Referring to pirated software on the forum.

Help with Video Copilot website and discussion

Referring to pirated software on the forum.

Postby codemonkey123 on 08/18/2008, 7:22 am

Hi,

I have read a few references to pirate software on the forum, thankfully the mods have locked off the offending post.

I feel it cheapens the spirit and name of Video Copilot and that is saddening.

I am all for banning any poster who repeatedly refers to pirated software.

Any ideas on this subject?
codemonkey123
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Re: Referring to pirated software on the forum.

Postby europa on 08/18/2008, 7:33 am

It's not about Free Speech here -- it's about Andrew and the server admins.
Referring to piracy could bring hassles to the team, and noone wants anyone held responsible for any misconduct whatsoever. Remember that Video Copilot is a service where anyone can learn quality stuff for free, it's common courtesy to be thankful to the VCP team and avoid putting them in annoying situations.
Alessandro De Micheli / Video Editor / VFX / Motion Graphics / I/T and security
obiettiva produzioni - Rome, Italy / http://www.obiettiva.it
Not dead yet.
europa
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby codemonkey123 on 08/18/2008, 7:43 am

Could not agree more. I do hope this matter is ironed out and the offenders are dealt with accordingly.

I for one do not wish to sift through various post stepping over the `pirate brigade` If they want free speech then they should allow the freedom of speech to report them to FAST / ELSPA etc etc.

I would hate to think Mr K and his posse are getting heat or any other kind of grief from the likes of them after all he has done for the VFX community.

:-)
codemonkey123
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby Andrew Kramer on 08/18/2008, 6:33 pm

Just please report and we will deal with it.
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Postby tequilaman2006 on 08/20/2008, 9:04 pm

ok. i get the referring to piracy thing. no biggie. although for responding to another person mentioning such behavior got me a "warning point."

this seems unfair, just saying. someone eludes to the original poster's issue most likely being from the fact that he has a bad copy of AE, and I said yes, this is most likely the issue. i get warned. wow. really great.

and then i get warned a second time. this time because someone asked if it would be possible to download the videos from this site. to be helpful, i mentioned a certain add-on for a certain web browser (COMPLETELY legal and legitimate) that would allow someone, if they wished, to access any media file being hosted on the page.

tell me why this is behavior worthy of a second warning point??

if the tutorials are FREE, what is wrong with begin able to access them from your HD with no buffering times, just in case you forgot how to apply a certain technique? its not like Andrew is loosing any advertisement money by us not visiting the site, either!! in fact, it could be said that this will save VC from high bandwidth usage by repetitive viewers.

so please elaborate on this, as it has made me a little ticked off at the sensoring community here. i do not support piracy, or anything like this. but when i offer legal, useful tips to people, i get shot down... thanks a LOT.
"Is it the right of the postal service to search every package to see if I'm sending you a photocopied novel? if its not right in the analog world, it isn't right in the digital world either."

--a very smart person.
tequilaman2006

Postby Andrew Kramer on 08/20/2008, 10:22 pm

I'm not really sure what a warning point is but I think there is a difference between the information you are offering and illegal tools. I'm sure we can remove a warning point or whatever. It is a fine line and perhaps our moderator misunderstood the use. Unfortunately there aren't better ways to protect FLV videos otherwise we would so it may have seemed like a tool to circumvent our website. Just remember people run this website not robots. ;)
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Return to VC Website Support