Story Ideas

Post unfinished videos and tests

Story Ideas

Postby Dmaroc on 02/1/2016, 11:03 am

Hey guys,

I am currently racking my brain for ideas, and I need your help. For a writing class in school our teacher will guide us through the process of developing characters, plots, and twists for our project, writhing a short book (20-60pg). The story I choose will also be the story for my next film festival entry. I know its a lot, but I would really appreciate it if you could post some one sentence ideas for my film (“A spy’s data chip accidentally gets into the hands of a normal citizen, now the “bad guys” are trying to capture innocent people”) My budget will only be about $1000 :? , but I have access to many great locations (San Fransisco, Beach, Forest, Office Building, Cargo ship/shipping container) . Like I said, I know its a lot to ask but a would really appreciate it, and would credit you in the film. Just so you know, I am only 14, so the film will probably not be submitted into large/famous festivals. I really appreciate it, and thanks in advance! :)
Dmaroc

System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.0.6 (1988)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 32768MB

Re: Story Ideas

Postby star+circle on 02/2/2016, 1:55 am

"A rich boy's parents are killed at home, while he is at grandparent's place, in what seems like a random breaking and entering robbery. Years later he finds a letter that suggests they had worked on some secret government project connected to UFO research and had stolen something, which is now stored in a shipping container at an undisclosed location."
star+circle

Postby Dan Hildebrand on 02/2/2016, 8:29 am

^
"Two government agents are dispatched to investigate. One of those agents, a male, is convinced of the existence of UFO's. Lets call him 'Sculder'. The other, a female, is less certain of these events but is open to being persuaded. We'll refer to her as 'Mully'. They see all this evidence that is just so convincing, yet they keep questioning the validity of it all." We'll call this film the "F-Xiles".
Q: Why did the layer cross the composition?
A: To get to the keyframe on the other side!!!
Dan Hildebrand

System Specs: OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 6.1.7601

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 32707MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GTX 980

Postby Dustin Hudson on 02/2/2016, 5:30 pm

Ooh. Prompt threads are my favorite. But I'll keep this one short. So, San Francisco, Beach, Forest, Office Building, Cargo ship/shipping container.

--
Scene opens on kid looking out a car window, he's in the front passenger seat looking out right. We can see that he's passing over the golden-gate bridge (but we never see a wide shot of it). Narration of an older man talking which cuts to a scene of the kid now at an overcast beach. There's a body washed up on shore wrapped in plastic. The older man: "You know your sister, she was in a lot of trouble. If you have any idea where she was last night, you need to tell us." We see that man has some sort of badge of authority.

Cut back to in the car, we now realize this is a police car. Cop transmissions are playing, but muffled like the kid is in deep thought. He goes to the precinct and they have him fill out some paper work. His parents are there as well, and they take him home. His sister was a good 6 years older but they were close. The rest of the story leads him rummaging through her things, computer, documents to figure out what happened to her and what she was up to that night.

He's aware of his age so he keeps having to do these makeshift meetup's for info with sketchy people to conceal his identity. Leaving a tape machine with a recorded message, placing a phone in a location for someone to pick up while he's on the other line with a voice modulator (cargo/shipping yard). That kind of thing. I would think at some point the cop that was at the beginning is somehow involved as well, he was testing to see how much the kid knew about the situation.

--
Could be too gritty. People seem to like live action Mario videos.
Dustin Hudson
VC Administrator
VC Administrator

Twitter: Dustinhud

Postby plae57 on 02/2/2016, 6:05 pm

I am assuming this is a short film, so 5-10 minutes? The difference between writing a short story and a short film is in a short story all you have to do is say "and then they drove to the from the beach to the office building... But in a short film it's set up at the beach, shoot, tear down, set up at the office, shoot, tear down... You get the idea. Stick to a single location if you can. So here is a story (I was actually going to do this for the 48hr film project).

Here is the opening minute, you fill in the rest:

Bunch of teens sitting around a table, (a campfire, in a car, somewhere doesn't matter) One of them pulls out a gun and says lets play Russian roulette. All the others say no, and argue a minute but ar eventually talked into it. He puts a bullet in, spins the chambers, put it to his head, pulls the trigger, The gun goes off splattering half the room (and teens) with blood and guts. I also had a version if we drew comedy where the gun is a semi automatic pistol with a clip, and the idiot points out "it's a 8 round clip, but he was only putting in one round"... Everyone else looks at him in disbelief...

Now use the skills learned in the class to build the rest of the story. What do the different teens do before someone calls the cops? Or do they call the cops?

Also, what ever story you choose, stick to stories that actually have teens in them. You're 14 and I am assuming you will have family and friends in your short film. Your 15 year old friend doesn't really come across as a "secret agent", but he will come across as a 15 year old doing things 15 year olds do. Remember $1,000 doesn't buy a lot and all the makeup in the world doesn't make a 15 year old look like an adult. Come up with an interesting story featuring the people you can get to be in your film.

Oh. Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever us real guns in a film. EVER!
Last edited by plae57 on 02/2/2016, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plae57

Postby Dmaroc on 02/2/2016, 6:20 pm

Hey guys, Thanks so much for the ideas! Just to clarify ...even though I am writing a short story, I will create a parallel script for my ((Feature)) film. Thanks so much!
Dmaroc

Postby shawnbooth76 on 05/5/2016, 5:14 pm

You are 14 and have $1000 to make a film -- excellent for you!!

What kind of stories do you like? What interests you? What's your favorite genre?

How do you plan to spend that $1K? Props? Wardrobe? Food? Insurance? Actors? Crew? Lighting?
shawnbooth76

Postby Dmaroc on 06/6/2016, 3:29 pm

shawnbooth76 wrote:You are 14 and have $1000 to make a film -- excellent for you!!

What kind of stories do you like? What interests you? What's your favorite genre?

How do you plan to spend that $1K? Props? Wardrobe? Food? Insurance? Actors? Crew? Lighting?

Thanks! I have written a short story for school that I will turn into my feature film script. I have never created a film with a "big" budget before so I would love advice on how to spent the budget. What specifically would I want to spend on?

Thanks!

Btw I have attached my short 10 page story of the film I will make.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7msudj653au3a ... 0.pdf?dl=0
Dmaroc

Return to Work in Progress