Advice for making this composite more polished & professiona

Post unfinished videos and tests

Advice for making this composite more polished & professiona

Postby shannon101 on 12/31/2016, 12:43 pm

Hello All,

I was not sure where to go to ask this so I thought this would be a good place to get some CC. I am working on a title sequence, and I am currently in the compositing phase in after effects. I am not sure what it is I am not seeing but the composite does not seem polished, and I don't know why. I am having a very hard time recognizing where to push the composite further so that it looks professional and polished. I know that there are some flaws in the image but if anyone can see anything that I may not be, please let me know. Any tips or tricks from the community that would help this image get that last 25% would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Image Help.jpg
shannon101

System Specs: 17 - 5960x
Titan x
32 gigs ram
25 TB hardrive space

Re: Advice for making this composite more polished & professiona

Postby boxtree on 01/3/2017, 4:38 pm

I think you would need to give a little more information if you want a constructive response.

What kind of look are you going for?
Is that the final shot you want?
Whats the context?

It looks nice composited on a black background with a few sparkles that look like they came from the VC particles pack, but what do you want it to look like?

I had a quick play with your image using a pic i found on google images:

almost put indiana jones in there...

I also almost put a strip bar in there!

Seriously, your image looks good, but you need to give more information if you want help :)
boxtree

Postby JPT7505 on 01/3/2017, 5:57 pm

I think one place to start integration with its surroundings, it looks like it's not integrated with what's happening around it.
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby shannon101 on 01/4/2017, 6:14 am

boxtree wrote:I think you would need to give a little more information if you want a constructive response.

What kind of look are you going for?
Is that the final shot you want?
Whats the context?

It looks nice composited on a black background with a few sparkles that look like they came from the VC particles pack, but what do you want it to look like?

I had a quick play with your image using a pic i found on google images:

almost put indiana jones in there...

I also almost put a strip bar in there!

OK first your composite looks stellar, and I wish I could put a strip club in there now :D . But here is some context for you. The story is called incipient, I won't explain the word here, but it involves the singularity in which we merge our minds with a machine and after a while get tired and choose to move back into physical reality. but at this point they can choose their own look if you will. some look like normal humans others look like insane creatures. With that said the director wanted me to depict a woman who is moving towards the light out of the singularity and into reality. As you can see she has an odd skin texture, but that was the look she chose. The particles in the back actually form into text that will be an acronym for the company creating these physical bodies. Then there will be some glitchy text to show the actors and what not. So I feel as though the image looks flat. I am not sure if I put too much atmospheric crap in and it takes away from the focal point of the shot . It also seems like having the voided black background behind the text forming also makes it look flat. I am just not sure why I feel the image is not working so I have been asking a few people and you were the first I thought of.

and this is the song I am using for the animation. https://soundcloud.com/pennywise/murcof-utopia

Seriously, your image looks good, but you need to give more information if you want help :)
shannon101

Titan x
32 gigs ram
25 TB hardrive space

Postby shannon101 on 01/4/2017, 6:23 am

JPT7505 wrote:I think one place to start integration with its surroundings, it looks like it's not integrated with what's happening around it.

can you elaborate a little. I think I understand what you mean.
shannon101

Titan x
32 gigs ram
25 TB hardrive space

Postby JPT7505 on 01/4/2017, 12:18 pm

The impression I get is that its not one scene, it looks like a bunch of layers put into a scene, make sense?
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby Wiplash on 01/17/2017, 11:32 am

That's an interesting problem, and one i struggle with myself. Everything on videocopilot just has this pro sheen that is hard to achieve, they make it look easy but i completely know what you mean with your shot.

I think what is largely wrong with your shot is the color correction. There are a lot of similar medium grey tones especially around the middle meaning you lose some punch. Personally i would try runnign it through speedgrade and seeing if you can play with the colors and tones.

With my work i'm starting to think maybe i should work in 16 bit rather than 8 bit color to get a clearer range, but this is something i am only just starting to get my head around. It could also be something to do with how these images are being saved and exported.

Other than that i'd be inclined to use something like trapcode horizon to add a very subtle background, just light and dark areas, blotches or subtle detail. Not sure how you are currently creating that light source but i've always found trapcose lux good for making the environment have more depth.

Also maybe think about adding one more element, like subtle lines or tecky number or something. Slap some chromatic aberstion on too maybe.
Wiplash

Postby Dmaroc on 01/17/2017, 4:53 pm

JPT7505 wrote:The impression I get is that its not one scene, it looks like a bunch of layers put into a scene, make sense?

How would you fix something like that to make it look like a pro composite?
Dmaroc

System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.0.6 (1988)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 32768MB

Postby Wiplash on 01/18/2017, 3:05 am

You would make sure all the layers adhere to a cohesive colour range
Wiplash

Postby Dmaroc on 01/18/2017, 6:38 pm

Wiplash wrote:You would make sure all the layers adhere to a cohesive colour range

Like...Can you explain more?
Dmaroc

System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.0.6 (1988)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 32768MB

Return to Work in Progress