Several preview probs

A place for beginners to start

Several preview probs

Postby carrera-gt on 03/7/2009, 10:17 am

Hello everyone!
Well, after 2 years of Sony Vegas experience I decided to learn something new. AE seemed to be the only right choice.

So here I am, "before effects" beginner ;) I've already studied many tutorials and I'd like to start creating something interesting.

However I've got some RAM-preview's dillemas. On the A. Kramer (my compliments for you, awesome work here) tutorials we can see very smooth usage of the ram-preview. The thing is, it doesn't seem to work as well for me, I get just few seconds of smooth preview, sometimes even 2 seconds. No matter what quality I set for preview. I tried to mess around in options, setting hardware acceleration and ram usage manually but no success :( Sometimes the green bar standing for preview status seems to load properly but after few seconds it stops like there are time-range settings somewhere but I couldn't find it.

I also thought about system requirements but my pc should handle it I think. C2D 8400 3GHz, 4GB RAM (although only 3,2 is supperted cause of XP 32bit), Radeon HD 4870. What's interesting, I noticed that during preparing the ram preview my hardware isn't heavy loaded. Actually it seemd weird for me...

So, are there any useful tweaks or tips in this case?
Without any decent preview, work seems unbeliveable hard for me atm... :(

And by the way, I've studied Andrew's blog with the rendering tips, I've tried some codecs for my own aswell but hey, I'd like to ask you. I need to render some sequences multiple times during mastering of my new home-production. I don't want to loose much of final quality so I tried to render clips in possible maximum quality. However due to huge resolution (1280x1024) preview seems extremely laggy as I said before. What are your thoughts about that, which codec should be fine for such a job?

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance...
carrera-gt

Re: Several preview probs

Postby Kai Indvik on 03/7/2009, 11:23 am

what are you trying to preview?
or does this happen every time?
Kai Indvik

Postby carrera-gt on 03/7/2009, 11:29 am

Even the pure single clip imported for the first time onto the composition, nothing previews like it should I guess...
carrera-gt

Postby Kai Indvik on 03/7/2009, 2:04 pm

hmm.....
this has never happened to me.
you're sure you're using ram preview, and not the play option?
Kai Indvik

Postby gregalan on 03/7/2009, 8:14 pm

Hi. If you go into the 'After Effects' forum and do a search for "Why does it take so long to play my video" (There is a search box at the top of the page) that might explain a few things and help you out. Yours is a very common problem and Andrew, in his tutorials, often cuts out the bit where he is wating for things to render. Hope this helps.
gregalan

Postby carrera-gt on 03/8/2009, 3:11 am

Thank you very much, you helped me alot to figure some things out...

I noticed that it finally works better, but only when I create pure effects from the beginning in AE. When I put any recorded clip to use the effect with, the problems come back. So I think it's the matter of bad codec used to render clips. It requires too much time to encode it I guess. Seems like photo-jpeg compression helps abit.

However I'm still confused about usage of my hardware. I brought up Windows Task Manager during ram-preview and what's strange, it uses only ~ 80% of the first cpu core and ~ 30% of the second one. I've already tried to max out process priority but no changes. Also my overall ram usage was like 2GB or less. So why it doesn't use another 1,2gb of the free memory? I think it would help me...
carrera-gt

Postby gregalan on 03/8/2009, 8:36 pm

If you do a search in the After Effects forum for "Getting AE to recognize RAM" you will find a lot of information. The search feature there is really useful. Trust this helps.
gregalan

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)