Page 1 of 2

DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 09/8/2009, 11:53 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Here you can ask additional questions about the DVD Authoring Tutorial (No.91). For example any misunderstandings, confusions or queries on the tutorial will be answered.

Other tips and background uses for the tutorial will also be addressed throughout this topic. Stay tuned.

 
Image

 
Creating a Hit Area for Menu Buttons:

When creating buttons for an Encore menu inside Photoshop certain layer hints, such as (=1) Highlight as demonstrated through the tutorial, take on various actions. The Highlight hint (which Andrew shows during the the DVD Authoring tutorial) indicates the graphic/shape which will be presented once a button's rollover is active, in other words a highlight shows the viewer which particular button is 'highlighted' or in-selection for chosing.

A quick example:
 
Image
 
As you can see, the red text indicates the graphic which will be displayed once the button is highlighted or in-selection within the menu, so once the PLAY MOVIE text button is highlighted it will change to a red text of PLAY MOVIE. Seems simple enough?

For computing viewing this means that when highlighting the button your cursor must be within the complete shape of the highlight layer, but what if you want to make a certain 'hit area' for your button? What if you want to make a custom area which indicates when the button's highlight will be active? This is particulary useful for computer viewing and can, in most cases, compensate for certain menu designs.

To achieve a custom hit area you simply create a vector shape layer of the area which you want to act as the hit boundaries. For example the vector shape rectangle, as shown in orange below, will be the hit area for the play button. Once the cursor enters the orange area the button's highlight will be activated.

Image

After creating your shape which you wish to be your hit area, rename the shape layer with a prefix of (%) followed by another name of your liking, for example (%) Hit as seen below:
 
Image
 
Note: This layer will not be shown on the menu - It is hidden!

Once you save the Photoshop document of the Encore menu and test your DVD the menu button's highlight should active within the hit area you provided.

Got a problem, please help me!

PostPosted: 10/21/2009, 1:28 pm
by lucaschain
Hello everyone,

Sorry for annoying you (And sorry for my english too, I'm Brazilian). I watched the tutorial and i found it amazing! But I got a small problem.

When I was rendering the composition (choosing the format, to be more exact) I could not find the MPEG - DVD one, does anyone know how to solve it? If there is a codec, can someone tell me where to download it?

Re: Got a problem, please help me!

PostPosted: 10/27/2009, 11:12 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
lucaschain wrote:...when i was rendering the composition (choosing the format, to be more exact) i didn't found the MPEG - DVD one, do anyone know how to solve it? if there is a codec, can someone tell me where to download it?


Many people have seemed to have the same problem. I suggest try reloading your installation disks / reinstalling After Effects as it should be provided with your version, especially latest additions. If that doesn't work, and you would prefer to have the codec, try contacting Adobe Support.

Otherwise you can simply use the 'MPEG2' output which should work fine with Encore and most other DVD Authoring/Creation softwares.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 11/29/2009, 9:02 pm
by Blahh
Hi there :D.
I had this Language Arts project assigned just a few days ago, due just before Christmas Break in Canada (not exactly sure when ||-< ), and I decided against countless hours of research and wanted to do something different and fun; namely a video. Now, I had just gotten After Effects and Encore and such, and played around with it a few days prior, but I'm still really new to it and my problem is probably really stupid and has an easy solution that I just can't see, and I apologize for wasting your time, but I'm just going to put it out there.

So, I followed the tutorial and did the basic things for the video on After Effects, and then I suddenly decided to test Encore to see if it actually worked, and ended up following most of the tutorial until the Preview section. I did and re-did the entire Encore part, and I absolutely have no idea what's wrong. I'm supposing, or rather, I'm hoping, that it's just my laptop that's screwed up. At the preview section, when the window pops up, it just previews black for the entire time. There is only sound from after the 8.02 second loop that I set and then it loops back again to nothing, and then when 8.02 hits again, the sound comes up. I can't seem to press any buttons, or maybe I can, and I'm just stupid, but this seems to be a real problem for me. It is quite laggy, but even so, it should still show a frame of my menu :=~ .

That is what it looks like:

Image
Press for entire picture: http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/672/ssssswd.png
This is what it's supposed to look like (yes, it is Lord of the Flies; Grade 9 project :? ) :

Image
Press for entire picture: http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8981/ssssssv.png

Sorry once more for wasting your time, and thank you for looking at this post :D .

P.S The video at the bottom of the timeline in the first SS is actually the star tutorial; also, just ignore the PreMENU name, I was goign to put it before the Menu, but then changed my mind.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 12/21/2009, 11:58 am
by jashan
if your saying its laggy and it is mainly graphcs problems, its probably got something to do with your graphics card, what card do you have? also try updating its drivers or better get to a desktop that has better specs

hope that helps

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 12/23/2009, 1:27 pm
by Chancellor
Hellooo,

I've been trying to complete this tutroal for the last 2 days >-|| but keep coming to a snag at the Rendering point and is face with the following two never ending messages ||-< ;

After Effects: Out of memory. (1350003K requested)
( 23 :: 40 )

and

After Effects: AEGP Plugin Media IO Plugin: UNRECOGNISED EXEMPTION
( 5027 :: 12 )

Please :=~ advise
Chance

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 12/27/2009, 7:15 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Blahh wrote:Image


Jashan has a good point. Graphics and hardware can be a prime issue in many cases, especially since you are using a laptop. However in my own opinion I feel that the Encore Preview is very poor. I honestly never use it because most of the time it gives a slow as well as incorrect result to what you would be seeing once finally produced to DVD-Video.

If you know that what you've composed is correct, especially if you've followed along with the tutorial, then do not worry about heading on over to the Encore Preview. I highly suggest you just build your final project to disk and test it accordingly on a DVD Player or DVD-Video reader of some sort.

Hopefully this helps. Trust me...I had this issue when I first started too, but you'll soon realise how useless the Encore Built-In Preview really is. One of the many things Adobe has to fix.

If you need any more help or have any further questions feel free to ask. ;)

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 12/27/2009, 7:21 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Chancellor wrote:Hellooo,

I've been trying to complete this tutroal for the last 2 days >-|| but keep coming to a snag at the Rendering point and is face with the following two never ending messages ||-< ;

After Effects: Out of memory. (1350003K requested)
( 23 :: 40 )

and

After Effects: AEGP Plugin Media IO Plugin: UNRECOGNISED EXEMPTION
( 5027 :: 12 )

Please :=~ advise
Chance


You may be receiving a crash from a plugin within your project in combination with hardware faults.

I suggest you try re-installing your version of After Effects to refresh the program entirely. Also look into your Hardware and see if you may need an upgrade, for example more memory (RAM).

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/14/2010, 9:22 pm
by flurryfish691
I'm having trouble getting the selected button to show when I burn the DVD. I've followed the tutorial to the letter and have even started over a couple times but I always get the same problem... When I put everything together in Encore CS3 and hit the preview button, everything works 100 % as it should. Then, when I burn a DVD, I can't see which button is selected. I first tried the DVD on a Toshiba DVD player and my opening menu played but I couldn't see which button was selected. I tried just hitting enter on the remote but it wouldn't play the movie. Then I tried the same DVD on a Sony DVD player and I could navigate all of my menus (because I know what buttons should be selected) but I still couldn't see the box that should be around the selected button. I also tried putting the same DVD in my laptop and playing it with VLC Media Player and I get the same result as the Sony DVD player, everything is fully functional except I can't see what button is currently selected...

Help!! >-|| :=~

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/23/2010, 10:46 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Check to see if your project has errors. Click 'Check Project' in the Burn export window before creating your DVD-Video and see if there are any significant problems within your project.

Are you able to upload the Encore project file for me?

Loop point won't show

PostPosted: 01/25/2010, 9:43 am
by Train
I have a much older version of encore that I have used before without any problems. My footage had to be rendered as mpeg2. When I bring it into encore and set the loop point to where I want my buttons to be, nothing happens. The window just stays on the first frame, which of course is where it ends up in Photoshop.

Re: Loop point won't show

PostPosted: 01/25/2010, 3:41 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Train wrote:I have a much older version of encore that I have used before without any problems. My footage had to be rendered as mpeg2. When I bring it into encore and set the loop point to where I want my buttons to be, nothing happens. The window just stays on the first frame, which of course is where it ends up in Photoshop.

How early are you setting your loop point?

Sometimes Encore cannot set a loop point at the exact time code you want. For example if you wanted it at exactly 4 seconds-in, Encore can usually round it up or down to say 3.2 or 5.3, etc... This is where you need to keep in mind making your menu's flexible and easily adjustable so that you can leave room for Encore to make a loop point.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/25/2010, 4:21 pm
by Train
My loop point is fairly late in the clip. Doesn't seem to matter where I try it though, the menu pain won't change to the point. It just stays on the first frame. I can see what you mean though, encore does change the loop point setting by several frames automatically.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/25/2010, 4:34 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Hm it's quite an odd problem you've got here.

Have you tried re-rending the Menu's visual track? You can even try opening a new Encore project, setup the menu again and see if it works. Encore can be funny like that sometimes...

Re: Got a problem, please help me!

PostPosted: 01/25/2010, 10:51 pm
by Earwig
Patrick Mazzolo wrote:
lucaschain wrote:...when i was rendering the composition (choosing the format, to be more exact) i didn't found the MPEG - DVD one, do anyone know how to solve it? if there is a codec, can someone tell me where to download it?


Many people have seemed to have the same problem. I suggest try reloading your installation disks / reinstalling After Effects as it should be provided with your version, especially latest additions. If that doesn't work, and you would prefer to have the codec, try contacting Adobe Support.

Otherwise you can simply use the 'MPEG2' output which should work fine with Encore and most other DVD Authoring/Creation softwares.



You can also use the AVI option. Although this is a much bigger file, the cool thing about encore is the software will encode it to fit the disk. Doing this gives you really great quality.
As far as having no MPEG encoder option, I read that Vista has a problem with giving permissions to some programs. You can goto the program files folder, find Adobe, right click>properties, Make sure the "Read Only" option is not checked. Hope this helps.

Re: Got a problem, please help me!

PostPosted: 01/25/2010, 11:44 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Earwig wrote:You can also use the AVI option. Although this is a much bigger file, the cool thing about encore is the software will encode it to fit the disk. Doing this gives you really great quality.
As far as having no MPEG encoder option, I read that Vista has a problem with giving permissions to some programs. You can goto the program files folder, find Adobe, right click>properties, Make sure the "Read Only" option is not checked. Hope this helps.


Very true, Encore can handle formats quite well when it comes to the final burn process to Disk. Although MPEG is still a common and recommended format when composing for DVD, since MPEG in itself produces great quality results optimised for DVD-Video and at the same time levels the file size for disk authoring.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/26/2010, 10:19 am
by Train
I've tried re-rendering, new projects etc. and nothing seems to work. What I've done now is to capture the frame where the buttons pop on the screen and render it as a PSD file. Then I cut of the end of the clip. Now the video runs its course and the end action is set to the PNG file which I've added the buttons to. Not very smooth but I can't think of anything else.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/26/2010, 4:31 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Train wrote:I've tried re-rendering, new projects etc. and nothing seems to work. What I've done now is to capture the frame where the buttons pop on the screen and render it as a PSD file. Then I cut of the end of the clip. Now the video runs its course and the end action is set to the PNG file which I've added the buttons to. Not very smooth but I can't think of anything else.

That would work, but as you said not as smoothly.

I'm curious to know - Did you leave enough end tail time for when the buttons appear in the video? For example you may have made an intro animation which leads to the buttons animating in but did not leave enough seconds of the actual static menu and it's buttons.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/27/2010, 9:04 am
by Train
Well that's interesting. The intro IS fairly long so I didn't leave much for the static menu. It's only the last 3 seconds of the comp. Is there a certain amount of time needed or do I just have to play a bit?

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/27/2010, 6:05 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
That is most likely the problem. If the menu is at the last few seconds I don't think Encore will properly register a loop point in such short time.

You should always extend the animation of the menu beyond 6 seconds of idling, that way it gives less confusion to Encore and at the same time avoids constant skip-refreshes in DVD Play back.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/27/2010, 10:24 pm
by Train
Well, that's not it. Extended the comp 10 seconds and tried every loop point in a 14 second range. Still can't get the menu window to change.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/27/2010, 11:39 pm
by Patrick Mazzolo
Would you be able to upload the visual track for me plus your Encore project? Maybe in a RAR or ZIP file?

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 01/31/2010, 9:17 pm
by Train
Well good news and bad news. The good news is it's working. The bad news, I don't know why. I've been playing with the comp, rerendering the mov file in different apps with different settings etc. What I've got is multiple versions using all kinds of rendering and unfortunatly, I'm not sure where the working version came from. Thank god I don't do this for a living or I'd be eternally unemployed. One thing though Patrick, the working comp is the original length so it doesn't appear the short static portion was the cause Thanks very much for helping though. I appreciate it.

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 02/1/2010, 2:46 am
by Patrick Mazzolo
Train wrote:Well good news and bad news. The good news is it's working. The bad news, I don't know why. I've been playing with the comp, rerendering the mov file in different apps with different settings etc. What I've got is multiple versions using all kinds of rendering and unfortunatly, I'm not sure where the working version came from. Thank god I don't do this for a living or I'd be eternally unemployed. One thing though Patrick, the working comp is the original length so it doesn't appear the short static portion was the cause Thanks very much for helping though. I appreciate it.


Oh! Well very odd indeed. I guess that's just another one of life's mysteries in the computer world haha. I was going to suggest a while back that you did a complete reinstall of Encore, which may still be the case, but I'm glad you've got it working in the end.

As always you are most welcome. I'm just doing my job here at VCP - Trying to help out as much as possible. If you ever need more help, especially with Encore, please feel free to contact me (either via PM or again in this thread).

All the best for your future projects! ;)

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

PostPosted: 02/17/2010, 10:16 am
by Han1
At the moment I try to create a DVD menue with a film in full movie length.
It is in the AVI format, and it takes hour and hours to "transcode".
Is it because of the format?
Please answer!!!