Rotoscoping / Keying out twigs (Use a Track Matte?)

A place for beginners to start

Rotoscoping / Keying out twigs (Use a Track Matte?)

Postby psypent81 on 01/8/2018, 5:29 pm

Im working on a clip that is about 2minutes long, and has a face behind a bunch of twigs and branches, and I need to blur the face out.
I was wondering what techniques you guys would do in order to keep the sharpness of the twigs and branches.

I've done this clip by rotoscoping, but it does take a really, really, long time, and I wanted to see if there was a smarter way I could go about it.
I've heard that maybe a track matte might help, but I can't seem to get all the twigs in one go, since the twigs are different shades of green, grey and brown.
I've tried the color key, keylight, and extract effect, but none really get all the twigs in cleanly. with a good sharp edge on them (Some of them are out of focus.)

Also, when using the extract tool, should I be in Lab color mode or RGB? The main delivery system is TV.

Has anyone encountered trying to key out something like this? Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
Twigs-rotoscope.jpg
psypent81

Re: Rotoscoping / Keying out twigs (Use a Track Matte?)

Postby JPT7505 on 01/8/2018, 8:13 pm

Is that the actual clip? Can u post a real image to see if it isn't?
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby psypent81 on 01/9/2018, 3:26 pm

I apologize for the lack of video, I know it's frustrating to know what I mean without having an example. Maybe this sample link will help:

https://www.videoblocks.com/video/activ ... tej14xtrm4

I need to blur the face for anonymity.
I know the first response may be "get a better shot" but I work in the part of the pipeline where they just give me a clip and need to blur out a person's face..Just curious to see if there is another way other than Rotoscoping.

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day to help!
psypent81

Postby JPT7505 on 01/9/2018, 4:40 pm

Well, if you just have to blur it out I wouldn't Roto. I would track his face and then add an adjustement layer with a blur and a mask on it to be rounded and a slight feather
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby psypent81 on 01/17/2018, 11:24 am

JPT7505 wrote:Well, if you just have to blur it out I wouldn't Roto. I would track his face and then add an adjustment layer with a blur and a mask on it to be rounded and a slight feather

Thanks JP, but I have to keep the twigs sharp, or at least somewhat sharp and blur out the face, since that is what my bosses' ask me to do..

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
psypent81

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 04/16/2018, 7:36 am

Your bosses are asking you to work for several weeks on one shot, it sounds like...
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby psypent81 on 04/16/2018, 2:37 pm

Hahaha, Not really--a shot like that might take about 15 hours (probably 10 if you're faster). but it depends on the shot. We are trying not to do this as much, but sometimes it just has to be done..I was just hoping someone has run into this issue, and maybe had a quicker more efficient way on how to tackle it that I haven't seen.

Thanks for the reply!
psypent81

Postby Sasha dal Ponte on 04/16/2018, 11:22 pm

psypent81 wrote:Hahaha, Not really--a shot like that might take about 15 hours (probably 10 if you're faster). but it depends on the shot. We are trying not to do this as much, but sometimes it just has to be done..I was just hoping someone has run into this issue, and maybe had a quicker more efficient way on how to tackle it that I haven't seen.

Thanks for the reply!

If you can roto that whole clip in 15 hours, you'll be my go-to guy for every roto job I'll have... :D
Sasha dal Ponte
motion graphics designer

.: MY VIMEO PORTFOLIO :.

sasa.dalponte@gmail.com
Sasha dal Ponte

Twitter: sasadalponte

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 04/17/2018, 6:14 am

If the face is different enough from the branches, you could use Extract or maybe another keying technique to pull a matte of just the face...
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Return to After Effects Fundamentals (Beginners)