After Effects improve rendering time

A place for beginners to start

After Effects improve rendering time

Postby Manamaster on 03/25/2015, 6:25 pm

Even though I've followed the Adobe's guides to optimize AfterFX I consider the rendering time to be way too long; I'm using AFX to animate a 2D short film, so far I've animated 50 seconds and the render time is ~35 minutes.

I'm asking for guidance, because my PC is good enough for games like BF4 and Titanfall in fullHD 60 frames per second.

Thanks in advance.
Manamaster

Re: After Effects improve rendering time

Postby stayhigh on 03/27/2015, 10:33 am

Maybe someone can give you a better advice and some more info on the subject. The first thing that comes to mind is to check if you have the multiprocessoring on. Even if you don't have that much layers and effects in your comp it might take longer because of the duration of your movie.
stayhigh

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 03/27/2015, 2:40 pm

Without more info, it's hard to tell.
Do you have your comp set to use the ray-traced renderer or the standard renderer?
What exact (down to the last decimal) is your AE version number? (Is it 13.2.0.49?)
What is your OS version?
What are your system specs?
What are your memory and multiprocessing settings?
What effects have you applied?
What are your comp's settings?
What are your render settings?
What assets are you using?
And any other info you think might be pertinent.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Manamaster on 03/29/2015, 5:38 pm

I'm using After Effects CS6 (Version 11.0.2.12) because CC2014 doesn't render properly H.264 the one I use with my team and I frequently have to reinstall it due to Error 16.

My working PC has the following specs:
i5 4200U 1.6Ghz ~ 2.3GHz
GT 740m 2GB RAM
8GB RAM DDR3 @1600MHz
Windows 8.1 64-bits edition

I have the multiprocessing activated, it counts 4 processor cores but, as the Adobe webpage says, I have 2 cores reserved for other apps due to them being logical cores; but even with them activated the rendering times are the same.

I have no problems using Unity for game developing, even when rendering 3D games.
It's very frustrating because I've played demanding games (BF3, BF4 and Titanfall) on this PC without any kind of problem at 1080p 60fos using medium quality. >-||

Also, I do not use Cinema4D, all I do is 2D animation and 2D VFx.
Manamaster

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 03/30/2015, 9:06 am

Are your comps set to use the standard renderer or the ray-traced renderer? I still didn't get an answer to this and it might solve the whole thing - it is unrelated to Cinema 4D, in case you thought you'd answered this question by talking about that.

You should consider updating. CS6 should be 11.0.4, not 11.0.2.

Try turning off multiprocessing. You have very little RAM for AE work and it may not be enough for that feature to work well. This will depend on what is in your composition of course - that's why we should try it and see.

Try rendering into something other than H.264. AE is not good at making that. Try QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec or something. That will help rule out format and codec as the issue.

Are you having problems with one comp or project specifically or every comp in every project?

How long have you been using AE?

Also, CC 2014 renders H.264 just fine. Just not directly from AE, but AE is pretty sucky at making H.264 in every version (which is why they removed the functionality from current versions). You can send your comp to the Adobe Media Encoder. Or, my preferred workflow, render an intermediate file from AE and then use that in the AME to create your deliverable. (There are several good reasons for this. If you're curious, I'm happy to share.)

What is your team doing with these videos you send them? If they are doing further post work with them, you really shouldn't be working with compressed files as an intermediate anyway.

Manamaster wrote:It's very frustrating because I've played demanding games (BF3, BF4 and Titanfall) on this PC without any kind of problem at 1080p 60fos using medium quality.

Gaming speeds are irrelevant. AE uses your computer's resources in a completely different way than games do. For example, games use your GPU a lot; AE doesn't use it.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby krisq on 03/31/2015, 1:09 am

'...CC2014 doesn't render properly H.264...'

Can you elaborate on that? I have zero problems with rendering AVC in CC.
krisq

Postby Manamaster on 03/31/2015, 10:23 am

I activated the ray-tracing and the preview time is now 4 times longer. After tweaking the multiprocessing I gained some time while rendering with the classic render with Quicktime format with Photo-JPEG codec.
Manamaster

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)