Keying video footage into solid colours

A place for beginners to start

Keying video footage into solid colours

Postby 49th on 02/25/2015, 4:08 pm

Hello! I have some low quality, grainy video footage of hands and I need to key out these hands so that the background becomes transparent.
I only need the hands as a solid white shape so the video quality doesn't matter as I only need to retain the shape of the hand and can smooth the edges.

Image

So far I have applied a remove grain effect to make it a little cleaner.

The problem I am running into at the moment is that the shadows are causing issues with keying.
What is the most efficient way to change the hands to solid white shapes and remove the green background?

Thanks for any advice or tips you can offer.
49th
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 02/11/2015, 12:40 pm

Re: Keying video footage into solid colours

Postby star+circle on 02/26/2015, 11:20 am

The most efficient way is to shoot it again so that there is no shadow and the green is lit as evenly as possible. For this purpose you don't need any light on the hands, so just concentrate on lighting the background as evenly as possible.
star+circle
 
Posts: 935
Joined: 12/6/2014, 3:07 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Keying video footage into solid colours

Postby 49th on 02/27/2015, 6:04 pm

star+circle wrote:The most efficient way is to shoot it again so that there is no shadow and the green is lit as evenly as possible. For this purpose you don't need any light on the hands, so just concentrate on lighting the background as evenly as possible.


I don't really want to reshoot it because I have already cut all the footage. Can't I oversaturate the colours or something? I did actually find a way to do this using "Change to Color" and a refine matte but I was hoping there might be a simpler way.
49th
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 02/11/2015, 12:40 pm

Re: Keying video footage into solid colours

Postby gregalan on 03/2/2015, 4:21 pm

Hi 49th, welcome. Your image at the moment doesn't show much of the hands. Could you post an image of just the video that shows the whole frame?
gregalan
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: 02/2/2009, 9:52 pm

Re: Keying video footage into solid colours

Postby 49th on 03/2/2015, 7:08 pm

gregalan wrote:Hi 49th, welcome. Your image at the moment doesn't show much of the hands. Could you post an image of just the video that shows the whole frame?


You can see the whole frame if you open the image in a new tab, it only shows half the image on the forum for some reason.

Here is the direct link: http://i.imgur.com/yv3gucT.png?1
49th
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 02/11/2015, 12:40 pm

Re: Keying video footage into solid colours

Postby gregalan on 03/3/2015, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the heads up about opening it in a new window. Were this handed to me to do I would take a very deep breath and rotoscope it as I would think there is tooooo much variation in the background to get a perfect and clean key.
49th wrote:I did actually find a way to do this using "Change to Color" and a refine matte but I was hoping there might be a simpler way.

If you are getting a good result doing that I suspect there won't be an "easier" way, but I have been know to be wrong. Anyone else have any thoughts?
gregalan
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: 02/2/2009, 9:52 pm

Re: Keying video footage into solid colours

Postby 49th on 03/5/2015, 12:30 pm

gregalan wrote:Thanks for the heads up about opening it in a new window. Were this handed to me to do I would take a very deep breath and rotoscope it as I would think there is tooooo much variation in the background to get a perfect and clean key.
49th wrote:I did actually find a way to do this using "Change to Color" and a refine matte but I was hoping there might be a simpler way.

If you are getting a good result doing that I suspect there won't be an "easier" way, but I have been know to be wrong. Anyone else have any thoughts?


Well thanks for the help anyway, looks like I will keep using what works and keep in mind lighting my green screen better next time.
49th
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 02/11/2015, 12:40 pm


Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)