Motion track very shaky video?

A place for beginners to start

Motion track very shaky video?

Postby RenderMe on 02/3/2015, 3:33 am

I have a gopro video of me riding a motocross, filming my friend that is riding in front of me. We're on a track which is very shaky, so the video is really shaky and when I try to apply a track point to his head, the track point just flies all over the place as the camera moves.
RenderMe

Re: Motion track very shaky video?

Postby plae57 on 02/3/2015, 10:46 am

Precompose the footage and apply Warp stabilizer to it. Then track the precomposed video.
plae57

Postby RenderMe on 02/3/2015, 10:56 am

plae57 wrote:Precompose the footage and apply Warp stabilizer to it. Then track the precomposed video.

Okay, but why should I precompose?
RenderMe

Postby gregalan on 02/3/2015, 4:03 pm

Hi and welcome. Precompose so that you are tracking the stabilized footage. However if that doesn't work you might have more luck using Mocha (which is bundled with AE).It's a planer tracker and can track larger areas ie: the whole helmet.
gregalan

Postby plae57 on 02/4/2015, 4:40 am

RenderMe wrote:
plae57 wrote:Precompose the footage and apply Warp stabilizer to it. Then track the precomposed video.

Okay, but why should I precompose?

I don't believe you can track footage that has the warp stabilizer effect on it. Precomposing it removes that restriction because you are tracking what is essentially a different clip than the original. I also agree with the other answer you got concerning Mocha AE. I have found Mocha AE in some situations lets you get a better track. Some other tools I have found very helpful with tracking and Mocha are the MochaImport plugin, and Masktracker plugin. Both available on AEScripts (I think together they run about $70). You don't "need" them for a good track, but they sure make the process a lot simpler, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of tracking.
plae57

Postby Piilgard on 02/16/2015, 4:09 am

Correct, the warp stabilizer wont let you track the stabilized footage...

You can, however, use the warp stabilizer, export the video and then import the new file, which is stabilized. That should let you be able to use the motion tracker.
Piilgard

Postby plae57 on 02/16/2015, 4:54 am

Piilgard wrote:Correct, the warp stabilizer wont let you track the stabilized footage...

You can, however, use the warp stabilizer, export the video and then import the new file, which is stabilized. That should let you be able to use the motion tracker.

Do you have to export and re-import it? I thought that doing the warp stabilization in a pre-comp achieves the exact same thing?
plae57

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)