Binge Watching (follow up)

Discuss Video Copilot Tutorials & Presets

Binge Watching (follow up)

Postby emokidwatson on 05/25/2016, 11:28 am

Me again. This is a follow up to my other forum post about tutorials.

Any tips or techniques on binge watching tutorials? Do I have to watch one a day or watch like 2-6 tutorials each week or day?
emokidwatson

System Specs: TOSHIBA/PC Laptop 64 Bit

Processor: INTEL(R) CORE i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
NVIDA Geoforce Gtx

Re: Binge Watching (follow up)

Postby Duncan on 05/25/2016, 2:37 pm

I'd say more importantly, follow along with the tutorials to begin with.

It will help with your understanding later on.

Don't just binge watch tutorials back-to-back-to-back. Actually follow along with the steps and create what is being created in the tutorials. It will take longer, but you'll retain more.

Later you'll be able to go back and re-watch tutorials, or watch new tutorials with a better understanding of how things work.

Edit: I'd say a tutorial a day would be a good pace for starting out. Even if it's every other day. Heck, even a tutorial a week. Giving yourself time to process things or trying to use the things you've learned on your own project in-between tutorials will help also.
Duncan

Postby Farmfield on 05/26/2016, 6:39 am

Duncan wrote:I'd say more importantly, follow along with the tutorials to begin with.

Don't just binge watch tutorials back-to-back-to-back. Actually follow along with the steps and create what is being created in the tutorials. It will take longer, but you'll retain more.

I would say that differs from person to person. Personally, I never follow/work along when I look at tutorials. And the stuff you retain from doing that, well, that's detail settings type stuff - for me that's something you don't want to remember. At least that's how I work.

I would instead propose watching tutorials seeing how the tutor solves problems (and learn from that) is the bigger benefit. Take an early Element v1 tutorial, how much haven't changed since the first version? You are really not helped at all by knowing how to do a very specific thing in Element v1 that is changed in Element v2. You are also not helped at all if you jump into Fusion or Hitfilm and want to recreate something dine in Element.

But if you understand the concepts of 3D, the cartesian coordinate system, the basics of linear algebra (vector math) and trigonometry, how meshes work,how normals are computed and how UV mapping is handled, etc, it's pretty easy to map functionality in any 3D app or plugin to that knowledge.

Well, that's how I do it, anyway... :D
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Duncan on 05/26/2016, 8:50 am

To each their own I suppose. When I was first starting out I used to follow along, ad nauseam. Now that I have a better understanding of settings and plugins I usually just watch tutorials for the content.

I do agree it's important not to get hung up on little details. It's more important to experiment and see what works for you, or if you can create something new. I would say, though, that there are a lot of things you can learn from tutorials that can transfer over to other programs/versions. There's still plenty of useful information in the Element V1 tutorials that transfers over to V2. Having an understanding of how something works in one program can help you understand, or at least try to find the equivalent in another program.
Duncan

Postby emokidwatson on 05/26/2016, 6:20 pm

Duncan wrote:I'd say more importantly, follow along with the tutorials to begin with.

Later you'll be able to go back and re-watch tutorials, or watch new tutorials with a better understanding of how things work.

Thank you. Still confused about following along though.
emokidwatson

System Specs: TOSHIBA/PC Laptop 64 Bit

Processor: INTEL(R) CORE i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
NVIDA Geoforce Gtx

Postby plae57 on 05/27/2016, 4:00 am

I think everyone's advice is more or less the same. Watch the videos at a pace that suits you. What you want to take from the tutorial is not to be able to build what the tutorial does, but rather to learn the kinds of skills presented in the tutorial and make them your own. You don't have to memorize EVERYTHING, you only have to remember that you can do it. If you need to look at the tutorial again 4 months from now when you actually put the skills to work just look at it again. And the tutorial to remind you how.

You're getting way to hung up on "how" to learn from tutorials. Just watch, play with the skills, and absorb the knowledge...
plae57

Postby Farmfield on 05/28/2016, 3:32 am

Well, about getting hanged up on "how" to learn might not be a bad thing - because I'm guessing the OP is asking this specifically as he doesn't feel he's retaining the knowledge and/or learning fast enough.

It's well documented how different people learn the best/fastest, differently. Some better digest written information, some video, some by lecture. Some people learn better doing steps practically, some (like me) are more into "conceptual" learning, etc...

So I agree with Plae's first block, you gotta find what works for you - but it might not be a bad idea to figure out how you as an individual learn the best. :D
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to VC Tutorials & Presets