Camera Mapping of Face!

Post unfinished videos and tests

Camera Mapping of Face!

Postby james_price on 12/2/2009, 10:26 am

Hey guys, thought I should show you my most recent test using 3Ds Max and after FX. (watch HD version)

The camera projection was done within 3Ds Max and the animated texture (Evolution elements) were added into the mapping and composited in After Fx.

I have only just scratched the surface with what I plan to do using this technique..I'll love to hear anyones feedback and hope to post more examples soon.(The source image is a single photograph of me :lol:)

A good tutorial on 3Ds Max camera projection / mapping can be found here if anyone is interested:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/resources/tu ... orial2.asp

Cheers!
james_price

Re: Camera Mapping of Face!

Postby ADNeomedia on 12/2/2009, 12:13 pm

Nice; I've used camera mapping before to add some life to still photos. Really useful info for people who want to expand their bag of tricks.

Cheers.
ADNeomedia

Postby ShoeToad on 12/2/2009, 2:49 pm

Wow, that's just awesome :D
ShoeToad

Postby owenthomas on 01/7/2010, 2:01 am

I've never used 3D max....but thought you pulled of the 3d realism of the face really well. It's felt 3d when the camera was panning around.

The flourishes didn't really fell like they were on the face, like a tattoo. They appeared to be 2D.

probably didn't tell you anything you don't already know though lol.
owenthomas

Postby Sketchiie on 01/8/2010, 2:54 am

Wow, this looks outstanding.

Is there any way you could make a tutorial about this ?
I'm really curious how you've pulled this 3D off .

Amazing job..
Sketchiie

Postby owenthomas on 01/8/2010, 4:00 pm

Sketchiie wrote:Wow, this looks outstanding.

Amazing job..

the original poster included a link to a tutorial
owenthomas

Postby james_price on 01/8/2010, 6:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@owanthomas
"The flourishes didn't really fell like they were on the face, like a tattoo. They appeared to be 2D."

- You are 100% right, they don't seem to show the most of them being wrapped over a 3D surface...my next test will have something that will look more 3D.

- Here is a video that started me testing this technique, it uses some nice still images that are camera projected onto 3D:

http://www.onesize.nl/projects/playgrounds-titles-2009
james_price

Postby Sketchiie on 01/9/2010, 8:36 am

owenthomas wrote:
Sketchiie wrote:Wow, this looks outstanding.

Amazing job..

the original poster included a link to a tutorial

I saw that ;)
But I mean like how he made his, because I really like the texture and 3d object.
Sketchiie

Postby Orgrim on 01/30/2010, 2:50 pm

Great Job mate :D that was really outstanding :D
Btw can you tell me what's the name of that song?
Orgrim

Postby james_price on 02/1/2010, 12:15 pm

Orgrim wrote:Great Job mate :D that was really outstanding :D
Btw can you tell me what's the name of that song?

Thanks Orgrim...The song is called "More" by Chinese man and it is off the album "The Groove Sessions".
james_price

Postby Hybd on 02/7/2010, 5:32 am

This is the exact kind of look I want to achieve in my next project, I've been doing some tests with various software (facegen, 3D max, Zbrush) and I've been having problems mapping the image over the 3D mesh.

Have you taken the picture of your face and then applied it to the facegen export? Or are you just using the facegen skin and then using the eyes from the picture to make it more realistic?

Any further tips you could give with more specific reference to mapping the face would be HUGELY appreciated

Thanks mate
Hybd

Postby squid on 02/13/2010, 1:03 am

Forgive me if this question is uninformed, but is it possible to use this camera projection technique in 3DS Max utilizing more than one still photo? The only limiting factor seems to be the fact that you can only move the camera around so much before it looks unrealistic (since you are only using one perspective to texture the 3D model).

Wouldn't it be possible to simply take more photos and project more than one onto the model? Or am I missing something. Anyone know?
squid

Postby james_price on 02/23/2010, 6:52 pm

squid wrote:Forgive me if this question is uninformed, but is it possible to use this camera projection technique in 3DS Max utilizing more than one still photo? The only limiting factor seems to be the fact that you can only move the camera around so much before it looks unrealistic (since you are only using one perspective to texture the 3D model).

Wouldn't it be possible to simply take more photos and project more than one onto the model? Or am I missing something. Anyone know?

You can create multiple projecting cameras and then blend the maps together using alphas, composite maps, and the Camera Map Per Pixel map. Any number of cameras can be utilized, allowing a master camera to move through a scene without seams.

I am currently working on a feature that will best demonstrate proper camera mapping.
When the shots are completed...I'll do some breakdowns/tutorials and post them on this forum.

Cheers,

James.
james_price

Postby MICKFX on 02/26/2010, 6:53 am

looks great! awesome idea. Really Creepy though!!! haha
Michael Wentworth-Bell, Melbourne, Australia
http://MICKFX.net/folio/
MICKFX

Return to Work in Progress