First post, and questions

A place for beginners to start

First post, and questions

Postby Opiateofthemasses on 02/27/2015, 5:10 pm

Hi everyone! So I feel a bit like I'm jumping straight into the shark infested deep end with no floaties lol, but I JUST started getting into VFX and as such, I have a few questions.

I am still working out what the limitations of element and AE are compared to a program like blender, but I get the feeling that they will all compliment each other nicely if I can get them worked out :) I am new to both After Effects and Element, but I'm putting a lot of effort into learning.

Here's my first question: I am trying to make a basic "sun" object. I have already made one like the "sun atmosphere tutorial" on YouTube, but I was hoping for something a bit more....3d? I made some fractal layers, and a color adjustment layer, then precomposed them and placed them as the defuse on the dead planet model. I can get a good looking texture for the most part, but I'm wondering if there is a method for making this texture an emission like you can in blender? Basically I want the planet object to project light in accordance with its color and texture, so it is glowing or something like that lol.

Second question: is there a way to freely move the object along within its layer as you can in the scene setup, without moving the whole layer around? I know this one is a really dumb question, but like I said I'm really new to all of this, and some of these questions just don't have answers on the net that I can find (probably because there so dumb lmao).

I am sure I have more questions, but that should be good for now. Thanks guys!
Opiateofthemasses

Re: First post, and questions

Postby star+circle on 02/28/2015, 9:21 am

Hi Opiate,

So, you're contructing it in AE and Element, right? And referring to the Video Copilot Solar atmosphere tutorial?

1) Element has a glow render option (and there's and effect by the same name in AE) and AE has CC light rays, which should both add to the feel. You can also put a light in the same location so it illuminate other objects.

2) The simplest way to move an Element particle is to move (and keyframe) the replicator location. So, if you make a null and parent both your Element Sun position and the position of the other (fractals, light, etc.) effects that you have used to construct the sun to the null, then you can animate that null in 3D and the sun will follow.
star+circle

Postby Farmfield on 02/28/2015, 11:08 am

Not sure what you mean with "more 3D", there's always many different ways to accomplish something, here's two different "suns" I made, one in After Effects using CC Sphere, not too dissimilar to Andrews setup, and one particle setup I did in Houdini...

Now, which approach you take is all about what you need, how close is it going to be to the camera, are the carea going to move around it, etc..
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Opiateofthemasses on 02/28/2015, 4:09 pm

Hey thanks for the awesome responses guys! I actually found all the other tutorials that were on the video copilot site...I thought the only ones were the ones on YouTube lol.....first one I watched covered the null object problem I was having :D I am also going to be checking out those other vids farm field posted, cause they look sweet! Thanks guys :)
Opiateofthemasses

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)