Nike - Work in progress

Post unfinished videos and tests

Nike - Work in progress

Postby mikelehan on 01/19/2017, 10:06 pm

Here's a little render test for a Nike spot I'm working on. Built in C4D, textured in E3D and rendered out in AE.

mikelehan

System Specs: I have a PC and it works great :-)

Re: Nike - Work in progress

Postby plae57 on 01/20/2017, 5:39 am

Is this a test you are doing for Nike or is this a personal test and you are making a pretend Nike commercial? As for the spinning sneaker, well it has to be one of the best spinning sneakers I have seen in a long time.
plae57

Postby mechakaiju on 01/20/2017, 5:54 am

Technical Critique:
Top of the shoe lighting needs a little work. The angle of the lights is casting shadows so there is no detail, just a shadow over a black shoe.

Creative Critique:
It's a spinning shoe...I think it would be more dynamic to to start close up to the toe of the shoe and have music like kick in as the camera moves from the front through the details of the shoe, or like a horse race bell ring and race along the details of the shoe. Could have the laces pulling through the eyelets and over the tongue ending with an actors hands tying the laces off. Sort of a race before the race.
mechakaiju

Postby mikelehan on 01/20/2017, 8:12 am

mechakaiju - Like I said it was a render test for realism rather than aesthetics. If you remove the white background the detail actually is there. It's just a test. Once I get the photorealism right, then I'll be working on the shots, and how to CREATIVELY set it up, but this is one of 20 shoes I'll be building.

plae57 - This is a spec spot I'm working on to build up my 2017 portfolio. Still have lots of work to do, but going in the right direction.
mikelehan

Postby mikelehan on 01/20/2017, 4:59 pm

Here's a second render test. Background changed and some highlight lighting added to accent areas. Once again, these are just test renders whilst I continue to refine the look and achieve as close to photorealism as possible. The only issue in this version is the sole, it's now lost it's texture because of the blown out lighting which I could isolate and bring back in with the curves adjuster. One other element to add is NIKE badges, and alter the bump on the sole.

mikelehan

Postby plae57 on 01/21/2017, 1:47 am

mikelehan wrote:Here's a second render test. Background changed and some highlight lighting added to accent areas...

The lighting on the shoe makes it look really flat. If you google " adding depth to your video using lighting" there are a few tutorials that may give you an idea on adding some depth using lighting. Also, the shadow under the sneaker seems a little harsh. Maybe just back off the AO if you are using it. You may also want to tint your sneaker with whatever the background color is.
plae57

Postby mikelehan on 01/21/2017, 10:05 am

I think that might be Vimeo's compression because the dpx sequence at 2k doesn't look flat, plus this is the kind of look I'm going for. Like I said, work in progress, just playing with the lighting till I get the desired look I'm after.

Thanks for your suggestions though.
mikelehan

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 01/22/2017, 5:55 am

Yeah, I agree, needs to be a lot more light on the shoe, very hard to see anything on the black portion. Also, why is half the Nike tick missing? Or is that how it's supposed to be?

Is this rendered in E3d?
Guitarboy2828

Postby mikelehan on 01/22/2017, 7:58 am

ztxauhopfusqhzaccerp.jpg

That's how the Nike tick is on this sneaker/trainer. Like I've said before, this is work in progress and I've not finished the lighting. I'm working on the realism of the shoe first, then will add the details after.

Yes it's rendered in E3D.
mikelehan

Postby mechakaiju on 01/23/2017, 6:19 am

Guitarboy2828 wrote:Yeah, I agree, needs to be a lot more light on the shoe, very hard to see anything on the black portion. Also, why is half the Nike tick missing? Or is that how it's supposed to be?

Is this rendered in E3d?

Swoosh
mechakaiju

Return to Work in Progress