What makes for a good computer?

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

What makes for a good computer?

Postby varxtis on 12/10/2017, 4:37 pm

Before going on, I start with the fact that Apple is not an option.
Dell, Best Buy, and Frys seem to cater to basic computer needs with their reps only having basic sales training. Is there anywhere one can go when needing a good industry grade PC built/purchased?

Lets say that budget were pretty flexible. I'd rather wait to save up for a good computer than get one set at a low budget only to crap out every time I scrub through a scene with a few particle effects. If a person were willing to put a good $3k - $4k (USD) for the PC alone (not counting monitor peripherals, software, and what not), what would make for a good computer that will be able to handle almost anything including Photoshop and Illustrator, Premiere and After effects (including Video Copilot and red giant plugins), 3DS Max and Cinema 4d, gaming, and all.
Whats a good Processor? What processor fan is good?
Whats a good Graphics card?
Does Memory on the graphics card mean more than the on board Ram?
What aspects of the Memory cards (the ones that go on the motherboard) are important?
Whats a good Power supply?
Will surge protectors protect against the power in a house going out or the circuit breaker tripping due to unrelated home-electrical issues? (power goes out occasionally which is what I think crashed my last computer)
What am I not considering?
If one has all the parts purchased, where could one go to have it all properly assembles with best industry based standards?

2 Years ago I did, what I thought was, a LOT of research, purchased all the components, and assembled it all to the best of my ability. I thought it was a strong PC, and I cleaned it every two weeks (physically using air cans to blow out any dust, and using several anti-virus programs to keep the system clean), but despite all my effort, the thing still lagged pretty bad when working with "high" particle renderings in After Effects.
our circuit break when out a number of times due to unrelated electrical issues. But I think it effected the computer, leading it to eventually crash.
Circuit Board: X99S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7885) 4.0
Processor: 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5820K
Memory: 128Gb (Yes, 128Gb)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti. Total Video Memory Available: 14GB and Dedicated Video Memory: 6GB)
varxtis

Re: What makes for a good computer?

Postby JPT7505 on 12/10/2017, 10:37 pm

How were your hard drives setup?

Ideally

Ssd for os
Ssd for cache
Seperate drive for project and content.

This allows each program to run more efficiently.

And if your power goes out often try a battery backup to have time to shut down properly.
JPT7505

System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 128gb

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby varxtis on 12/11/2017, 2:26 pm

Had SSD/HDD hybrid. Presumably the OS was installed on the SSD portion of it. But that, without question, was one decision I regretted. When you get an SSD for the OS, won't programs and their plugins automatically try to install into default OS directories, and thus load up the drive super fast? I try to have 3TB drives for just this reason, but SSD cost goes into the mid to high hundreds, if not thousands, when goin past 1TB. Is it harmful to redirect installation of applications to alternate drives? How do updates work in that case?
Again, I'm more interested in a solid PC than being too rigid about a budget. But at the same time, I don't want a 3rd of the cost going to a single drive that'll fill in a matter of months, if not weeks.

Backup battery source! That's a great idea!! Thanks :) officially on my list.
varxtis

Postby JPT7505 on 12/11/2017, 6:24 pm

So personally, I'm running a 1tb for the os and a 250gb for cache.
JPT7505

Postby varxtis on 12/12/2017, 8:51 am

So the 1TB accounts for installing Applications, Updates, Program assets, and all? Im really curious to see your File system for a program like After Effects with Plugins. Generally the main program is installed in Program Files, Auto-saves under documents, and plugins under AppData (or Program Files depending on Plugins). But all of it is on the OS Drive. Do you allow default install locations, or do you redirect installation of certain assets to install on a different drive?
When you say cache, I assume you're referring to files like temp project files and auto-saves. Or is cache a more broad term in this instance? Do you have a 250gb drive (partition of a drive maybe?) dedicated to the cache, or do you just tell after effects where to store the cache and it shares the drive?

Most importantly, thank you so very much for helping me understand some of this and thank you for your time. I have a difficult time understanding aspects of the programs I worked with and felt my attention was a 50/50 split: Learning vs creating. Which I understand is going to be the nature of the beast. But its a bit overwhelming when I can't even get that far because I start having lag and/or my HDDs outright crash because of some stupid thing I did when I built the dang pc lol. So I want to do it right this time :) I also learned that backing up is SOOOOO Vital. A bit pricey, but not as pricey as loosing everything.
varxtis

Postby JPT7505 on 12/12/2017, 12:50 pm

Plugins, add ons and programs all on 1tb drive.

Cache drice is for after effects and premiere allowing it to cache frames in addition to ram.

Then a separate drive for renders
A mirrored internal drive (for redundancy) for projects
And an external drive as a backup to my installed programs and a mirror image of my os drive in case the main drive ever fails.
JPT7505

Postby Jamesjardin247 on 02/14/2018, 9:37 am

It depends in your needs and what you expect to do in it...lol
dermatophagiathoracentesisepicanthalfolds
Jamesjardin247

System Specs: 4GB RAM
2GB VGA