video card optimal settings

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

video card optimal settings

Postby djenglander on 12/17/2015, 7:08 am

Need optimal settings for GeForce software on my pc..thx in advance
djenglander

System Specs: 8G ram
GeForce 880 series gtx

Re: video card optimal settings

Postby Farmfield on 12/17/2015, 6:28 pm

Install card. Install driver, that's it. You'll have no benefits messing with card settings unless you're problem solving strange behavior and overclocking will yield very little performance increase.
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby varxtis on 12/19/2015, 12:39 am

Im actually needing similar assistance.

Unfortunately I don't really know what much of this means. But I feel like I must have either the video card settings of or After Effects settings off. I am getting this issue where I adjust settings in the After Effects composition timeline, and it'll be okay for a bit, but the I'll make an adjustment, need to undo, but the composition window will not reflect the undo. The timeline reflects it properly, but not the comp window.
So, say I created a mask and then used "undo" (ctrl+z) the timelime and layer setting reflect that the mask is gone, but the comp window still shows the effects of the mask. This, and when I scrub the timeline or even do a preview, audio is SUPER glitchy. Render comes out fine, but trying to time stuff with audio is near impossible. and Lastly, After effects has been crashing a lot lately. Ive been making sure to keep my project slim by using "File > Dependencies > Reduce Project".

This is a new computer that I built from scratch specifically to handle after effects, and it seems like it's being just a glitchy as my original laptop. I figure I MUST not have the memory or video card set right.

Circuit Board: X99S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7885) 4.0
Processor: 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5820K
Memory: 16280 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti. (According to the system information I have Total Video Memory Available: 14GB
and Dedicated Video Memory: 6GB)

Can anyone help me out?
varxtis

Postby Carsten on 01/3/2016, 7:45 am

Hi varxtis,

it seems to me, that you have a Hardware Problem. This can happen, when you assemble your cpu cooler and use too much force to tighten the screws.
Noctua manual: Gently tighten the screws, until they stop, but don`t use exesssive force.
Carsten

System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.1 (2125)
AE CS5

CPU: i7-5820K CPU @ 3.80GHz
RAM: 32663MB

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC

Postby varxtis on 01/3/2016, 9:09 am

Interesting... Would it be bad at this point to lose them?
varxtis

Postby Farmfield on 01/3/2016, 10:47 am

Carsten wrote:it seems to me, that you have a Hardware Problem. This can happen, when you assemble your cpu cooler and use too much force to tighten the screws.
Noctua manual: Gently tighten the screws, until they stop, but don`t use exesssive force.

This is an amazing conclusion from no evidence whatsoever this is due to hardware issues, even less so for it being an issue with CPU cooling. You could as well have pointed to dust mites nesting in the BIOS battery compartment as the likely issue. :? :D

varxtis wrote:Interesting... Would it be bad at this point to lose them?

Yes, as you have nothing pointing to this being a hardware issue. Most of the issues of this type in After Effects are the graphics drivers, as discussed before, cleaning out the drivers completely and reinstalling usually solves the issue. Also make sure to not install GeForce experience. Also check you have the latest Quicktime installed.

Another thing in Windows for making video editing and alike work as smoothly as possible is disabling any autostarting daemons. In Windows 10, open the Task Manager (from right clicking the taskbar) and under startup, disable anything you don't need - which is usually everything, or close to it. Adobe, Google or Apple updaters, disable. Any network driver helpers, disable - you got hat in Windows. Audio managers, disable, also handled by Windows. Personally I run only the Wacom and Shuttle handlers as well as the "Quicktime Task" which speeds up Quicktime (codec-) handling...
Farmfield

Postby Mr K on 12/18/2016, 11:27 am

Farmfield wrote:Another thing in Windows for making video editing and alike work as smoothly as possible is disabling any autostarting daemons. In Windows 10, open the Task Manager (from right clicking the taskbar) and under startup, disable anything you don't need - which is usually everything, or close to it. Adobe, Google or Apple updaters, disable. Any network driver helpers, disable - you got hat in Windows. Audio managers, disable, also handled by Windows. Personally I run only the Wacom and Shuttle handlers as well as the "Quicktime Task" which speeds up Quicktime (codec-) handling...

I understand this in regard to "casual" daemons like spotify or audio managers but what would be the rationale behind switching off Adobe Creative Cloud, Dropbox (if you're actively using it) or antivirus software daemons? Isn't there a sound reason to keep them running?
Mr K

System Specs: i7-5920K/64GB/GTX980Ti 6GB/ + MBP Late2012/16GB/GeForce GT650M 1GB

Postby Farmfield on 12/18/2016, 5:19 pm

Hehe, don't disable stuff you want running and/or have use for, but having Google's update service running when this functionality is built into Chrome is insane - it's for updating Chrome if you don't run it often enough to get the updates or - well, I can't even imagine the justification from Google's side, it's plain stupid. ;)

And don't turn off your Antivirus, I never proposed that.
Farmfield

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology