Suitible graphics card for after effects cs5

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

Suitible graphics card for after effects cs5

Postby Cherlique on 01/21/2011, 10:12 pm

i just received my new canon hv40 hd camcorder. the footage looks very good capturing went pretty flexible and playing back stutterd a bit at first but went smooth after that. the problems started when i tarted to add effects it took me almost an hour to render a one minute clip. im thinking of upgrading to a core 2 quad 3.0 ghz processor, but would it be significantly different if i buy a 2.5ghz or 2.8ghz instead or is the 3.0ghz important for hd video? also i would like a workstation video card for video editing and visual effects i was thinking quadro but magic bullet looks requires 1300 or later which are pretty expensive i also tought matrox would be good but again the price is a bit too high for me as i live in south america and i have to pay a lot more fees on top of the original price and shipping. so what would be the best card for me? i record parties weddings etc also make music videos etc iuse a lot of visual effects as well as motion graphix and 3d. my current set up is: intel pentium dual core 2.8ghz, 4gb ram, nvidia geforce 9400gt..
i also use premiere pro a lot.
Cherlique

Re: Suitible graphics card for after effects cs5

Postby Sasha dal Ponte on 01/22/2011, 2:24 am

For the 1000000 time - graphic card does basically NOTHING in AE.

Other that that, get more RAM. You could change the CPU for the faster one, some i7 for example but have in mind that you'll never get real time playback in AE.
Sasha dal Ponte
graphic designer

.: MY VIMEO PORTFOLIO :.

http://www.mreza.tv
sasa.dalponte@gmail.com
Sasha dal Ponte

Twitter: sasadalponte

Postby soulmman on 01/22/2011, 7:14 am

KillerLoop wrote:For the 1000000 time - graphic card does basically NOTHING in AE.

I really don't think that's true;
I purchased a Quadro FX card from Nvidia and it sure helped on the speed of my special effects scenes, DOF, Particular, heck, even Glow and Optical flares.
soulmman

Postby Awakurimi on 01/22/2011, 2:09 pm

Graphics cards arn't really much use in AE at the moment. Yes, you can use openGl for faster previews, but there are many issues and bugs, its much better to add more ram instead.
Awakurimi

Postby Andrew_DeLong on 01/23/2011, 12:04 am

Sorry, but your graphics card has little effect in After Effects (see the wordplay I did there...heh heh heh.....yeah, lame....)

Anyway.....

Your graphics card is of more use to you in Adobe Premier Pro, where the GPU acceleration works with the M.P.B.E.

Now, if you're using the Dynamic link to do something fancy in A.E and want it to play back fast and smooth in P. Pro, then the graphics card may be of some great help. The best NVIDIA card (in the GeForce line) for you (and according to Adobe) is the GTX 470, which give full support and GPU Acceleration in Premier Pro. The full list is here: [url]http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/search_result.html?manuSearchVar=1&modelSearchVar=0&supportSearchVar=0&brand=NVIDIA&dataFormat=&version=CS5&device=graphic&format=
[/url]
But for your purposes in A.E, I'd look into more (and faster) RAM would work well for you. Try about 8GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM (that ought to increase your performance nicely). As for the CPU, the mid to high end i7's (or even the high end i5's) are all good options. The AMD Athalon II X6 is also a nice (and affordable) processor.

In the end, you only need a better graphics card if you want the GPU Acceleration for Premier Pro. For anything else, it's all RAM and CPU. The bigger and faster, the better.
There are three people you meet in life.
The people you like.
The people you hate.
And the people that make you think, Oh dear sweet Buddha strike them down now.

This third group accounts for about 95% of the human species.
Andrew_DeLong

Postby Rob Neal on 01/23/2011, 2:05 am

soulmman wrote:
KillerLoop wrote:For the 1000000 time - graphic card does basically NOTHING in AE.

I purchased a Quadro FX card from Nvidia and it sure helped on the speed of my special effects scenes, DOF, Particular, heck, even Glow and Optical flares.

Yes, I have one too, specifically designed for Adobe Creative Suite. (Quadro CX) It is fast and has lots of RAM, so screen updates etc are good, but it doe NOT do diddly-squat for rendering. If you think it is, you are deluding yourself. It really only shines at previews in Premiere.
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby soulmman on 01/26/2011, 7:08 am

Rob Neal wrote:
soulmman wrote:

Yes, I have one too, specifically designed for Adobe Creative Suite. (Quadro CX) It is fast and has lots of RAM, so screen updates etc are good, but it doe NOT do diddly-squat for rendering. If you think it is, you are deluding yourself. It really only shines at previews in Premiere.

True, but it's so damn helpful with the faster previews :D
soulmman

Postby Rob Neal on 01/26/2011, 7:56 am

soulmman wrote:True, but it's so damn helpful with the faster previews :D

Not in AE - Only Premiere. RAM previews use the main RAM, not the the GPU's.
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression