AE and PrPro performance problems

For Windows, Apple, displays, mouse pads etc.

AE and PrPro performance problems

Postby mosquito on 08/4/2010, 11:49 am

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone could help.
My System:
Intel Quad Core 9550
2,83MHz
8GB Ram
64bit Vista
nVidia geForce 9400GT
I shoot with a Panasonic HDC-HS 700(AVCHD)

I have two Hard Discs (WD Caviar black, 750GB) 7200rpm
HDD one: C: and E:
HDD two: D:

I work with CS4 Suite. Some performance problems in Premiere Pro and After Effects.
I read a lot lately that the Grapfic Card is not the problem with performance, but not enough Hard Drives is one.
Now I'm thinking of buying another HDD (WD Caviar black, 750GB) to improve performance.

So now my Questions:
Where should my Disk Cache, Database and Cache Folders in this Menu be:
In Edit-Preferences-Media & Disk Cache-Conformed Media Cache (on the same or on seperate Hard Drives, and if yes, how many)

And how should I proceed with Premiere Pro:
Where should I put my Media Cache Files, Media Cache Data Base (Edit-Preferences-Media)?
And following Folders too?
Project-Project Settings-Scratch Disks (Captured Audio/Video and Preview Audio/Video)
At the moment I have Captured Audio/Video on an extra HDD and Preview Video/Audio on my System HDD(C:)

Fast help would be great,

thx to @ll pilots

mosquito
mosquito

Re: AE and PrPro performance problems

Postby Rob Neal on 08/4/2010, 2:11 pm

Two noticable factors: Firstly, dump Vista. it is totally PANTS. :o
Windows is smaller, leaner, and way faster.

Secondly, hard drives is not just about speed, it's about space and data transfer times.
I would get two WD Velociraptor 10k rpm drives running as RAID 0 (C: drive) and use your older Caviars as D: and E: as scratch disks and temporary project drives.

Keep the operating system and applications on C:, and all projects, work files, clips on D: and E:
One drive only has effectively one head, so rather than it battering itself to death trying to do ten things at once, spread the workload over a number of drives.
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby mosquito on 08/5/2010, 12:13 am

So you say good bye vist......xp or win7 then?

And two VelociRaptor/10k rpm as C:drive (Software Raid 0 is OK?)
System on C: (plus Media & Disc Cache-Disk Cache and Media Cache on C: for After Effects)
and (captured audio/video on D:, preview audio/video on E:, Media Cache Files on C: for Adobe Premiere)

Old Caviars as as D: and E: (also as Raid 0?) or simply as Hard Drives?

And my graphic card is good enough? Because in some forums they say I need a better gpu, nvidia quadro fx 4xxx, 5xxx for example
mosquito

Postby Sasha dal Ponte on 08/5/2010, 2:09 am

mosquito wrote:So you say good bye vist......xp or win7 then?

And two VelociRaptor/10k rpm as C:drive (Software Raid 0 is OK?)
System on C: (plus Media & Disc Cache-Disk Cache and Media Cache on C: for After Effects)
and (captured audio/video on D:, preview audio/video on E:, Media Cache Files on C: for Adobe Premiere)

Old Caviars as as D: and E: (also as Raid 0?) or simply as Hard Drives?

And my graphic card is good enough? Because in some forums they say I need a better gpu, nvidia quadro fx 4xxx, 5xxx for example

He meant Windows 7 but didn't write it. I'm sure that God-Of-War cheesed him off before with video formats so he's distracted a bit.... :lol:

Don't bother with GPU. Only if you buy Quadro for few thousand $$, you'll maybe see some difference. Fix your drives for now.
Sasha dal Ponte
graphic designer

.: MY VIMEO PORTFOLIO :.

http://www.mreza.tv
sasa.dalponte@gmail.com
Sasha dal Ponte

Twitter: sasadalponte

Postby Rob Neal on 08/5/2010, 2:21 am

KillerLoop wrote:He meant Windows 7 but didn't write it. I'm sure that God-Of-War pissed him off before with video formats so he's distracted a bit.... :lol:

Just a bit. I even went on MSN to help the guy out. He adds four separate posts asking essentially the same question, over what I suspect is hooky software in the first place. Some people really have a nerve. They rip off your product and then have the gall to come onto your website and ask how to use it! :twisted:
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Return to Computer Hardware & Technology