-3D- Hogwarts Castle

Post unfinished videos and tests

Re: -3D- Hogwarts Castle

Postby robdonn on 01/23/2010, 8:37 pm

I put together all the scenes that have the Astronomy tower from HP6. Frame rate is crap and each scene is cut off a bit short, but its in 720 so hopefully it'll be some help for you.

robdonn

Postby Catbox on 01/23/2010, 10:37 pm

the model continues to get better and better :)...
if you are getting super high on the poly count...
you could try "crazy bump" to make really cool bump maps
http://www.crazybump.com/

or nvidias free... normal map generator
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/phot ... ugins.html

It's cool if you want to add the detail with polys... the bump/normal tools just give
extra flexibility...

anyway.... your model(s) are a heck of an undertaking... and fun to watch it progress.
Catbox

Postby kingku on 01/23/2010, 11:39 pm

@robdonn: Wowowowow! I can't believe you did this for me, thank you so much! The frame rate is totally fine, because i'll be pausing it for reference anyway. :)

This is why I like the community here so much, because everyone helps everyone out. :D

@Catbox: Yes, I very much agree with you. I will definitely need to start using bump maps for the smaller details. crazy bump is an awesome program, i'm sure i'll be using it soon.

Ok, well I was just figuring out how I will be creating the pillars, and here is what I wish I could apply to my scene:

I created this supa high poly pillar with use of a base mesh, then a diffuse map, bump map, and awesome displacement map. Then I used ivy generator to create the strands of ivy going up the pillar. The total poly count for this single pillar is over 60,000, way too much for me to be duplicating about 30 times... Well, a bump map will still look pretty good from further distances but this version would be awesome!

Anyone have a spare i7 processor I can have? :twisted:
kingku

Postby PlanetMaster on 01/24/2010, 9:03 am

Woowww I Love it :D

You are a real pro man!!! :mrgreen:
PlanetMaster

Postby Chocobo on 01/24/2010, 5:07 pm

Hey kingku, hopefully you can guess my identity from my user name... anyways, I checked out the thread and was surprised that no one has linked you to the HP lexicon. Maybe you checked it out already but since it is canon (by JK Rowling) you ought to check it out.

http://www.hplex.info/images/jkr/jkr-hogwartsmap.JPG

It's not much of anything at all concerning the castle it's self, but if you plan on expanding a bit to the grounds, it should prove useful. Also, the configuration of the towers might be enlightening.

On second thought, here is the HP lexicon's atlas of Hogwarts. Some of the maps are crap, but the lexicon has some hidden jewels in there. More so again if/when you model the grounds, but it should be some help.
Chocobo

Postby kingku on 01/25/2010, 12:18 am

@PlanetMaster: Wow thanks for the compliment, I hope to be a pro someday! :ugeek:

@Chocobo: Hey Eric! Yea I checked out all the maps (and have them saved on my HD) a long time ago. There are some pretty nice layouts and stuff in that site, which I have used a bit, especially at the beginning. :)

Anyway, here is my start on the courtyard for tonight:

EDIT: K so that I don't have to bump the thread, here's the next night's work! You can't see really, but I added and changed a few things in the courtyard, and started on the center fountain model. I'll post a full picture of the courtyard soon enough...

kingku

Postby neo1471 on 01/26/2010, 10:01 am

lol pain, not had much time to work on mine but heres its latest pic (messed around with the sketchup styles before taking a screenshot)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/ ... warts3.jpg

btw i found that 1 of the most acurate re cretions of for positions of buildings and certain details is the harry potter games, the latest shows the transfiguration tower exactly where u have put it, the game itself seems to have less detail than uv put in but more than iv put in, they did go into some detail tracking down a logical path for everything for the game, it aint perfect but theres a lot ther ^_^
neo1471

Postby PlanetMaster on 01/26/2010, 2:11 pm

Wooww Awesome man :D, But one Question to you!!!
Why is some part of the courtyard smashed.... It's weird because they aren't telling in the movies why... And I Guess it's hard for you to built the broken parts, Or am I Wrong???

Again sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning :)
PlanetMaster

Postby PlanetMaster on 01/27/2010, 10:44 am

The Finished Hogwarts Castle in Orlando,
http://media.mugglenet.com/i//themepark/hogwartsuniversalrelease_full.jpg

Isn't she Beautiful :-}=
PlanetMaster

Postby Shawn on 01/27/2010, 1:21 pm

PlanetMaster wrote:The Finished Hogwarts Castle in Orlando,
http://media.mugglenet.com/i//themepark/hogwartsuniversalrelease_full.jpg

Isn't she Beautiful :-}=

The Work on the exterior of the castle alone is enough to make me want to go see the park. Looks great!
Shawn

Postby colt on 01/28/2010, 10:33 pm

hey it looks awesome i love all the detail u are putting into this! cant wait for more updates.
colt

Postby kingku on 01/31/2010, 6:22 pm

Well I have been very busy this week with school work so not much got done. But this weekend I did model the fountain in the middle of the courtyard plus most of the bridge behind it. I'm not going to put too much more detail into the bridge, just because the poly count is getting insane... So here is what I have so far:

There are still some problems with the roof as you can see in the last render, but its getting there. :)

----
@PlanetMaster: Sweet, I bet it would be awesome to check it out in person! As for the courtyard, I don't really know why its smashed, but every single reference of the courtyard that i've found has broken columns and walls, so I just added a few. It wasn't as hard as you would think actually, I figured out a fairly simple way of taking chunks out of the stone. =D

@Neo: Your scene is looking really good! Especially for being made in sketchup, which I know can do alot- but is still fairly limited.

@Colt: Thank you for the comment, I appreciate it. :)
kingku

Postby colt on 01/31/2010, 9:44 pm

wow that either takes you forever or absolutely no time at all but either way it looks amazing love it, I'm still trying to learn how to make a building :P
colt

Postby kingku on 02/5/2010, 12:28 am

colt wrote:wow that either takes you forever or absolutely no time at all but either way it looks amazing love it, I'm still trying to learn how to make a building

Both! Some parts that seem simple to model end up taking the most time, but many of the details that look complicated are actually the easiest. It's all about knowing the tools and how to use them.

That being said, I am far from a great modeler, and I too am still learning how to correctly create a building. :=~

Anyway, sorry for not having much of an update, but now I'm working on the building in the far back corner, which I believe is the library. This is one of those buildings that seems fairly simple (or maybe not), but turns out to be a lot of work. There are some strange angles going on with this one, and some awkward indents in the stone that I had to figure out... but I think I'm getting the hang of it! :mrgreen:

Here it is:
kingku

Postby kingku on 02/5/2010, 4:14 pm

Ok for anybody that is interested, here is how I've been using references lately:

First, I accumulate as many images of the building or area as possible, trying to get good angles, sizes, and overall quality. Then, I create a photoshop project the size of my second monitor, and start bringing the images in. Once I have them arranged, cropped, an organized, I export them as a jpeg. Then I can bring the full image into 3ds max and set it to the unused screen.

And boom, I have all my Hogwarts images in one place and I don't have to keep flipping through my dozens of files to find a couple good refs. Once In awhile, I still have to go back to the un-cropped version of a specific picture for placement and proportion issues, but this saves me alot of time.

Its surprising how few good references there are of Hogwarts buildings- especially of decent angles. Anyway, here are some of the image maps: (click to make larger)

:)

EDIT:

Ok, here is the latest update. I have added a few more details onto the library, plus the window holes. I also created the transfiguration courtyard. I probably won't be adding too many more details, simply for the sake of render time... Atm, I can't even render the whole scene at once because I run out of memory. I guess it's time to get a couple more gigs of ram! :)

kingku

Postby neo1471 on 02/6/2010, 10:15 am

realy nice work! and chears ur referance pics will help loads

iv not had chance to work on mine at all, atm its upto around 43k polygons only

hehe as for sketchup being simple, as u say urself its how well u know ur tools, sketchup dusnt have nearly as many options and tools as others but its suprising what u can build quickly with it, heres a couple examples of what iv built before and put into IMVU (screenshots essentualy in game shots, vid made in sketchup with little editing for fades)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCaECOI19ys
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/ ... pSales.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/ ... pSales.png

its probbably not the fastest and sure isnt the best for detail (its not great with high polygon items at all..) but its wonderful for low poly moddling ^_^
neo1471

Postby kingku on 02/8/2010, 2:51 pm

I'm glad the refs can help!

Yea, i've heard good things about sketchup, and it seems like a program- especially for free!

Anyway, I took a few days off to do a couple other models for fun, but now its back to business. I'm beginning the quidditch pitch, which should be pretty exciting! I'm going to be modeling it separate from the castle to keep my computer fast, but will either merge it later, or just composite it when needed.

Here is the ref map:
And here is my first WIP on it: (very very early stages)
kingku

Postby kingku on 02/8/2010, 10:09 pm

Well last update for tonight! I've got a good start on the pitch. Right now all the materials are for testing only, but i'll make them better soon. Modeling is going well, and hopefully i'll have the entire thing done by the end of the week! :)

kingku

Postby phastraq on 02/8/2010, 10:46 pm

SWEET! Dude for a non-professional modeler you are doing some excellent work. Keep it up!
phastraq

Postby AAE_Freak on 02/9/2010, 10:35 am

could you possibly upload a "until further notice" version? :)
That would be lovely, caus MAN you are doing some good piece of work!!!! INDEED!!!
AAE_Freak

Postby neo1471 on 02/9/2010, 4:20 pm

wonderful work ^_^

btw i dont know if this is of any help but if your a fan of yafaray for rendering you could allways give http://www.corefarm.org/ a bash if its just to much for your computer to render alone? if uv not seen it before the idea is distributing computing for rendering, you help render other projects while ur comp isnt busy and they help render ur stuff, aill automatic ect tho enver tryed it myself yet (never had anything big enough yet)
neo1471

Postby colt on 02/9/2010, 5:08 pm

oooo the pitch it looks awesome good work cant wait to see the finished product :D
colt

Postby kingku on 02/10/2010, 11:40 pm

If anyone is interested, I uploaded my most recently updated (hogwarts castle, not quidditch pitch) model through Rapidshare, so if anyone would like to check that out, PM me. Be aware however that there is a 10-download restriction for free uploading so its first come first serve.

@phastraq: Thank you! Comments like these keep me motivated. :D

@AAE_Freak: I sent you a PM ;)

@neo1471: Hmmm seems interesting. Although I don't use Yayfaray, the site seems pretty neat. I'll llok into it.

@colt: Thanks!

Well, this is what I have for my update of the night. I updated the sides of the stadium for benches and the cloth that is on the inner wall. I also took out the backside of the stadium, which will be filled with supports for under the benches. FYI, this is one of those models that is extremely difficult to create. It seems easy in concept, but when you have to create so much geometry that perfectly conforms to the ellipse shape of the stadium, there are a million problems you run into...

I also will be adding more cloth-y geometry to the tops of the pillars/stands. :)
kingku

Postby PlanetMaster on 02/11/2010, 3:43 pm

Hello,
Well could you please upload for me too "until further notice" version? :D
You are really awersome, and very kind to every one? And your hogwartsis awesome!!!

Thanks in Advance
PlanetMaster

Postby Marken4 on 02/15/2010, 8:55 am

I found this tread now reasent.. and i LOVE your work! :O:O:D:D

[I kinda joined this forum just to say that I admire your work sooo much.. :roll: ]
Marken4

PreviousNext

Return to Work in Progress