Best 3D software for the price

Audio production, MS paint, Call of Duty, etc

Best 3D software for the price

Postby droidonthemoon on 12/1/2011, 11:42 pm

As a motion graphics artist, I'm finding it necessary to delve into 3D, but I have always put this off. I have just stuck with 2D stuff. Now, considering I will probably want to incorporate this into some special effects stuff later, which software should I go with. I have heard Maya 2011, 3DS Max and Cinema 4D are all good. Vast price differences though and tons of packages that have different applications. Which is the best for (mostly) general work and some special effects work. Photo realism is usually the look my clients like, not so cartoony.
Thoughts?
droidonthemoon

Re: Best 3D software for the price

Postby nico89-fx on 12/2/2011, 9:25 pm

Well.. going from zero to photorealistic won't be an easy feat, no matter the software.
Those you mentioned are all great, even C4D which is by far the cheapest of the lot.
So it's all a matter of preference. For instance, Max and Maya (both by Autodesk right now) have completely different user interfaces and pretty different workflows on several aspects, but the main concepts (modelling and such) remain unchanged throughout every 3d package out there, even blender, as they are non-application dependant.
Since it's all a matter of preference for you at this point, you should check wether you are gonna wanna purchase a product specific plugin for instance, (after all you are gonna want to keep your application, it's gonna cost you some big bucks) or wether you like Maya's interface over Max's (which I admit can be quite counter-intuitive at first glance)
But then again, they all have trial versions for you to get a little bit of a feel for them.
I'd go with Max again if I had to choose, but that's just my two cents.
nico89-fx

Postby Nobber on 12/3/2011, 2:51 am

Best 3D Software for the price? Has to be Blender, surely? Especially if you're starting from scratch and wary of making a large investment.

www.Blender.org
Nobber

Postby Andrew_DeLong on 12/17/2011, 11:47 am

Agreed. Blender is best for the price (it's practically *free* ;) )

Here's a small sample of what Blender (and a few other programs by the same people) is capable of:

There are three people you meet in life.
The people you like.
The people you hate.
And the people that make you think, Oh dear sweet Buddha strike them down now.

This third group accounts for about 95% of the human species.
Andrew_DeLong

Return to Other Software & Tools