Show Your Bullet

Post unfinished videos and tests

Show Your Bullet

Postby NottaFinga on 08/19/2008, 5:28 pm

what have you done with the bullet? i made a wanted parody using the bullet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caccObet3A4
NottaFinga

Re: Show Your Bullet

Postby Hermes on 08/19/2008, 6:25 pm

Fast forward to 16:45 to see an effect I did with the bullet for my latest film. How old are you by the way? I'm 18, it's cool to see other young filmmakers.

And here is a DUI commercial I made a while ago that pretty much rips off the tutorial exactly...

Last edited by Hermes on 08/19/2008, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermes

Postby NottaFinga on 08/19/2008, 6:35 pm

Hermes wrote:Fast forward to 16:45 to see an effect I did with the bullet for my latest film. How old are you by the way? I'm 18, it's cool to see other young filmmakers.

And here is a DUI commercial I made a while ago that pretty much rips of the tutorial exactly...

nice, how do you get the reflection of the bullet in his glasses? and im 15
NottaFinga

Postby Hermes on 08/19/2008, 6:54 pm

First I did the bullet effect to a clip I had of the main character firing. I then imported this to a new comp where I had the video of the interrogator (the guy wearing sunglasses). First I did a manual motion track to a null object so that the movement of his head would match the reflection. I pickwipped my bullet footage to this layer so that it is now motion tracked. I scaled the clip to approximately eyeglass size placing it where I would like it. I then applied a mesh warp to match the clip to the curve of the glasses. I then masked out the clip and lowered the transparency. Duplicated the clip and copied it over to the other eye, rescaled slightly, and adjusted the mesh warp. In all, it took about an hour to do (as I already had the bullet modeled.

Keep on working man. I wish I had seen this tutorial when I was 15. The other thing I wish is that someone had told me how to color correct. Here is my recommendation. Take a clip into your favorite video editor (provided it has color correction tools). Vegas (what I use), Final Cut (which I don't like to use but have to), Premiere (it's okay), or AVID (I loathe thee) will all work. Then apply a curves adjustment and a three-way color correction. Move the curve down at the bottom and up at the top so you get a kind of S shape. Don't do it to much so that detail is lost. Your image should now be more contrasty and film-like. Next, play with the three way. I like to start with shadows and then move to midtones balancing out (moving in the opposite direction) whatever I did in the shadows. Then I had a little highlight to complete whatever effect I'm looking for.

Also for your clip. Don't randomly switch aspect ratios - it's annoying. And try uploading to Vimeo.com. The resolution is infinitely better than youtube. At least upload to both and post the vimeo one here. We can help you a lot more if you post higher quality footage.

Hope this has been helpful. Feel free to ask any questions.
Hermes

Return to Work in Progress