Bitmap to Vector Using Element

3d Design and graphics

Bitmap to Vector Using Element

Postby floodjlc on 08/2/2012, 7:11 pm

Hi everyone.....I am very new to Illustrator so please bare with me.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to create something in AE using element, save it as a photoshop file and import it to Illustrator and turn it into a Vector image that looks as clean and crisp as it does in AE? I would love to be able to use element for print but do not want to lose a bunch of quality.

I have tried the auto trace and the quality was not so great after all was said and done.

Thank you in advance.
floodjlc

Re: Bitmap to Vector Using Element

Postby Icemak on 08/2/2012, 7:40 pm

I am no expert, but I have tried in the past.
The Image needs to be fairly simple for the auto trace to work (simple in contrast and color), so likely anything complicated or greatly textured will not work in transforming to a vector image, but I hope someone here has more experience who can shut me up and prove me wrong :lol:
Icemak

Postby nico89-fx on 08/3/2012, 12:09 am

Converting a bitmap to vectors without doing any work can't be done. Not now, not ever. I'm sorry if I burst your bubble. It simply looks wrong in a best case scenario. But it's just because you are looking at it all wrong.
Even then, a 3d render, especially if it's got some kind of realism to it is very hard to get to look real using vectors. It can be done, but it would still be pointless.
What you can (and should) do is simply render the element image at the size you need it for print. You didn't actually state what your print size and dpi are gonna be, but for instance, a standard A4 at 300dpi would be, in pixel size around 2500x3500 (2480x3508 to be precise). Double that for A3, divide it by two for A5, so on and so forth.
If you are printing something much bigger, like a banner or something, chances are you are printing at lower than even 150dpi, so your file sizes wouldn't be that big, and element could probably render those in a while for a single frame, provided you have a decent video card.
And, you don't have to do the whole photoshop intermediate step. Save as psd/tiff/whatever lossless format you'd like out of AE and you are good to go.
It looks to me tough, as if you really need to read a lot on working for prints and such.

Oh, I've found this quite useful a thing to think about every time adobe comes out with a new and mind-blowing feature: If a tool sounds like magic (Be it Autotrace, the RotoBrush, you get the idea) it probably is like magic: non-existent. =)
nico89-fx

Postby floodjlc on 08/3/2012, 4:46 pm

nico89-fx wrote:Converting a bitmap to vectors without doing any work can't be done. Not now, not ever. I'm sorry if I burst your bubble. It simply looks wrong in a best case scenario. But it's just because you are looking at it all wrong.
Even then, a 3d render, especially if it's got some kind of realism to it is very hard to get to look real using vectors. It can be done, but it would still be pointless.
What you can (and should) do is simply render the element image at the size you need it for print. You didn't actually state what your print size and dpi are gonna be, but for instance, a standard A4 at 300dpi would be, in pixel size around 2500x3500 (2480x3508 to be precise). Double that for A3, divide it by two for A5, so on and so forth.
If you are printing something much bigger, like a banner or something, chances are you are printing at lower than even 150dpi, so your file sizes wouldn't be that big, and element could probably render those in a while for a single frame, provided you have a decent video card.
And, you don't have to do the whole photoshop intermediate step. Save as psd/tiff/whatever lossless format you'd like out of AE and you are good to go.
It looks to me tough, as if you really need to read a lot on working for prints and such.

Oh, I've found this quite useful a thing to think about every time adobe comes out with a new and mind-blowing feature: If a tool sounds like magic (Be it Autotrace, the RotoBrush, you get the idea) it probably is like magic: non-existent. =)

Thanks for the info. I was pretty much thinking exactly what you said. And basically I have done a couple things made them double the size and scaled them down in illustrator to work with them and have seen no negative issues. Until I have to do something on a large scale this will be more than fine. It is for store signage.......8.5" x 14" will be a lot of the signs. Maybe some bigger but not a lot.
floodjlc

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator