Help needed: slowing down "Wave Warp"

A place for beginners to start

Help needed: slowing down "Wave Warp"

Postby xyzdean on 05/4/2015, 9:45 am

after_effects_wave_help.jpg
here is a screen shot of my settings
Hello - first post so I'm very much the noob. I've created an animated wave using the "wave warp" effect. It starts as a straight line and animates into a wave. The wave moves right to left. I'd like to slow this wave down to a stop while upsizing the wave so that, once the motion stops, the view is centered on one wave (wave ramp up on left side of screen, wave ramp down on right side of screen, highest point of wave in middle of screen).

1st issue: Enlarging the wave is easy but the stroke width also upsizes. Is there anyway to scale the wave up without also scaling up the stroke size?

2nd issue (my main problem): Under wave warp controls, there is "wave speed." You can control the speed of the animation and the direction of the wave. You can also set keyframes which implies that I can adjust the wave speed over time - i.e. slow it down till it stops. When I try this, the wave does not animate. It comes to a stop, but abruptly. The ability to place keyframes implies that this can be done but I can't get it to work. Also, the keyframes are solid squares on the timeline and not diamonds. I know the square keyframes are "hold" keyframes but, beyond that, I'm in need of assistance.

Could someone please explain – step-by-step - how to slow down the "wave warp" effect please? Seems like a basic technique so I'm frustrated I can't figure it out.

Also, I've researched time remapping but could not get it to work the way I wanted. It seems like I need to export the wave animation as a movie and then re-import it to be able to slow it down using time remapping.

Also, to clarify, I found the page below but the explanation wasn't clear enough to penetrate my noobiness. https://forums.creativecow.net/archivethread/2/207077

To add more detail to my question, I found this in the manual. but can't figure out how to use phase to control speed:

Wave Speed: The speed (in cycles per second) at which the waves travel. A negative value reverses the wave direction,
and a value of 0 produces no movement. To vary wave speed over time, set this control to 0, and then set keyframes or
expressions for the Phase property.

Phase: The point along the waveform at which a wave cycle begins. For example, 0° starts the wave at the midpoint of
its downward slope, and 90° starts it at the lowest point in the trough.
xyzdean

System Specs: iMac,
OS 10.8.5
3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Re: Help needed: slowing down "Wave Warp"

Postby gregalan on 05/4/2015, 5:53 pm

Hi and welcome. I''m not sure of the exact look you are going for or how you are going about scaling up the wave... however if you play with the height, width and phase you can scale it up without it thickening - as well as have it moving. You can probably get it looking the way you want by keyframing these values ie:
Wavewarp_Example.aep
Version CS6
(64.38 KiB) Downloaded 418 times

Note that the Y scale is -100 to have the wave traveling right to Left. You could also add additional keyframes if you don't want one continuous segue between wave size/growth.
Trust this might give you a starting point?
gregalan

Postby xyzdean on 05/5/2015, 8:46 am

Many thanks, gregalan. This does help quite a bit. And I see now how you used phase to slow the wave down. I'll study your sample file and learn from it. Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated. :D
xyzdean

System Specs: iMac,
OS 10.8.5
3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Postby gregalan on 05/5/2015, 6:49 pm

You're welcome and glad it's helping. Might I say that really you helped yourself in a way that so many others don't. Very clearly detailed problem with as much information and background as you could post so that anyone answering was totally clear as to what you wanted to end up with, what you had tried and the problems you had when you tried it - and also that you had researched your issue and tried to solve it.

xyzdean wrote:I know the square keyframes are "hold" keyframes but, beyond that, I'm in need of assistance.

It's very rare for any effect to natively use hold keyframes - I can't give you a reason for this, I presume it's a particular issue with the coding of the effect and that it just can't slow down incrementally?

xyzdean wrote:Also, I've researched time remapping but could not get it to work the way I wanted. It seems like I need to export the wave animation as a movie and then re-import it to be able to slow it down using time remapping.

Also, to clarify, I found the page below but the explanation wasn't clear enough to penetrate my noobiness. https://forums.creativecow.net/archivethread/2/207077

When you time remap a layer which has effects on it you need to Precompose the layer and then do the time remapping in your original composition. The reason for this is that AE does things in a strict order ("Render Order"). By precomposing it makes sure that all the effects are done first - before it arrives back in your main composition - so that the time remapping treats it as one total thing in a similar way it would treat a movie.

If you haven't seen it, this page might be useful to you:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/201 ... r-eff.html

Personally I have found Andrew Devis is a wonderful teacher and he has a lot of tutorials on the creative cow site. You're obviously a good detail person (as is he) and you may find his basics video tutorials really helpful and illuminating:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/201 ... devis.html
gregalan

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)