Need Help to Fix Footage with Missing & Stalled Frames

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

Need Help to Fix Footage with Missing & Stalled Frames

Postby ajepyx1 on 07/8/2016, 9:42 pm

I shot footage on my Black Magic Cinema Pocket Camera last month in ProRes22 at 1920x1080. When I played back after export, all my footage had dropped frames and/or frames that froze on their own. I thought it was my computer, but it was also on the camera when I did a playback on it. The likely cause may have been the SD card which I had used for the first time that day. It was the SanDisk Ultra 64GB card.

These are sample video links of what I'm talking about:

Is there any program or Video Copilot plugin that I can use to fix this problem without having to re-shoot?
ajepyx1

System Specs: iMac OSX El Capitan
Version 10.11.5
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Processor iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Graphics iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Re: Need Help to Fix Footage with Missing & Stalled Frames

Postby Farmfield on 07/9/2016, 2:26 pm

The first shot is going to be tricky. Though you might be able to fix the woman walking, the car is a bigger nut to crack. You might be able to pull it off, creating a matte painting out of the shot and reprojecting it on a 3D model using a tracked/corrected camera, then using a morph for the missing frames of the car.

The second shot is easier, as the first shot, I would do a reprojection setup to solve the camera shake and such - but it's a better angle, so it's simpler to fix the car.

That being said, it's a lot of work and I wouldn't even try to doing setups like this in AE, it's a Nuke job for sure... I don't know of any plugins that can do stuff like this, you can't really stretch optical flow to that extent, it'll artifact into oblivion. :(
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby ajepyx1 on 07/9/2016, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the response Farmfield. I have a better take of the first shot without the woman and the frames only lag towards the end when the car makes the 2nd left turn. It may be much easier to track.
ajepyx1

System Specs: iMac OSX El Capitan
Version 10.11.5
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Processor iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Graphics iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Postby Farmfield on 07/9/2016, 11:27 pm

Everything static can be fixed even without a reprojection I think, the issue is the car. If you have two shots, though, it might be possible to comp the car from one into the other, if you have a good track. And the woman can also be solved by painting her out.

Doesn't mean it's the best solution to do this in comp, it's all up to you. It's about if you retake the shots and what that will entail compared to the time and effort it will take to fix it in comp. :P

Do follow up on this after you solved it, just fun to hear what you ended up doing. :)
Farmfield

Postby star+circle on 07/13/2016, 2:38 am

star+circle

Postby Farmfield on 07/13/2016, 4:36 am

Re:Flex is like the light version of the spline warp in Nuke, and you could try to morph between frames, with a bit of work and tweaking, you'll at least get a sense if it's possible to make it work.
Farmfield

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression