How is the cloud/haze made?

Discuss Video Copilot Tutorials & Presets

How is the cloud/haze made?

Postby Director on 09/20/2018, 6:51 pm

How can I recreate these clouds that look 3d and go through them? It wasn't in the tutorial. Not sure how to make it look as good as the tutorial. >-||

twitter.com/videography
Director

Re: How is the cloud/haze made?

Postby ctarv419 on 09/21/2018, 3:14 pm

There are three different types of elements in the trailer that I think you're referring to, one is the clouds around the planets which are actual ORB layers with cloud textures applied for the diffuse and possibly other maps. These can be at any "altitude" above the planet based on the size of the sphere that you map your clouds to in ORB. The other is subtle lense flare and non-3d gradient elements that just serve to give everything a nice hazy cover over everything, but aren't necessarily part of the 3D scene. The third element that I think is the most useful for what you're describing, is 2D cloud elements applied to 3D plane layers and thrown out in the 3D space of the scene in front of, behind, and around the planets. Any cloud or smoke element can be pressed into service for this, the key is to have the 3D plane correctly sized and placed in your scene to give you the look you want. Just start by dropping a cloud element into the timeline, clicking the 3D Layer toggle, and changing it's transfer mode to screen. You can pre-compose it and add masks, colorization, and an extract effect to take out the black if you want.

Hope that gets you on track.

Good luck!
I really miss being able to have an Avatar : (
ctarv419

Twitter: ctarv419
System Specs: Build: Element x64 2.2.2 (2160.hotfix)

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor
RAM: 65410MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: TITAN Xp/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 24.21.13.9836
GPU RAM: 12288MB
GPU Code: 0

CL0: TITAN Xp (100.0%) (GL Interop)

Postby Director on 09/21/2018, 10:52 pm

ctarv419 wrote:The third element that I think is the most useful for what you're describing, is 2D cloud elements applied to 3D plane layers and thrown out in the 3D space of the scene in front of, behind, and around the planets. Any cloud or smoke element can be pressed into service for this, the key is to have the 3D plane correctly sized and placed in your scene to give you the look you want. Just start by dropping a cloud element into the timeline, clicking the 3D Layer toggle, and changing it's transfer mode to screen. You can pre-compose it and add masks, colorization, and an extract effect to take out the black if you want.

Hope that gets you on track.

Good luck!

The haze I'm talking about is like in the thumbnail of the Youtube video. Where you can see how the smaller planet looks like theres space nebula between the big and small planet almost.. I'm making fractal solid and placing it, but it's not looking correct, for some reason it won't go behind the plugin earth layers... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
twitter.com/videography
Director

Postby star+circle on 09/22/2018, 12:13 am

It should go behind the Orb layers just fine if you put it below them in the layer stack. Unless you have all Orb layers in add or screen mode or something.
star+circle

Return to VC Tutorials & Presets