Post unfinished videos and tests

Re: -3D- Hogwarts Castle

Postby PlanetMaster on 02/15/2010, 10:47 am

I really love your work sooo much (K)
PlanetMaster

Postby PlanetMaster on 02/24/2010, 5:54 am

http://video.the-leaky-cauldron.org/video/1452

Maybe this can help. I think it's really realistic and 3d.
PlanetMaster

Postby jscrogham on 02/25/2010, 9:19 am

Well...I was going to model a Quidditch Pitch for my animation final, but I'm not sure I could ever live up to this... :P

This is absolutely fantastic! Kudos :)
jscrogham

Postby aalalex13 on 02/26/2010, 5:59 am

looks cool :)
aalalex13

Postby Trill on 03/6/2010, 12:36 pm

Awesome job! Can't wait for the completed version! :)
Trill

Postby Trill on 03/6/2010, 12:37 pm

Awesome job! Can't wait to see the completed version! :)
Trill

Postby PlanetMaster on 03/12/2010, 5:34 am

Heey man,

Do you have any updates. How far are you now???
PlanetMaster

Postby BunHead on 03/16/2010, 4:03 am

Dear KingKu

I have just come across your site and have to say I am extremely impressed, here is a picture of my measly attempts at recreating Hogwarts:

I am trying to further this work, as I am trying to envision the interior of Hogwarts and where everything is laid out internally, I would extremely appreciate your collaboration on this, especially as you are so much more advanced than I am.

If you would be so kind I would love a copy of the work you have done so far, and if not perhaps some help with my own work. I would appreciate any and all assistance you might give me.

sr.austin@btinternet.com
Attachments
SketchupHogwarts.jpg
BunHead

Postby PlanetMaster on 03/28/2010, 9:54 am

KINKU!!!,

Where are you man.... I'm curious about your updates. do you have any updates :(
Why arent yoou saying anything
PlanetMaster

Postby SQA Studios on 03/28/2010, 5:45 pm

It's like KingKu was taken hostage like Jack Bauer in 24! Where's Renee when you need her :=~ haha
SQA Studios

Twitter: http://twitter.com/SQAstudios

Postby Rob Neal on 03/28/2010, 6:34 pm

Very impressive. Did you build this from plans, or just hours of screengrabbing and working it out from the films?
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby Chocobo on 04/7/2010, 6:18 pm

Knowing Kingku, my guess is he is too busy with school and tennis. You can correct me if I'm wrong when you get back... but that would be my best guess. And he has NOT been kidnapped because I saw him two days ago lol, but we were in Mexico for a week before that...
Chocobo

Postby talktoy1 on 05/22/2010, 5:04 am

this is amazing....do you have a side view of this?
talktoy1

Postby neo1471 on 05/30/2010, 3:54 pm

Thanks to some posts in here and the awsome job the thread creator has been doing with his version iv (all be it slowly) chipped away at my own version, tho Much lower polygon, its now at the point of getting textures but still a huge amount to go

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/ ... 3_2m1s.jpg
(still working on what textures, window textur isnt perminant and bump matting is still to be done, tho that can be done after more of the mesh)
neo1471

Postby kingku on 05/31/2010, 7:37 pm

Hey everyone, long time not post! Sorry... I guess I've just been completely caught up in other things. At the moment I'm getting ready to graduate from school... so I've been incredibly busy for the last few months.

I have to confess, there isn't much of an update with regard to this project... I'm sorry to say that I will probably not be texturing the castle, at least not fully. As the regular viewers to the thread know, I began this project for educational purposes- basically to learn how to model better. While I have achieved quite a significant amount of knowledge of modeling procedures, etc, I began with very little learning in matters of topology, etc. As a result, it would be incredibly difficult to texture because of the complicated UV maps I would have to create and modify in order to get decent looking textures. So, I think I will create a simple tile texture for several parts of the castle, then add them for a wide-angle shot of the whole castle as the final render. I will still be able to get close to the smaller details in non-textured renders, but I think it would almost be easier to re-model half the castle than to fully texture it as-is.

Another problem I have at the moment is my 2 gigs of RAM is hardly enough to render the entire castle at once, especially when I get a basic texture added. Furthermore, because I am going off to college soon, it would be a waste for me to buy more memory now, even at a small cost. However, I have ordered a new 15" Macbook Pro for college, which will probably have more than enough power to handle my file. The only problem with that, is the file is a 3ds Max project, which is not compatible with Macs, and so I am still in a rut.

Maybe when I get a finished project, I can get someone out there to render out some beauty shots for me? I would appreciate it. Anyway, the castle model as of right now, is basically finished, with some basic props that I will be adding from time to time. I'll soon upload out a few renders of the entire castle I managed to pull out despite the memory issues.

Marken4 wrote:I found this tread now reasent.. and i LOVE your work!

[I kinda joined this forum just to say that I admire your work sooo much.. ]

I'm honored!
I am happy you enjoy my hard work.

jscrogham wrote:Well...I was going to model a Quidditch Pitch for my animation final, but I'm not sure I could ever live up to this...

This is absolutely fantastic! Kudos :)

Hi there, i'm sure I am far to late but I hope you modeled it anyway! If you just look at this scene one piece at a time, it is much simpler than it seems. Yes, it may be alot of work, but if you just block out the entire thing one section at a time, while slowly adding details, it will look fantastic! Thank you for the compliment. =)

Trill wrote:Awesome job! Can't wait to see the completed version! =]

Thank you, I can't wait either!

PlanetMaster wrote:KINKU!!!,

Where are you man.... I'm curious about your updates. do you have any updates =(
Why arent yoou saying anything

I am sorry I haven't been updating this thread... I just got sidetracked and then never got back on board. I hope you don't hate me ||-<

SQA Studios wrote:It's like KingKu was taken hostage like Jack Bauer in 24! Where's Renee when you need her :=~ haha

Yup that's what happened... Unfortunately Renee is dead now, but I still got away! 8-)

talktoy1 wrote:this is amazing....do you have a side view of this?

I can cook up some renders of the side view... Just hold on a bit! :mrgreen:

neo1471 wrote:Thanks to some posts in here and the awsome job the thread creator has been doing with his version iv (all be it slowly) chipped away at my own version, tho Much lower polygon, its now at the point of getting textures but still a huge amount to go

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/ ... 3_2m1s.jpg
(still working on what textures, window textur isnt perminant and bump matting is still to be done, tho that can be done after more of the mesh)

Hey man, pretty impressive stuff! It just shows that you don't need alot of modeled details to create incredible scenes! At this point, I can see that your image will end up more complete than mine, due to my failure texturing skills! =(
kingku

Postby TomPietrowski on 06/1/2010, 3:12 am

The new version of Max is on Mac now I beleive, but I would sujjest getting your model into Maya, and useing RoadKill to UV it. RoadKill pretty much automates the UV'ing, you just need to seperate the faces into differnt shells first.

As for rendering, you should be able to do, a batch render of it surley, it uses much less memory then doing a frame render within the 3d app. Which renderer are you using, I would very much recomend not using mental ray as it just will not be able to handle it with your set up.
TomPietrowski

Postby kingku on 06/1/2010, 1:18 pm

Wakeandbbakefilms wrote:The new version of Max is on Mac now I beleive, but I would sujjest getting your model into Maya, and useing RoadKill to UV it. RoadKill pretty much automates the UV'ing, you just need to seperate the faces into differnt shells first.

As for rendering, you should be able to do, a batch render of it surley, it uses much less memory then doing a frame render within the 3d app. Which renderer are you using, I would very much recomend not using mental ray as it just will not be able to handle it with your set up.

Hey thanks for all the advice man!

I'll need to check out the new version of max, I was not aware that it was Mac compatible!

Also I will definitely research batch rendering, as I have no experience with it. I'm glad you brought that up because I had heard of it, but forgotten. :)

And as of right now, I am using basic scanline renderer, but that can change (and may) because I don't really have anything set up yet for rendering.
kingku

Postby Rob Neal on 06/1/2010, 1:58 pm

Wakeandbbakefilms wrote:The new version of Max is on Mac now I beleive, but I would sujjest getting your model into Maya, and useing RoadKill to UV it. RoadKill pretty much automates the UV'ing, you just need to seperate the faces into differnt shells first.

What is the point of exporting a model and losing all the object stacks in MAX just to do the UV's?
Utterly pointless. There are plenty of ways of doing it perfectly well in MAX including Unwrella.

As for a good render engine, I would suggest Cebas Final Render. It's sophisticated and fast.
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby TomPietrowski on 06/2/2010, 1:02 pm

Well by the time your UV'ing you will have deleted all the modifer history any way, espeically on a huge mdel like this, to save memory. Im sure there are ways to do it in max too, I do not deny that, Iv just heard max is not as good for UV'ing, so if he did get the mac and did not want to get max it could be done in maya too, pretty easily.
TomPietrowski

Postby google550 on 06/2/2010, 2:58 pm

On the topic of UV's have you considered projection mapping? I suppose that could be just as much work as normal UVing, but if you only want the textures for beauty passes I'm sure you could use projection mapping to your advantage. It's also a plus that your model is pretty much spatially accurate, so if you were to grab a good still from one of the movies and map that on you could save yourself a lot of time! Or is that considered cheating?

Just a suggestion.
google550

Postby Rafs LaPierre on 06/2/2010, 7:28 pm

Hello
I'm not coming on this forum ever, only occasionally (I confess that just to see if the model was finished *-*).
But I remember very well once he saw the creator in doubt about the location of the tower where Dumbledore was killed (following the castle of the movie, of course.)
And I think I know where it is.
I only regret being a part of you has already done.
I'm sure this tower is the tower most closer to those who see the image, one with circular shape, which has three windows placed on right side(the right side of those who see the tower, not the right side of the tower in itself).
I know there is a sort of a sentry box (like the observatory) on top of the tower, but beyond this "watch tower" has more one tower, this tower is exactly what I mean.
This tower that missing is the place where Dumbledore died
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5951/hogwarts65.jpg
The tower where Dumbledore was killed is on top of that tower.
It was snapped up there only for the sixth film.
For that reason they probably have in your model these towers are not yet present.
The following photo is the official replica of the castle
Note that this tower which I refer is not yet in the model.
http://blogdebrinquedo.com.br/wp-conten ... aquete.jpg
If you can not find where I'm talking about, can post here.
I'll try to explain again if necessary.
I hope I helped
PS: The tower where he was killed not to be confused with the Tower of Dumbledore's office, which is actually one set of towers, tower over the thickest of the castle, beside the great hall.
PS2:do not care about my English.
I am Brazilian and I do not speak English fluently. >-||
Rafs LaPierre

Postby kingku on 06/2/2010, 8:59 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! You all bring up very good points!

@Wakeandbake: I see what you mean... I think I may just bring it into another program (maybe even blender!) that is mac compatible. Although I'm not sure if it is for sure. Otherwise there is always bootcamp. =\

@google: I never thought of projection mapping... I've never really tried it out before, but now that I think about it, it could be a possibility if I am rendering from select angles.

I'm glad for the different perspectives you guys bring, I would not have thought of all these possibilities. :)
kingku

Postby TieDye_Chicken on 06/5/2010, 1:33 pm

KingKu, your work really inspires me to start modeling again. I've been lazily searching for Hogwarts blueprints for past several years now, but I haven't done any work on it in a while. I really wish I had found this forum earlier, as I could have helped with screenshots and reference points. I'm currently trying to find out how to extract the mapping files from the fifth and six video games (I have them on the Wii, so it's a little difficult) so that I could draw up some blueprints in SketchUp, but I wish that could have happened earlier. Anyways, your model looks great! If you still need any help, I'm here. :)
TieDye_Chicken

Postby colt on 06/7/2010, 8:55 pm

:O your back! Ive been coming back to this forum almost once a week since i found out about it to see if you had posted anything new. glad to see you back!
colt

Postby kingku on 06/8/2010, 2:33 pm

@Rafs LaPierre
Wow thank you for the insight!

I had figured out some of what you said, but I never could seem to pinpoint exactly where the tower where Dumbledore died was. Now (I think) I know. =)

Also, you're English is fine, don't worry about it! :)

@TieDye_Chicken
Wow I'm glad I've inspired you haha... I need that myself often. :=~
Also thanks for the offer to help, i'll be sure to ask if needed! :lol:

@Colt
I've got to say, your post kinda motivated me to keep working. It's awesome to hear that people actually come here just to check out my project!
=====
Well, here are some new renders of the Quidditch pitch. I started working on it a little bit again- mostly messing with textures and hooking up the actual goal posts. Also below are some random renders I found that (I think) I have not posted here.

(PICS OF QUIDDITCH PITCH ARE OLDEST TO NEWEST)

Ok these last few pictures were larger than I thought they were, so you cannot view them fully on this page. If you want to see the full images, right click on them and select "View Image"
kingku

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress