. That being said, people will try and offer you solutions based on that goal. Without knowing what that goal is, it is not possible to know what you really need.
So, again, what do you want your Null to do other than control its child-layers?
al board

Postby star+circle on 11/3/2015, 7:55 am

There is a significant difference between parenting and using expressions to link layers. You have already been given the answer on to how to do when the layers are parented. If you are asking how to do it with linked expressions, the answer is: You can't.
star+circle

Postby gregalan on 11/3/2015, 4:54 pm

Hi, idea totally out of left-field. If you know exactly the changes you need to make to the Null: Duplicate the Null, do the changes on the duplicate, pre-compose the duplicate. Delete the duplicate from main comp, select the Null layer and then drag the Duplicate from the project panel and hold down Alt so that it replaces the original null - rename it back to the original Null's name. No way I can test this but.....?
gregalan

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)