Having problems importing .obj into Photoshop CS5.1 Extended

3d Design and graphics

Having problems importing .obj into Photoshop CS5.1 Extended

Postby Smime on 03/14/2012, 9:39 am

Hey Dudes and Dudettes! Peeps and Peepettes! Boys and Girls...yeah, you get it.

I'm having large issues with importing .obj to Photoshop from Maya.
When I try to import an error message pops up tellin' me I don't have enough memory (RAM) for the file.
This would'nt be annoying if it was a hardware problem, but atm I'm on 16Gb RAM.

I've tried a couple of solutions:

1. Increasing the RAM usage in PS to 100% (3255Mb).
2. Makin' a basic cube to see if my model was too advanced (Which it clearly wasn't).
Nothin' helped out, just the same old message.

This thing is really buggin' me.

Appreciate the replies guys.
Peace Out
/Smime
Smime

Re: Having problems importing .obj into Photoshop CS5.1 Extended

Postby KebleTar on 03/18/2012, 3:21 am

My suggestion would be to lower the amount of details but since you already tried importing a cube I cannot help you. However why would you want to do that anyway? I never understood the concept of integrating real 3d in Photoshop. You got yourself a powerful 3d package that fits every needs.
KebleTar

Re: Having problems importing .obj into Photoshop CS5.1 Extended

Postby nico89-fx on 04/4/2012, 6:40 pm

Hey, I've just tried on my rig, and I've had no problem importing a close to one million quads model right from 3dsmax. And I've got twelve gigs, not sixteen.
Flaw with what you've tried: Yes, you have 16 gigs of ram, but that clearly is not PS x64, as you can only crank it up to the 32-bit limit. As you can see, 3/16 or around 20% of your ram is really not even kinda close to 100%.
As far as I am concerned, rendering using your 3d app with render passes then bringing that into PS/AE is far better than trying to use photoshop for something it's not meant to do, even if Adobe would like to say otherwise. I can't possibly think of the usefullness of such workflow. Plus, the rendering engine is really lousy.
nico89-fx

Return to Photoshop and Illustrator