Idiot's guide for rendering (YouTube)

A place for beginners to start

Idiot's guide for rendering (YouTube)

Postby Unleashed99 on 04/14/2015, 4:57 pm

I've created a trailer one minute long, but was surprised to find when I rendered it the file size was 14 GB.

I've since discovered I can render it in Adobe Media Encoder, but when I tried doing that the time shot up to about 4 hours estimated, so I gave up for the night.

What should I be doing to get an HD YouTube video that's not a space killer? It's only 1 minute long, I'd imagine it to be less than 100 MB easily. Does it just always take a long time to render in After Effects?

Thanks for any help!
Unleashed99

Re: Idiot's guide for rendering (YouTube)

Postby LordEdington on 04/18/2015, 12:38 am

In Adobe Media Encoder, you'll see your project in the list and the file output location on the right of that and the format you're exporting to in the middle or soemthign. At 14GB, it's probably set to AVI or QT Animation. Click on that and your output options box will come up. If you're going for Youtube then go for H.264 (mp4) for the output format, and set the minimum bitrate to 8. That's what Youtube recommends the last time I checked. You can go for a two pass render which will improve the quality slightly, but will also increase the render time.

An mp4 file of a minute at those settings should be a lot less than 100Mb.

As for render times, depends on the complexity of your project and your computer specs.
LordEdington

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Stencil_Media

Re: Idiot's guide for rendering (YouTube)

Postby Todd_Kopriva on 04/18/2015, 11:49 am

There are YouTube encoding presets in Adobe Media Encoder. We built those with Google/YouTube, so you can trust them to match their specifications.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe After Effects team
After Effects team blog
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd_Kopriva

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)