Karaoke Text

Scripting for After Effects

Karaoke Text

Postby astroanalyst on 09/4/2008, 8:42 am

I need to do a karaoke style read a long text. I was looking for an elegant solution of highlighting each word as it is being read. There is so much text that it would be difficult to do it all manually.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you!
-astro
astroanalyst

Re: Karaoke Text

Postby mike90 on 09/5/2008, 4:43 pm

If you wanna have a white text in front of a black background, you can use a red solid and make it overlay. Or maybe you can try using the linear wipe effect and animate it.
mike90

Postby Cadrega on 09/7/2008, 1:01 pm

I think u can animate the color text proprieties!
Cadrega

Postby Glacier on 09/8/2008, 2:29 pm

I had the misfortune to do a karaoke text effect a few months back.
Unfortunately because of the different lyrics and tempos, the only way I could work it was by hand (using * key whilst rather embarrassingly singing along to the track).
Then I just used a mask on the text to reveal it as and when.
Then again I'm only an editor and I use AE for very simple things, so what do I know.
I must say it was quite possibly the most tedious job I've done in a very long time.
A rank amateur in a professional world since After Effects 3.0
Glacier

Postby Shouryu on 09/9/2008, 1:17 pm

You can do it by using SSA (Substation Alpha), or Aegisub.
Just make sure that you don't do anything fancy in your .ssa/.ass file... Just make the textfile with only {k} timings.
Then use paul's script: http://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=380
to import the timing into AE. Hand-timing without sound is a pain, this method goes faster - especially if you know what you're doing. I really recommend aegisub, that way you can see what you're doing.
Shouryu

It came to me in a dream.

Postby yeps on 09/12/2008, 1:50 pm

Not terribly sure if this would work or not. but its and interesting idea. and it really did come to me in a dream.. sorta.

record your self singing the song. just the vocals.

then, use expressions conserning the volume, try to make it so that it equals 100 when you speak and 0 when your not..

usually something like cubing the volume, then deviding it by some number works well.. i think also, you can use the linner() function or soemthing. it does not work on my computer for some reason. but you can.

any ways, set up your words with a stroke that reveals the words, make sure it completes the song at 100% to do this, i would just type out the entire song into one line. then key frame the posation so the section that should be on, is on. im sure it will be lots easier then it sounds.

and then animat the stroke using your vocal data. basicly something like

Code: Select all
outPut = outPut+(vocalData/100)/X;
output;

X should equal what the entire data equals devided by one hundred in other words, put the code in with out the "/X" part and go to the end, the final number will probably not be equal to 100 but we want it to be. so what we are oing to do, is take that number, devide it by 100. go back and add in the "/X' part and then replace the X with the final number that you just found.

if that made any sense to any one else, then im not crazy.

i would test it out, but i dont have ae on this comp i'll have to wait til i get home.. sorry. good luck. :D
yeps

Postby Tommy92L on 09/16/2008, 9:21 am

Maybe, I am too oldschool here, but I would just use a animated mask....
Everyone I know. Goes away, In the end.

-Trent Rezner.
Tommy92L

Postby wowo on 09/20/2008, 3:48 am

hey,
thanks to this forum, i am able to know furthur about text karaoke, however, i wonder if i can find any software I need to do a karaoke style read a long text. thanks.
wowo

Postby ngambles on 09/26/2008, 7:20 am

If you can wait just a little bit it looks like CS4 products are gonna have a feature very similar to that. Not sure how easily it can be integrated into AE projects but there was a premiere demonstration when the program converts the audio to text and makes it all searchable. I know it's not really helpful today but it's something to look forward to.
ngambles

Return to After Effects Expressions