Invisible Ketchup TV ad - How?

Only Post Amazing Reels and Commercials

Invisible Ketchup TV ad - How?

Postby Marc Holmes on 07/3/2010, 3:49 am

The is this Ketchup ad here in the UK I cant work out how they did it. I guess rotoscoping for some of it but how you remove a bottle from some one hand like that. It cant be acting because there are shock waves on the arms from hitting the bottle. Amazing stuff! any ideas of what's going on?

Heinz Tomato Ketchup TV Ad UK
Marc Holmes

Re: Invisible Ketchup TV ad - How?

Postby HenryKlein on 07/6/2010, 9:20 am

Interesting…
I was thinking that maybe they had used a green bottle, but then that got me wondering how they could replace the hands behind it?
Hmmm… :=~
HenryKlein

Postby sysopny on 07/6/2010, 10:55 am

well, i can only guess here, but maybe it was some glass object to make all of this hands looks like it pushed against something. And then it was precisely tracked and color corrected to made it invisible?
or fingers and palm distortion against bottle of ketchup get made in 3d and then applied to footage through tracking points?
sysopny

Postby Rob Neal on 07/6/2010, 11:08 am

Don't be silly, they are just actors pretending there was a bottle. :lol:
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby Reebanoomba on 07/6/2010, 4:09 pm

Rob Neal wrote:Don't be silly, they are just actors pretending there was a bottle. :lol:

look again
Reebanoomba

Postby dndd8686 on 07/6/2010, 6:31 pm

Rob Neal wrote:Don't be silly, they are just actors pretending there was a bottle. :lol:

That's what I thought too. I thought about the whole visible force of impact from the slo-motion, but figured it could be visually created with 3D. Then I looked again, specifically at 0:03. The guy's hand is clearly hitting something, though it certainly isn't a ketchup bottle; it's like a round cylinder tube that he's holding by letting it rest in his palm. Not to mention that there are very vague differences in the color of his hands.

sysopny wrote:well, i can only guess here, but maybe it was some glass object to make all of this hands looks like it pushed against something. And then it was precisely tracked and color corrected to made it invisible?
or fingers and palm distortion against bottle of ketchup get made in 3d and then applied to footage through tracking points?

The first guess is what I'm starting to think. Probably a glass tube that they color corrected to god-knows-what-length to make it appear as if nothing was there.
dndd8686

Postby Rob Neal on 07/6/2010, 6:35 pm

Reebanoomba wrote:

look again

||-<

They are! They are just good actors that learn to flatten their palms on cue...

PS: Did you know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Rob Neal

Postby Mufti on 07/6/2010, 7:11 pm

So tell us, Mr Know-it-all, how did they do the shockwave effect on the arm, or the effect of skin being pressed against a surface if they are just pretending to hold something. Unless this is an Actor's Studio trick I'd never heard about...

No, in some of the shots, they're just pretending to hold the bottle of course, but in those specific shots where there is an obvious interaction, there are holding a green object and then there is careful reconstruction of the hand behind it, probably based of photographic plates and mate taken on set.

It's also probably mixed with more traditional practical effects done in camera.
Mufti

Postby Mufti on 07/6/2010, 7:13 pm

dndd8686 wrote:
sysopny wrote:well, i can only guess here, but maybe it was some glass object to make all of this hands looks like it pushed against something. And then it was precisely tracked and color corrected to made it invisible?

The first guess is what I'm starting to think. Probably a glass tube that they color corrected to god-knows-what-length to make it appear as if nothing was there.

No that's not possible, you would have refraction, reflections and all those things that would make the glass obvious and impossible to get rid of.
Mufti

Postby dndd8686 on 07/6/2010, 8:56 pm

Mufti wrote:So tell us, Mr Know-it-all, how did they do the shockwave effect on the arm, or the effect of skin being pressed against a surface if they are just pretending to hold something. Unless this is an Actor's Studio trick I'd never heard about...

No, in some of the shots, they're just pretending to hold the bottle of course, but in those specific shots where there is an obvious interaction, there are holding a green object and then there is careful reconstruction of the hand behind it, probably based of photographic plates and mate taken on set.

It's also probably mixed with more traditional practical effects done in camera.

If that was the case, then why would there be shadows within his palm when he strikes the bottle at 0:03?
dndd8686

Postby Mufti on 07/6/2010, 9:01 pm

The shadow is recreated in post.
Mufti

Postby Mufti on 07/6/2010, 9:04 pm

There is also probably two passes on the shoot... One with the green cylinder, one with the empty hand doing the same thing...

There is never one simple answer for those effects, it's all about smoke and mirror and a combination of trickery.
Mufti

Postby Wafflemao on 07/7/2010, 6:24 am

Seriously? Any good actor knows how to send a ripple of energy into the palm of his hand. You learn that stuff in the early years.
Wafflemao

Postby Rob Neal on 07/7/2010, 7:43 am

Wafflemao wrote:Seriously? Any good actor knows how to send a ripple of energy into the palm of his hand. You learn that stuff in the early years.

Some people have just got no sense of humour...
I would suspect it was done either using a displacement map, or something like the "Liquify" tool
You could also go the whole hog and create a 3D hand and replace it. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut though...

Rob Neal

Postby sysopny on 07/7/2010, 8:11 am

No that's not possible, you would have refraction, reflections and all those things that would make the glass obvious and impossible to get rid of.

well, then another guess - it wasnt glass. some plastic object with transparency and no reflection, like a plastic bottle full of glycerine or something like that. Physical interaction stays the same - i.e. palm and finger distortions, but you would need a lot less efforts to color correct it to looks invisible.
again, it just a guess, maybe they used completely different technique.
sysopny

Postby dndd8686 on 07/7/2010, 8:42 am

Mufti wrote:The shadow is recreated in post.

But what would be the point of that? To make it look less realistic? They wouldn't purposefully add that difference in color if they were trying to go with the effect that it wasn't even there.

I'd still go with my first guess. Refractions and reflections could be controlled by the glass itself and the lighting, I would think.
dndd8686

Postby Mufti on 07/7/2010, 2:08 pm

dndd8686 wrote:But what would be the point of that? To make it look less realistic? They wouldn't purposefully add that difference in color if they were trying to go with the effect that it wasn't even there.

I'd still go with my first guess. Refractions and reflections could be controlled by the glass itself and the lighting, I would think.

Well that's how it's done and if it's done right it can look realistic... And sorry, but there is no material available to man today, that is going to have the physical property to have no refraction or/and reflection, it is just not possible. What you're talking about has the property of Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak.
Mufti

Postby dndd8686 on 07/7/2010, 4:32 pm

Mufti wrote:
dndd8686 wrote:But what would be the point of that? To make it look less realistic? They wouldn't purposefully add that difference in color if they were trying to go with the effect that it wasn't even there.

Well that's how it's done and if it's done right it can look realistic... And sorry, but there is no material available to man today, that is going to have the physical property to have no refraction or/and reflection, it is just not possible. What you're talking about has the property of Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak.

haha, well, even Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak has refraction / reflection; at least in the first movie that I just saw recently. I don't mean that there wouldn't be refraction or reflection, but it could be controlled to the point where it isn't visible or noticeable. Personally if I wanted to make it seem realistic in the sense that it's giving the impression that the bottle isn't there, I'd try my best to create it without shadow. The whole difference in opinion I think comes in on whether or not they wanted to make it invisible or non-existant; but that seems like stupid unnecessary discussion at this point.

agree to disagree; in any case I'd like to know how they did this sort of effect for certain, but I highly doubt they'd have a video on how they did it.
dndd8686

Postby Wafflemao on 07/7/2010, 8:51 pm

Rob Neal wrote:
Wafflemao wrote:Seriously? Any good actor knows how to send a ripple of energy into the palm of his hand. You learn that stuff in the early years.

I would suspect it was done either using a displacement map, or something like the "Liquify" tool
You could also go the whole hog and create a 3D hand and replace it. Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut though...

I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything; genuine attempt at a joke. No lies.
Wafflemao

Postby Alem on 07/22/2010, 8:43 am

I think they just cutted off the frames were the actor's hand hits the other hand and they interpolated those 3-4 frames
Alem

Postby Cryptic on 07/23/2010, 1:54 am

I watched 0:03 really closely a couple of times, it seems that the very frame before the impact, there is no shadow, then right when he hits the 'bottle' the palm becomes darker as if the light was coming from somewhere else. This might have something to do with the effect. :/
I was crying, because I had no shoes...
Then I saw a man, who had no feet...
Cryptic

Postby forgottenbow on 07/26/2010, 11:27 pm

Wafflemao wrote:
Rob Neal wrote:

I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything; genuine attempt at a joke. No lies.

I thought it was quite funny actually. Ignore that old bat.
forgottenbow

Postby tombalev on 08/2/2010, 5:48 am

0:25 -- bizzare middle finger :lol:
tombalev

Twitter: TomBalev

Postby ldsmann on 08/3/2010, 6:22 pm

I agree with "sysopny" this is very likely a glycerine trick. some green screening maybe for the bottom/top of the bottle, and then a little clean up in post. that's my guess...check out what I'm talking about here: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anJuZdL_vsw&playnext=1&videos=PO-zomZRi7k[/youtube]
ldsmann

Postby rdfloyd on 08/3/2010, 9:21 pm

ldsmann wrote:I agree with "sysopny" this is very likely a glycerine trick. some green screening maybe for the bottom/top of the bottle, and then a little clean up in post. that's my guess...check out what I'm talking about here

I guess we have our answer?
rdfloyd

Next

Return to Inspirational Stuff