Photoshop CS6: Color Profile Issue

3d Design and graphics

Photoshop CS6: Color Profile Issue

Postby MadMax on 06/8/2012, 10:58 am

Hello,

recently I have had some color profile issues in PS CS6.

When importing photos , they look saturated and have proper contrast/gamma (in Adobe Camera RAW).
However, after the photos are imported, they appear flat and desaturated. (Unless "Proof Colors" is turned off)
Likewise the exported photos are desaturated and flat (viewed in IrfanView). They look odd on the web too, only Windows Photo Viewer shows the colors properly.

I have figured out how to bypass this problem by converting the image's color profile from Adobe RGB to sRGB.
But since I don't want to do this with every single image, I wondered if there was a way to automatically color manage my photos.

Thanks a lot,
Max
Attachments
Color Profile Issue.jpg
Color Issues
MadMax

Re: Photoshop CS6: Color Profile Issue

Postby ngambles on 06/8/2012, 5:57 pm

MadMax wrote:after the photos are imported, they appear flat and desaturated. (Unless "Proof Colors" is turned off)
Are you printing your images at a professional print place that does CMYK printing? If the answer is no then you can turn "Proof Colors" off and leave it off.

MadMax wrote:photos are desaturated and flat (viewed in IrfanView)
I've never used IrfanView, but suspect it's expecting sRGB images and cannot properly convert from other color spaces.

MadMax wrote:They look odd on the web too
Web browsers are expecting sRGB and most will not properly convert from other color spaces.

Most likely if images are in Adobe RGB color space they will appear more red when viewed with an application that attempts to display it as sRGB.

MadMax wrote:only Windows Photo Viewer shows the colors properly
Obviously this program can properly convert between color spaces.

sRGB is the standard color space for most commercial displays. Adobe RGB is a color space that is capable of producing a greater color range, specifically more saturated colors.

People use Adobe RGB to maintain as much color info as possible while editing and then convert the image to sRGB for final output. Similar to how people use large megapixel cameras, edit the raw image with as much resolution as they can and then scale it down for the final jpg image for the web.

If you want to change the color space of the images opened through camera raw then all you have to do is change the settings in Adobe Camera Raw.

Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 6.47.25 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 6.47.48 PM.png

Pick your desired options and you'll be good to go.

Cheers
Last edited by ngambles on 06/9/2012, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ngambles

Re: Photoshop CS6: Color Profile Issue

Postby MadMax on 06/9/2012, 4:17 am

Thank you that's been really helpful!

Cheers,
Max
MadMax

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator