beautiful pop up book

Only Post Amazing Reels and Commercials

beautiful pop up book

Postby morstua on 04/27/2014, 12:09 am

I found this
I think it's awesome and i wish someone could point me in the right direction to make something similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgHozezM5g

can't find any decent tutorial
morstua

Re: beautiful pop up book

Postby carbonbear on 08/8/2014, 9:47 pm

Just apply the principles you've learned about 3d and you'll be fine. Most things you want to make aren't going to have a specific tutorial associated with them. And rightfully so. It'll be challenge, but I bet you can do it! All this stuff is just art, right? :)
carbonbear

Postby anel_77 on 08/28/2014, 1:58 am

carbonbear wrote:Just apply the principles you've learned about 3d and you'll be fine. Most things you want to make aren't going to have a specific tutorial associated with them. And rightfully so. It'll be challenge, but I bet you can do it! All this stuff is just art, right? :)

I dont think you pointed him in the right direction at all "carbonbear". I think if someone here could point us both in the right direction for producing something like this would be really appreciated.
anel_77

Postby Farmfield on 08/28/2014, 3:38 am

anel_77 wrote:
carbonbear wrote:Just apply the principles you've learned about 3d and you'll be fine. Most things you want to make aren't going to have a specific tutorial associated with them. And rightfully so. It'll be challenge, but I bet you can do it! All this stuff is just art, right? :)

I don't think you pointed him in the right direction at all "carbonbear". I think if someone here could point us both in the right direction for producing something like this would be really appreciated.

Hehe, how about pointing you towards a masters in engineering? Because this is mainly an engineering problem and I would propose the 3D and animation part is the 'easy' part of it. Figuring out how you are going to simplify your scene as flat planes and figure out how to fold them over in a way that actually works, technically, as well as aesthetically, that's a lot of figuring out, testing and tweaking...

I would compare this to creating a Transformer, be it the plastic toy or one of the 3D models used in the film franchise, I find them both mind blowing in terms of just making it work as well as looking cool...
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby anel_77 on 09/5/2014, 8:57 am

Farmfield wrote:
anel_77 wrote:

I don't think you pointed him in the right direction at all "carbonbear". I think if someone here could point us both in the right direction for producing something like this would be really appreciated.

Hehe, how about pointing you towards a masters in engineering? Because this is mainly an engineering problem and I would propose the 3D and animation part is the 'easy' part of it. Figuring out how you are going to simplify your scene as flat planes and figure out how to fold them over in a way that actually works, technically, as well as aesthetically, that's a lot of figuring out, testing and tweaking...

I would compare this to creating a Transformer, be it the plastic toy or one of the 3D models used in the film franchise, I find them both mind blowing in terms of just making it work as well as looking cool...

Well how about i just leave it alone then hahah! I think i am 2 old to go back to stressing out at my tutors!
anel_77

Postby Farmfield on 09/5/2014, 10:57 am

anel_77 wrote:Well how about i just leave it alone then hahah! I think i am 2 old to go back to stressing out at my tutors!

I think it was at CG Society's forum, someone asking how you would design a transformer in 3D and it's just an impossible question as it's an engineering feat. It's kinda the same with a pop-up-book. You gotta study how they work and then recreate it in 3D with rigging/skinning from your own designs. Not really my kind of project, it just sounds like a lot of work... ;)
Farmfield

Postby gregalan on 10/9/2014, 5:43 pm

Hi Farmfield. You are so right about the complexity and the engineering required to make these. So right that you got me thinking that there must be another way, and I came up with this:

Thanks for getting the brain turning.
gregalan

Postby Farmfield on 10/9/2014, 7:40 pm

That's a great setup if you want to do a simple setup, though this is more along the line what I had in mind, this is the kinda crap I grew up with, amazingly fascinating. Not only did it blown my mind back when I was a kid, it still does... :D

Farmfield

Postby gregalan on 10/9/2014, 8:59 pm

Yes, I love them too. I wouldn't in a fantasy try to make something like that in AE - though I did come across a tutorial that tackled it (very long and of course very complex) - life's too short. Though even the 'simpler' traditional AE type tutorials are very sparse and mainly deal with bought templates.
gregalan

Postby Farmfield on 10/10/2014, 5:45 am

gregalan wrote:Yes, I love them too. I wouldn't in a fantasy try to make something like that in AE - though I did come across a tutorial that tackled it (very long and of course very complex) - life's too short. Though even the 'simpler' traditional AE type tutorials are very sparse and mainly deal with bought templates.

Yeah, animating such a setup by keyframing would be a nightmare, the preferred solution would be using 3D layers with actual rigging and then drive it through expressions, so way, way beyond what I would ever take on myself - but I'm sure there's many users here who likes this type of expression problem solving and would actually enjoy doing such a setup. :)
Farmfield

Return to Inspirational Stuff