VC's Flash Video Players

Help with Video Copilot website and discussion

VC's Flash Video Players

Postby freemarlie on 09/18/2011, 9:31 am

I wanted to add flash video to my website just like what VC has. I notice when I play a tutorial video on this site or play a pop-up preview video, a player file (player.swf) and the actual video file is downloaded to my computer into my web browser's temporary internet files folder. I was wondering if VC have to buy a license to distribute the player.swf file and, if so, where can I go to buy the license for my own website or can the player used freely to implement flash videos on websites?
freemarlie

Re: VC's Flash Video Players

Postby OneEyedProd on 09/19/2011, 9:37 pm

VC probably created their own player file. The player.swf is what is loaded when the page loads in your browser and uses ActionScript or XML to load the individual videos (usually FLV files) based on which tutorial you clicked on. Then browsers use a Flash plugin to play the SWF file. And in Flash, you don't even have to design your own player, it comes with tons of customizable templates. You might have also noticed that some of AK's recent blog videos were posted on Vimeo and YouTube and he just embedded those in the blog. A lot of smaller sites do that now, so all you have to do is copy & paste it into your code.
OneEyedProd

Re: VC's Flash Video Players

Postby freemarlie on 09/20/2011, 2:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I found the answer I was looking for. When you right-click on the VC tutorial videos, you can see that they're using a licensed JW Player.
freemarlie

Return to VC Website Support