Distortion in circle with audio spectrum

A place for beginners to start

Distortion in circle with audio spectrum

Postby YellowThunder on 02/10/2015, 12:23 pm

Hey,
I'm relatively new to adobe after effects and sometimes make these audio visualizers for a friend who makes music. But with the one i'm making now i found myself a problem: Image

There is a distortion in the circle and i don't know how to fix it. I'm using the audio spectrum effect with a mask as path. Hopefully someone can help me with this.

YellowThunder
YellowThunder

Re: Distortion in circle with audio spectrum

Postby gregalan on 02/10/2015, 4:32 pm

Hi Yellow Thunder, welcome. The only thought I have is that there is some constant background noise on your track - very low hum or very high tone depending which end of the spectrum is at that joining point. Check the track, if that isn't the problem then check that you don't have any other sound being mixed in - such as live microphone picking up computer hum etc.. You could also raise or lower the Start or End Frequency settings to see if that solves your problem though be careful that it isn't having any major effect on the range within the recorded track.
gregalan

Postby YellowThunder on 02/11/2015, 7:56 am

I checked if there were any background noise or weird pitches or something in the track, but there weren't any. I played with the frequency range and the offsets a little but I kept having the same problem. As you may see on the picture, the "visual sound-wave" goes like a hill but than suddenly drops like a cliff. In some parts of the track it's really noticeable. Andrew also has a video in which he describes the problem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYbgjCR8PMI around 9:30), but with this technique i couldn't fix the problem. If it helps, i can make a video of the problem. Btw thanks for the quick response.
YellowThunder

Postby gregalan on 02/11/2015, 5:01 pm

Hi. I now understand your problem, I thought that this bump/cliff was always there even when the track was silent. The reason you are getting the bump/cliff is that this is where the low end frequencies meet up with the high end frequencies so there will often be a difference there (it's each end of your straight audio spectrum meeting). Off hand I can't think of any way to fix that, as it is how it is meant to work. And I don't know what you want it to end up looking like. You might want to try using a semi circle mask for your spectrum, duplicate the layer and flip one over over so that you end up with a complete circle that has two versions of your spectrum which mirror each other? Or you could duplicate the complete circle you already have and flip the duplicate horizontally and, if necessary, use a blending mode to 'join' them into one (actually some blending modes may give you interesting results).
gregalan

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)