Remebering Tutorials

Discuss Video Copilot Tutorials & Presets

Remebering Tutorials

Postby emokidwatson on 05/13/2016, 3:22 pm

Hello

I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a simple question. You see, I am one of the people who watches tutorials and copying what I see. So luckily, I read one of the forum posts about learning the techniques instead of copying. But, here is another problem. I've having trouble trying to remember all of these tutorials and techniques and I'm keep forgetting some. So sometimes, I would go back to the tutorial and back to after effects. So my question is, is there a way to remember all these techniques without trying to look back at the tutorial? Any advice? I was thinking of writing down some of Andrews techniques just for reference.

Damario
emokidwatson

System Specs: TOSHIBA/PC Laptop 64 Bit

Processor: INTEL(R) CORE i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
NVIDA Geoforce Gtx

Re: Remebering Tutorials

Postby star+circle on 05/13/2016, 10:32 pm

The more you do, the better you remember. If you just look at the tutorials, it will be very hard to remember exactly how something was done. Also, I find that if you have a definite goal of where or how to use some technique, it improves retention. That's my experience.
star+circle

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 05/14/2016, 3:31 am

I always find the problem with following tutorials is they tell you what numbers to put where and where to move sliders, etc. So, you never actually learn the options that are in there. Take Trapcode particular. You can find a tutorial to do nearly anything with it.. But, anytime you want to redo that effect, you'll have to go find that tutorial, most likely, because there are SO many numbers to change. However, if you spend the same amount of time watching Harry Franks tutorials on what each button does, at the end of it, you'll be able to create whatever you want by playing with the sliders until you find what you're after, because you'll know which sliders/numbers to play with.

That goes for everything. You have to spend time not making a finished product, but rather playing with the tool and seeing what things do. If you get stuck, google THAT slider or effect and figure out what it does and how it could be used. You'll remember a lot more this way.. BUT it'll take a lot longer too..
Guitarboy2828

Postby emokidwatson on 05/14/2016, 6:53 am

Still do I have to take notes or just use my memory?
emokidwatson

Processor: INTEL(R) CORE i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
NVIDA Geoforce Gtx

Postby plae57 on 05/14/2016, 11:24 am

emokidwatson wrote:Still do I have to take notes or just use my memory?

That is kind of your choice. I usually watch a tutorial once without stopping, or trying anything. Then I watch it again. The second time I am playing around with the skills the tutorial is trying to describe. Then I try to use the skills, referring back to the tutorial only when I have to. At this point I move on to something else because I know if I ever need to do this thing again, I kind of know how to do it, and I know where the reference video can be found.

The way you do it mat be different. You don't have to know how to do a lot of things. You need to know where to find out how to do those things if you need them in the future.
plae57

Postby Guitarboy2828 on 05/15/2016, 6:53 am

plae57 wrote:You don't have to know how to do a lot of things. You need to know where to find out how to do those things if you need them in the future.

This is why I watch talks/tutorials.. So, most the time I'll just watch them and then maybe mess around with a similar project so I sort of use the tools. But, I want to know what is possible within my program, so should a project call for it, I know where to find what I know is possible.

On the flip side, if you don't have client work and are trying to create things on your own. I'd still create projects and set a deadline and go for it. Create a short film or a fake title sequence or broadcast advert for a fake company, whatever. Then, storyboard an idea, not thinking of what you can or can't actually do right now. Then, start figuring out how to do it, watch tutorials that help you achieve that goal. I promise, you won't need to take notes, you'll remember because you'll spend so much time tweaking it to fit your project, you'll know how to do it in a few months time.
Guitarboy2828

Postby emokidwatson on 05/15/2016, 9:40 am

plae57 wrote:
emokidwatson wrote:Still do I have to take notes or just use my memory?

That is kind of your choice. I usually watch a tutorial once without stopping, or trying anything. Then I watch it again. The second time I am playing around with the skills the tutorial is trying to describe. Then I try to use the skills, referring back to the tutorial only when I have to. At this point I move on to something else because I know if I ever need to do this thing again, I kind of know how to do it, and I know where the reference video can be found.

The way you do it mat be different. You don't have to know how to do a lot of things. You need to know where to find out how to do those things if you need them in the future.

So basically I have to watch the tutorial and watch it again while in after effects.
emokidwatson

NVIDA Geoforce Gtx

Postby plae57 on 05/15/2016, 10:57 am

emokidwatson wrote:So basically I have to watch the tutorial and watch it again while in after effects.

No, that's what I do. If it works for you, then yes, that's what you do. Several people have commented here. Watch the tutorials, and learn the concepts, not the tutorial. Learning how to make an effect that looks exactly like the tutorial is not an accomplishment. Learning the concept behind the tutorial. Then in the future, you know you have that skill if you need it, and you know where to find how to do it.
plae57

Postby emokidwatson on 05/21/2016, 7:05 am

plae57 wrote:
emokidwatson wrote:So basically I have to watch the tutorial and watch it again while in after effects.

No, that's what I do. If it works for you, then yes, that's what you do. Several people have commented here. Watch the tutorials, and learn the concepts, not the tutorial. Learning how to make an effect that looks exactly like the tutorial is not an accomplishment. Learning the concept behind the tutorial. Then in the future, you know you have that skill if you need it, and you know where to find how to do it.

I guess I have to learn the techniques and experiment with the techniques instead of the actual effect. So the concepts are the techniques like reverse tracking or using the light emitter in particular. Thanks for the advice. Another thing, when watching the same tutorial for a second time while in after effects. What should I do? Should I do what the tutorials doing? Just need a answer in more detail.
emokidwatson

NVIDA Geoforce Gtx

Postby Farmfield on 05/21/2016, 9:43 am

LOL, I google shit and dig into old tutorials every other day, sometimes in regard to amazingly simple stuff, hehe, the name of a node, a specific expression, script syntaxing, etc...

And there's really no need to keep everything in your head, what you need is to learn how to break things down in steps to get you where you need to go, then you solve it step by step. If you get stuck on one step, you dig into it, google it, ask someone, that isn't a big deal. But if you can't deconstruct a problem into those steps, you are already screwed. So just keep doing stuff, experiment, do RnD, and watch tutorials, lots of tutorials, rewatch tutorials, even doing tutorials is a great way to learn stuff...

In regard to problem solving in general, do other stuff, puzzles, build things in real life. For me, renovating a couple of old Land Rovers boosted my problem solving skills immensely. I can honestly say I became a better compositor from rebuilding a gearbox or two. Because knowledge will only take you so far. Using what you know - and adapting to what you don't know, working around it - is a whole other matter.

So yeah, that's what I've been doing for some 25 years now, and I almost know what I'm doing, sometimes. :D
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby emokidwatson on 05/21/2016, 5:04 pm

Thank You.
emokidwatson

NVIDA Geoforce Gtx

Return to VC Tutorials & Presets