Small size animation/film for an application

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

Small size animation/film for an application

Postby Glooomy on 07/28/2014, 12:49 am

Hi,

Someone asked me to make an animation, not longer than 30 sec for an app in the app/playstore to explain how stuff works in and outside the car. Due to augmented reality, the application made it possible to recognise several parts of the car when you hold op you're phone in front of the object. When is recognises it, information will show up, showing/explaining how the object (e.g. volume button) works etc. Now 'the client' wants me to make a animation, explaining how te object works, rather than showing simple text.

Now here is my question: What is the best way to export the animation so that I can keep my file size as small as possible, so that the application will not get to large (it's already 80mb). Is it .swf, .gif, .m4a, .mov? Or is there another way? I make my 2D animations in after effects, or is there a better program for the job?

Greets,
Ruben
Glooomy

Re: Small size animation/film for an application

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 07/29/2014, 7:05 am

The format you should create is dependent on how the client plans to use the file. It's no good providing a SWF if they want it to play on iPhones.

MP4 is probably ideal, but that's just a guess. You'll have to tweak with the data rate to try to get it small enough.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Glooomy on 07/29/2014, 10:15 am

I just bring down the framerate to about 15fps and the framesize to (640x360) and I end up with a file size of roughly 2MB. Is there anything I can do to make it smaller without losing details? Or is this just it? (A)
Glooomy

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 07/29/2014, 11:07 am

What format and codec are you recording in? What is your data rate?
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby krisq on 08/20/2014, 5:29 am

I think these kind of animation should be done in Flash, as vectors. AE won't allow you to export as vector fomat AFAIK. Don't be fooled that you can export to SWF, it'll still be video.
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/us ... dff7-79caa
krisq

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression