Creating Lined Animated Figures in AE! Urgent

Compositing and Motion Graphics

Creating Lined Animated Figures in AE! Urgent

Postby Sasori Frost on 12/2/2017, 5:38 am

Hey Guys, this ones pretty urgent so I hope you all can help me out. I'm currently working on a project and the client wants an intro with outlined soccer players similar to intro in the link below:

Link: ...

I've been trying to emulate this by masking out the motion of the players in the video below however I have been key-framing body parts for days. Time is running out and I need to know if there is an alternative solution!

I tried:
Grabbing MOCAP data to create lines around the figure. - No Success
Auto-tracing the footage. - No Success

The original creators:
After some searching, I was able to identify that WORKS, originally made this animation. Created with Motion Capture, CGI animation and Particle effects. ... t-toolkit/

If you have any information or ideas on achieving this, please let me know as soon as you can :)
VC Forum pic 1.JPG
Masking result
VC Forum pic 2.JPG
1 of 3 footage being masked
Sasori Frost
System Specs: OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 6.1.7601

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor
RAM: 16340MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver:
GPU Code: 0

Re: Creating Lined Animated Figures in AE! Urgent

Postby QNag on 12/24/2017, 3:19 am

I don't have a complete solution for you, but I was thinking the field serves as a natural green screen. Perhaps you could isolate the players by simply keying out the field..???
System Specs: Intel Core i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50GHz

Postby JPT7505 on 12/24/2017, 2:42 pm

You may want to look at one of the cartoon effects that could possibly make outlines. Key the field or roto the players then add the cartoon effect. ... OD4xbU2nov
System Specs: CPU: Intel i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 65476MB

GPU: Quadro M6000
GPU RAM: 12288MB

Postby boxtree on 12/29/2017, 7:52 pm

Id probably go for a combination of effects. Duplicate the layer and try bringing up the green in the field. The try keying this.
Duplicate it again and try using something like colourama with a grey ramp as the output. Use a combination of these layers to create a luma matte and show your original footage through this- tweak it until you get the result you need. Then roto the remainder.

You could then use this final result as a matte for the original footage, helps preserve the colour an you can further refine the matte with chokers/feather as needed.

If you want to upload the footage somewhere i will have a try on a sample section to show you what I mean.

I dont think there is one simple answer to this other than painstaking roto.

Return to After Effects