3ds max terminator

Post unfinished videos and tests

3ds max terminator

Postby redwaqtty on 08/10/2008, 7:50 pm

I'm currently working on a t800 model terminator, I've almost done modelling it and will be rigging it shortly, unfortunately I'm short on time and wont be unwrapping the uvs, I am making the model free for any non commercial work so I'll post it up soon so you can all have a play around with it if you would like, might be handy for Andrews up and coming tutorial with boujou.

Anyway heres some screens of the model up to now.
Attachments
t3.jpg
t2.jpg
t.jpg
redwaqtty

Re: 3ds max terminator

Postby Ben Wotton on 08/10/2008, 8:30 pm

Wow nice, and free too!
Good work
Ben Wotton - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5171540/
Ben Wotton
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Postby redwaqtty on 08/11/2008, 8:39 pm

Ben Wotton wrote:Wow nice, and free too!
Good work

Hey thanx man, model will be available shortly, I rigged the leg today but didn't have much time so thats as far as I got.
redwaqtty

Postby spikey on 08/13/2008, 3:28 am

Great work man, for the community specially... I love character design and animation because I know its tedious and long but its a great satisfaction you get once you done with it. Keep up the good work!!
You're not an artist until you forget to sleep

http://www.illuminationstudio.net
spikey

Postby redwaqtty on 08/13/2008, 8:20 pm

spikey wrote:Great work man, for the community specially... I love character design and animation because I know its tedious and long but its a great satisfaction you get once you done with it. Keep up the good work!!

thanx man, yeah 3d is tedious but I love it so much, just found some renders I did a few week back while trying out some textures n lighting, as you can see it makes the model really stand out. I've changed the pelvis since the renders and tweaked a few other bits :D

hope you like, will provide the model shortly.
Attachments
wallpaper.jpg
backnfront3.jpg
redwaqtty

Postby Thezad on 08/14/2008, 7:12 pm

Very nice! :)
Thezad

Postby spikey on 08/15/2008, 2:23 pm

I could only imagine the skinning process since you mentioned you're going to rig it I assume you're skinning it too as well. I dont know whether its difficult for you or not but for me its quiet difficult to skin a mechanical object that do not have any part deformation. Looking forward to it.

spikey

Postby redwaqtty on 08/15/2008, 8:38 pm

spikey wrote:I could only imagine the skinning process since you mentioned you're going to rig it I assume you're skinning it too as well. I dont know whether its difficult for you or not but for me its quiet difficult to skin a mechanical object that do not have any part deformation. Looking forward to it.

nope no skinning, as at the minute there is no skin to deform around it, the model is pretty accurate but even the ones as seen in the movies would'nt really fit mesh around, a really muscular mesh could though, but it would need careful planning, the rig will use controllers i.e. foot controllers, fingers, body, etc and I'm doing these in maxscript, the rig will be pretty flexible, hopefully industry standard but its hard due to the rig being so complex, the feet alone has taken me three attempts but now i have alot of control, i.e. heel role, toe role, bank left and right toe lift etc, doesnt sound much but it takes alot of doing.

The rig is basically to control the terminator and make the movements as realistic as possible, todo this alot of control must be provided for the animator, which is what I'm trying to achieve now, I want the animators to have a flexibility to achieve great animations quickly and easily so alot of thought goes into rigging.

update: I have decided on a final rig for the leg and foot, this was the hardest part of the rig due to the complexity of the foots hydraulics, hopefully I will have the whole thing rigged for next weekend, then I'll make it available to everyone.
redwaqtty

Postby spikey on 08/15/2008, 10:02 pm

oh ur using the mesh as the bone..is that right? never thought of that,..would work much more accurate that way for a robot i guess.

spikey

Postby redwaqtty on 08/16/2008, 8:42 am

spikey wrote:oh ur using the mesh as the bone..is that right? never thought of that,..would work much more accurate that way for a robot i guess.

yeah I'm using the mesh as bones, another method could be to use bones but it would just over complicate things for this character, so I create the ik chains directly for the objects, then set up loads of helpers, for position, orientation and lookat constraints, I have made a series of scripts for the main controllers which has parameters wired to it for specific movements.
redwaqtty

Postby narenn on 08/16/2008, 8:46 am

That's awesome man. Good stuff.
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Postby redwaqtty on 08/16/2008, 10:09 am

highdefw wrote:That's awesome man. Good stuff.

hey thanx man :D
redwaqtty

Postby DreamLandPix on 08/16/2008, 10:42 am

This is amazing! The render with lights make it look like a active T-800! It seems " The best things in life are FREE" is really true after all. Waiting eagerly for the finished project. Please keep dropping notes as how u are rigging the other parts as well in between.
DreamLandPix

Postby redwaqtty on 08/16/2008, 11:00 am

DreamLandPix wrote:This is amazing! The render with lights make it look like a active T-800! It seems " The best things in life are FREE" is really true after all. Waiting eagerly for the finished project. Please keep dropping notes as how u are rigging the other parts as well in between.

Those where rendered out using vray and hdr lighting, really makes it look awesome,

I'll keep everyone upto date on the progress of the rig and will try and explain the way its been rigged as best I can. :D :D
redwaqtty

Return to Work in Progress