Motion Tracking with After Effects Mocha AE

A place for beginners to start

Motion Tracking with After Effects Mocha AE

Postby Viciam on 04/22/2015, 9:28 am

Hi all,

I recently bought After Effects and a new PC because I am very interested in learning After Effects. I'd like to learn motion tracking because that is a skill I feel is most useful for my work but am very keen to learn as much as I can over time.

I been playing around with downloading a few videos, importing them into After Effects CS6 and then motion track using the built in Mocha AE. Here is where the problem starts...

I am using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-KyRaE7APM . I crop this to a 15 second clip starting at 45 seconds to 60 seconds.

When I click "Track with Mocha" from within AE, the file opens up fine in Mocha. I click the X pline tool and create the shape around the "WING TIP"...I want to have text that says " FLY WITH US" just above the Wing Tip.

I then click track forward. It tracks beautifully. I can even import a random logo in Mocha for test purpose and add it to the track and it stays just above the wing tip as its supposed to.

BUT

When I Copy to clipboard in order to use in After Effects...I do that...I return to AE, click on create null object and paste into the null object. I then create a new TEXT and write FLY WITH US....then set the new layer(TEXT) to Null1. But the tracking is off... its not smooth and its all over the place. What am I doing wrong?

Please help!!

Thank you in advance
Viciam

Re: Motion Tracking with After Effects Mocha AE

Postby stayhigh on 04/22/2015, 9:34 pm

1. Frame rate mismatch
2. You pasted the keyframe data not in the right place (you need to paste it from the first frame of your footage). Double tap u to see if thats the case
stayhigh

Postby Viciam on 04/23/2015, 6:44 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I can confirm the frame rates do match(25fps) and I do indeed paste the tracking data into null object at frame 1

In mocha, when I click on export tracking data and copy to clipboard, I am using "after effects transform data, anchor point, position, scare and rotation"

Please help
Viciam

Postby gregalan on 04/23/2015, 3:59 pm

Hi. Sorry to be vague, I haven't done this for ages, however.... I used to have to delete a row of unnecessary keyframes which come across, probably Anchor Point? Make sure you do it at the first frame. If it's not Anchor Point try each row in turn and see if that helps.
gregalan

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)