Adding an external HD monitor for my old setup, dual PC LCDs

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

Adding an external HD monitor for my old setup, dual PC LCDs

Postby Adamlewen on 02/11/2017, 1:39 pm

Hi
For years I have been working with 2 great Samsung screens, mainly After Effects work... I have an Nvidia GTX 960 GFX card and I am happy with my workstation.
Recently I have been looking into adding an external professional studio monitor, but was holding myself mainly due to price.
I now got from someone a great condition Sony Bravia monitor. NOT a professional studio monitor, but something that might be of help once I calibrate it.
Can I do this? I assume my card allows 2 PC monitors and another HD reference monitor, anyone here experienced with the topic?
Would I need another card for this? for the sound sync (timeline-monitor)?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Adamlewen

Re: Adding an external HD monitor for my old setup, dual PC LCDs

Postby JPT7505 on 02/11/2017, 1:45 pm

For reference monitors I use a separate device connected to my PC. For several years I used a Matrox Mini encoder that also offers HD monitoring however at the moment I'm using an internal Black Magic Decklink Extreme that supports 4K input/output. So In my opinion that's the best way to go. It won't tax your current video card and you have the option to capture content (depending on the card you get).

There are plenty of options and price ranges and they integrate with Adobe very well (along with several other companies)
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby Adamlewen on 02/11/2017, 3:44 pm

Thanks for the reply!
"Won't tax" - because at my best situation i'll get HD resolution if it's a third monitor? or am I missing the point?
You are saying Ill need to get a video card for best performance third monitor?
Thank you.

BTW with that reference monitor you are using you still have the ability to have AE composition monitors on one of you 2 PC monitors, right? Thanks again, newbie at this third reference monitor. only used it at other studios without delving into the tech side...
Adamlewen

Postby JPT7505 on 02/11/2017, 5:58 pm

You of course can add another monitor to your existing card. But now your card is running three monitors when previously it only ran 2. So there will be some additional stress. Now, will you notice it, I can't say.

What I am saying is what I find is the best option. You will have your primary monitor where the AE interface is in, with your composition and an additional 'reference' comp window on the 'reference' monitor.

So nothing you see changes, you just have another full size comp window on another monitor.

If you're only doing HD now, you can probably get a great deal on an older Matrox Mini w or w/o Max H.265 encoding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrox-MXO2-Min ... SwLnBX3Z4Q

Good luck!
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby Adamlewen on 02/16/2017, 2:59 am

Thanks for the info!
Adamlewen

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology