question about real world post house procedures.

Discuss serious business and industry topics

question about real world post house procedures.

Postby shogun on 08/27/2008, 2:24 am

i have been under the assumptions that a good post house has many people working on one MAJOR project
and quite possibly even a seperate graphic design department that hands things off to the motion graphic department to bring to life... am i assuming incorrectly... keep in mind i am talking about commercial work.. stuff you see on the regular mostly on TV and such.

thats my question...

are post houses typically utilizing a graphic art department PLUS a motion graphic department or are they one in the same typically?
shogun

Re: question about real world post house procedures.

Postby andyfowler on 08/27/2008, 3:46 am

Hey,

From my experience the bigger companies split the departments into graphic design and motion graphic design. Normally with the graphic designers creating all the assets for the motion designer to animate. However, I guess this can change from company to company, dependent on if you have hybrid employee's that's good at both.
andyfowler

Postby Glacier on 08/27/2008, 5:08 pm

All the post houses I've been in (good and bad) as staff, freelancer and client have all had separate departments.

I've met a few motion graphics people who are very good at design and a few compositors who are very good editors, but generally the best and most efficient people are the ones who do what they are good at day in day out.

You get what you pay for.
A rank amateur in a professional world since After Effects 3.0
Glacier

Postby narenn on 08/27/2008, 7:14 pm

It really depends on the project and the company.

Like look at how many people it took for the VFX in Transformers. There's no way you can assume they are all in one department.

Just scroll down a bit and see.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/fullcredits
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Return to The Industry